Moaning for moanings sake!!
Is anyone watching ? Its brilliant all about hidden sugars in our food etc

Reactions: 2 people

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
In the papers they are complaining that for his restaurants he does not publish the sugar content, only the carbs.

Reactions: 7 people

poohtiggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Getting old and diabetese
Is anyone watching ? Its brilliant all about hidden sugars in our food etc
I watched it and it's shocking to discover the amount of sugar in drinks, fortunately I have rarely drunk fizzy drinks, the bit on Mexico was apalling, they even put coke in babies bottles how bad is that?:bigtears:

amanda19640

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Moaning for moanings sake!!
I watched it and it's shocking to discover the amount of sugar in drinks, fortunately I have rarely drunk fizzy drinks, the bit on Mexico was apalling, they even put coke in babies bottles how bad is that?:bigtears:
I know couldn't believe what I was seeing!

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Pasta, sorry to me it's vile, yeuch lol (and full of nasty carbs)
No, one - I don't watch TV, too boring. Two - can't stand the guy, he's a narcissist and encourager of the nanny-state. If you want to know about hidden sugars, salts, artificial flavourings and ingredients of food you can just use the internet.

photognut

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Its a start and making noise in the right direction....
Watching that child have his teeth pulled, others that had lost all of their teeth...
Children with Type 2 Diabetes...
130 leg amputations a week.............
I'm clocking off now to say words that I'd be banned for typing here.

Reactions: 8 people

Libbaloo

Just watched this Channel Four programme about Jamie Oliver's campaign for fizzy drinks tax and his exploration of the growing problem of hidden and added sugars and the rise of Diabetes Type 2. Food for thought.
As he explored the rising incidence of Type 2 diabetes, I was taking it all in with fresh insight as someone with Prediabetes. I never realised I would be in the statistics. Must keep going with my efforts to control blood sugar and try to inform my children too.
So much hidden sugars and he didn't even mention carbs. Raising my children born in the 90's, I thought we were eating 'healthily', but I wish I had known then what I am learning now. #Sugarrush

Reactions: 8 people

Libbaloo

I just watched it and created a thread in Diabetes Discussion. Great that's its on the agenda, if not the Government's, we are hearing more about impact of sugar

Reactions: 2 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The thing about hidden sugars has been well known for at least 25 years, I was lectured on it by my children's dentist way back then. The problem with that was that she advised that fizzy drinks were OK as long as they had artificial sweeteners and not sugar. That advice turned out to be bad advice and our teeth and health suffered accordingly. Was there any mention in the programme that diet drinks can help to cause fatty liver and therefore diabetes and obesity too?

Reactions: 4 people

freshlybrewed

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
sensory overloading
I don't usually watch Jamie's cookery programs but I watched this and everything he's campaigning about I agree with.
I'm all for no added sugar in the products we buy.
I felt terribly sorry for those kids in Mexico drinking cola like that.

Jamie has set up a petition, here is the link for anyone who would like to find out more about it.
https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/106651

silky1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
For those of you with any form of recording missed programmes, you should be able to download it through the relevant i-plannner. My OH wanted to watch it as well so have it taped for later today as he took my daughter, SIL and Grandson to Heathrow last night ready for their flight to Oz today (I think he just wanted a quiet night from me and the dogs.

I think there is little doubt that my soft drink craving has played a role in where I