Carbohydrates? Newly diagnosed Type 2.

Montyshrew

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
White bread
OK I have updated my food goal diary it was previously set at a Non- Diabetic level to healthily lose weight.
These are the daily guideline limits for me now that I have adjusted it for lower Carb intake. The calorific intake has been lowered since joining it 3 weeks ago by the site due to my weight loss.

Calorie: 1960
Carbs: 120
Fat: 65
Protein: 221
Sodium: 360
Sugar: 72??
( I do not know what my sugar limit should be this is calculated for someone non-diabetic) What should it be?
These limits were all previously higher and I was generally below the limits save for a few Sunday lunches/and Drinking sessions.
If I look at my new carbs allowances against my old intake I have surpassed the limits almost everyday since joining it, although It would be a lot more lower than what I was pre-diagnosis.

The calorie side has become harder but as I will be cutting carbs this should be easier also you get higher limits if you exercise.
Yet adding fats is going to rocket my calorie intake as Cheese/nuts tends to be very high.
Losing all those Carbs is going to hard.
So I need advice on low carb bread? And Cereals. I live in the sticks miles away from health food style shops so need produce that can be purchased from smaller style Supermarkets, I do have a ''Hippy'' shop near so I'll look there but the bread is very expensive.

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
It's when I'm out or even just on the way to go out for a drink that I struggle with. I am now fine at the Football, waiting for Buses, Trains and while at work. Even passing smokers doesn't bother me. The urge gets the better of me when I contemplate a Pint I sweat and get very anxious and find only a Smoke relaxes me. I'll smoke a pack of 20 within a few hours, buy more and if I have any left finish the pack off during the week.

(I can go all week without a Cigarette I even imagine smoking a Cigar when watching ''Minder'' and still don't crack) Yet my social life will be reduced to next to nothing if I stop going out at least once a month. I know I need to find new things to do and am trying to address this perhaps the Diabetic meeting can help here?
Normally for a daily smoker having a smoke relaxes them and relieves their anxiety, but that is because their brain has become physically addicted, so between smokes they have withdrawal symptoms (eg anxiety) and these are relieved by smoking. So they think the smoking is treating their anxiety. But the anxiety wouldn't be there if they weren't smoking.

However, in your case, since you can go for days without the urge to smoke, it doesn't sound like you are physically addicted at the moment. Therefore your feeling that a smoke relaxes you is probably psychological rather than physical, and it can be changed using psychological methods. It's possible that you are heading down the path towards physical addiction too, which is not ideal.

In NZ there is a free service called Quitline where trained smoking cessation counsellors can help you by phone, and I wonder if there are services like that in the UK? All the NZ Quitline counsellors are former smokers too, I believe. I found their input really helpful.

One you've had a drink, your ability to resist smoking is weakened. Initially I found I had to stop drinking in order to get around this, and after a while I was ok and could drink again and not smoke. It is possible to have a great social life without drinking, I've found. And it doesn't mean you can never drink again; it just means reducing a trigger for smoking, for a while.

There's some good general info about quitting smoking here:
http://www.quit.org.nz/

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
OK I have updated my food goal diary it was previously set at a Non- Diabetic level to healthily lose weight.
These are the daily guideline limits for me now that I have adjusted it for lower Carb intake. The calorific intake has been lowered since joining it 3 weeks ago by the site due to my weight loss.

Calorie: 1960
Carbs: 120
Fat: 65
Protein: 221
Sodium: 360
Sugar: 72??
( I do not know what my sugar limit should be this is calculated for someone non-diabetic) What should it be?
These limits were all previously higher and I was generally below the limits save for a few Sunday lunches/and Drinking sessions.
If I look at my new carbs allowances against my old intake I have surpassed the limits almost everyday since joining it, although It would be a lot more lower than what I was pre-diagnosis.

The calorie side has become harder but as I will be cutting carbs this should be easier also you get higher limits if you exercise.
Yet adding fats is going to rocket my calorie intake as Cheese/nuts tends to be very high.
Losing all those Carbs is going to hard.
So I need advice on low carb bread? And Cereals. I live in the sticks miles away from health food style shops so need produce that can be purchased from smaller style Supermarkets, I do have a ''Hippy'' shop near so I'll look there but the bread is very expensive.
I don't eat bread or cereals at all. I have found ways to replace them that are healthier for my body, not expensive, and are really tasty and satisfying.

Everything I eat comes from an ordinary supermarket, except the ground flaxseeds I take for "regularity".

If you get a meter I think you will find this much easier.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

That link is dated Jan 2015,
The final version of the 2015 Dietary Guidelines for Americans won't be published until the end of 2015

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...ased-dietary-guidelines-report-300083129.html

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...iet-might-actually-be-dangerous-10160437.html

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/02/19/federal-dietary-guidelines_n_6716130.html

The anticipated changes suggest that while lower salt intake is good for most people (since there is so much salt in processed foods that people eat too much without realising). But the very low levels which were recommended in the 2010 publication are no longer considered appropriate for most people (very low salt diets are, of course, appropriate for certain medical conditions).

Not much of a shift, I grant you, but anything that reduces the paranoia is good thing, and moving closer to the common sense view that too little salt is just as dangerous as too much.

And, just for a bit of lighter reading (but with interesting references)
http://authoritynutrition.com/how-much-sodium-per-day/

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm happy to wait, anticipation isn't really my thing I'm afraid.
We'll see if the recommendations do actually change one day.
Until then, January 2015 is close enough for me.
Not much changes in a few months.

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Montyshrew

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
White bread
I followed the lower carbs advice I have attempted to reduce it to less 125 g's a day.
So yesterday I had a breakfast of granola super berry, Which I had seen here. Its got carbs more than Bran Flakes but I require fibre in the morning and need an easy quick source.
Walked at a faster pace to train station had zero leg cramps and manged it much easier than I have had for years.
Bought 1 liter bottle of water for the train which was plenty for me and the football match.
12 pm went to Nando's had Salad & Chicken. So gained some salt here and had very low Carbs but a few quinoa and beans in the salad..
Walked the mile to the stadium and found I did in roughly half the time of the ''Google street view'' and ''Football Ground's'' guides
I used to worry about these as I didn't believe I would manage this. I felt brilliant I no cramps very little sweating other than what you would get from a reasonably walk. And slight increase in breathing rate as it should do.

As I decided to stand for the duration of the game, I thought that my legs would be better off than sitting cramped up in a seat for 2.5 hours.
Towards the second half I started to get stiff so tried to stretch myself as much as you can in a stadium.

4 pm On the walk back to the station I got some leg cramps which restricted my walking(although I still managed within the guides time)
I am unsure the reason for the cramps but could it be that you tend to walk with the pace of others due to the crowd your with?
I also felt I sweated a bit more and was more breathless, anyway I didn't quit and carried on.
Should I drink Salt with water before walking in future? Or have a Bovril in the stadium whether it's in the Summer or not! Or would a Cup of Tea been a good addition to my water during the game?

Anyway I knew I had a 5 hour journey home with short connection times along the way so knew I would have to have a bite to eat otherwise from experience I would knew I would have had the Leg Cramps/Tougher walk when I got home.

So here's the dilemma I was put into. the Station snack/WH Smiths counter had a choice:-

Wholemeal Chicken/meat/cheese sandwiches etc the saltiest.
White carb's wraps.
Chocolate, Ice cream.
Crisps
Energy Drinks.
The other options I discovered were a ''white Carbpastry', Posh Coffee' outlet present on many large stations
In this situation what should a Diabetic aiming to lower their Carbs intake do?
I chose the Wholemeal sandwich as I believed this would be the better option.
I also bought another 1 X liter bottle of water, for the journey home.

If you need to find a quick meal/snack option the choice is virtually non-existent other than go without.
In the past this is what I'd have done but then I know that I would feel worse later on in the evening.

When I arrived home I walked the 1 mile home this(this is uphill as opposed to downhill that the walk to the station is) . again I felt fine and walked it faster than I used to do pre-diet and non-smoking regime.
I tallied my Food diary added my Exercise and was under Calorie, the new Carbs intake and well under sugar.
What could the reason have been for the Cramps on only the one leg of the walk?
If this was pre diet I would probably had cramps on all four legs.
It appears I'm fine when walking on my own, at my increasingly faster pace and am lasting longer. But struggle in a crowd. What could be the reason for this?

Edit:
Can you lose weight, tone your bum, hips and legs within 12 hours?
I am on my smallest belt hole. In the morning my jeans fitted fine, on the way home they were falling down so I needed to tuck in my jumper to fill out the waist.

Last edited by a moderator:

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
If the only choice that is actual food is sandwiches, then that can be a good choice because often you can eat just the filling and ditch the bread. A slice or two of meat or cheese can keep me going for a while.

Another option is to hide something from home in your clothing or bag, lol. Or just take the hit to your BG levels because it's an occasional thing.

Reactions: 2 people

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Unfortunately there are times when you have to take what's on offer. I usually read the nutritional info and opt for the one which is lowest carb and can be 'pulled apart' easily - I take the filling out of one of the sandwiches and put it into the other so that I'm only eating one slice of bread or give one of them to the other half!! You may find that it is easier to decide what to eat if you test your sugar levels. By the way, and apologies if you've already been asked etc, are you on statins?

Montyshrew

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
White bread
Unfortunately there are times when you have to take what's on offer. I usually read the nutritional info and opt for the one which is lowest carb and can be 'pulled apart' easily - I take the filling out of one of the sandwiches and put it into the other so that I'm only eating one slice of bread or give one of them to the other half!! You may find that it is easier to decide what to eat if you test your sugar levels. By the way, and apologies if you've already been asked etc, are you on statins?

I'm Not on statins. Have had daily blood tests when I had surgery 5 years ago.
I have had good B/P rates the other than when I was younger It culiminated to a point where I had a severe nose bleed that wouldn't stop untill I had been given ''tampons'' to stick up it. I was quite otherwise fit having a job that was very physical and could require a 5 mile walk on top . I was a heavy smoker & drinker. I occasionally got foot/lower calf cramps then but only during the initial 1 mile walk early in the morning. After a rest they were gone and I could walk 5 miles or more without pain for the rest of the day, 5 X a week.
I swapped to more sedentary jobs and badly twisted my knee, It's then I put on a lot of weight. Strangely enough the injury led to me being restricted to the house for most of the 6 months leading to me going from every night smoking & drinking to once a fortnight. Sadly it was the catalyst to my weight gain as I got used to staying in and was a lot less active. Even the Walk to the Pub and back was 2 mile round trip or 14 miles less walking per week. And the cycle goes on. You even become less active because your weight puts you off going out.

Other than type 2, my only issue since was Cholesterol which spiked after a Peanut binge.
Looking at me history of leg cramps while walking- pre-diagnosis-. It was usually less severe or none at all when I'd been a ''good boy'' and avoided smoking & drinking for long periods of a month +. Bear in mind I hadn't lowered or monitored my Carbs/sugar intake at this time.
I am trying to compare scenarios now with ones before diagnosis as I'm sure I could have been close to type 2 within the last 12 months:-

Even 8 months ago I managed a brisk 2.5 mile walk to the station from a game without issues with only a chocolate bar & tea for sustenance all day. Again I had avoided smoking and drinking for the month prior.

After leaving hospital 5 years ago for bowel surgery. Id spent 12 days there on oxygen for 3-4, and an NHS hospital diet after I was off ''the drip''(.I hadn't eaten for 4 days prior to surgery) I was on Iron tablets and pain killers while there
I was unable to leave the house for around 1.5 weeks after but when I did my energy levels were amazing I could walk at a good pace for miles and felt better the further I walked. Untill:-
2 months later I went for a check-up and went for a pint or few to ''celebrate''. My drinking leads to smoking so within a week my leg cramp and walking issue was back.
Since diagnosis:
I have followed the NHS's High fibre, low sugar no bad Carbs diet

I week prior game. I had 1 binge drink day plus 20 cigarettes.
In the last month my two visits to football had a similar outcome:-
1. Walk. to the Station, then ground (.5 miles)I'm fine. Walk back from stadium, leg cramps. Walk from station nearly OK but I was dehydrated having not drunk enough fluids. Only a hot dog to eat. all day.

2 weeks prior plenty of exercise. 1 week prior 2 binge drink days 40 cigarettes.

2nd time:-
A faster walk to the station feel brilliant, walk to the stadium plus a good meal, feel brilliant, plenty of fluids. Walk back to the station leg cramps. Sandwich. Long train journey lots of Water, walk from station to home brilliant again. I

It appears to be progressing positively;
The common theme is the drinking binge which leads to me smoking which I will try more at combating.
So along with this next will be the LCHF diet although and see what occurs here.

This morning I felt brilliant, which leads to another question:
I'm trying the LCHF diet today I have had a piece of Cheese for a late breakfast due to me having a Sunday Lunch early.
My Sunday lunch was Low Carb 1 baby potato, 1 small roast potato, lots of broccoli, lots of Peas lots of Pork, lots of Crackling, lots of Gravy(no Corn Flour)added salt. I feel full but get an ache in the chest. I've got a feeling this maybe a side affect of the heavy smoking 10 days ago, but could the pile of Meat + Salt be doing it?

Last edited by a moderator:

Montyshrew

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
White bread
I'm asking in this form to see if any Professionals or someone with experience can spot any trends that could be something other than diabetes such as poor circulation or plaque build in my legs.
I mention things to my GP but they never have enough time to look through all that.

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I'm trying the LCHF diet today I have had a piece of Cheese for a late breakfast due to me having a Sunday Lunch early.
My Sunday lunch was Low Carb 1 baby potato, 1 small roast potato, lots of broccoli, lots of Peas lots of Pork, lots of Crackling, lots of Gravy(no Corn Flour)added salt. I feel full but get an ache in the chest. I've got a feeling this maybe a side affect of the heavy smoking 10 days ago, but could the pile of Meat + Salt be doing it?

Eating two small potatoes is not low carb. I love potatoes but as they spike my BG I have had to quit them, at least for now. Peas also have a bit more carbs than other veges. Gravy usually has some form of carbs as thickening, unless it's really high quality jus which is thickened by reduction.

I've never heard of or experienced high meat or salt consumption causing chest pain, or smoking from 10 days earlier. However, it could be acid reflux from eating a large meal. If it gets worse or persists please see your doctor.

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I'm asking in this form to see if any Professionals or someone with experience can spot any trends that could be something other than diabetes such as poor circulation or plaque build in my legs.
I mention things to my GP but they never have enough time to look through all that.
It's a really complex diagnostic puzzle so I don't think anyone here will be able to help much as we have limited info about you and we are not professionals. Those who are professionals are usually loathe to say anything in case it is construed as giving medical advice, which isn't appropriate. I suggest you ask for a referral to a specialist, or keep asking your GP about it until they focus on it.

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I suggest that you talk to your GP about intermittent clarification and giving up smoking. Enjoy your football !

Montyshrew

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
White bread
Eating two small potatoes is not low carb. I love potatoes but as they spike my BG I have had to quit them, at least for now. Peas also have a bit more carbs than other veges. Gravy usually has some form of carbs as thickening, unless it's really high quality jus which is thickened by reduction.

I've never heard of or experienced high meat or salt consumption causing chest pain, or smoking from 10 days earlier. However, it could be acid reflux from eating a large meal. If it gets worse or persists please see your doctor.

I don't use corn flour, I make my own which is meat juices and Bovril .My Carbs level was less than 120 or 25% intake which many have recommended yesterday. My chest was fine after it was probably indigestion. My weight is shifting dramatically in the right direction I feel better, fitter. The only time I don't is when I remove almost all Carb's and replace them with Fat.

Kimble73

Type of diabetes
Type 2
How about adding protien, like low fat peanut butter on toast on whole wheat bread one slice, have that at breakfast with a hard boiled egg and oatmeal. And a half glass of 1percent milk. Cut way down on drinking and smoking, I smoke to and have cut way back, and hopfully quite. Have you gone to a Diabetes support group? And ask your doctor to get a meter to take your blood sugars with, the sweating could be from your sugars going up. And Please don't skip meals and snacks. Take a look on the Canadian Diabetes Association website, there will be recipes on there and what snacks to have.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
How about adding protien, like low fat peanut butter on toast on whole wheat bread one slice, have that at breakfast with a hard boiled egg and oatmeal. And a half glass of 1percent milk. Cut way down on drinking and smoking, I smoke to and have cut way back, and hopfully quite. Have you gone to a Diabetes support group? And ask your doctor to get a meter to take your blood sugars with, the sweating could be from your sugars going up. And Please don't skip meals and snacks. Take a look on the Canadian Diabetes Association website, there will be recipes on there and what snacks to have.
Not sure who you were replying to but as this thread is well over year old you probably won't get a response. Also you'll probably find it quite hard to control your blood sugars if you eat bread and oatmeal...just have eggs much better for a type 2 in my experience.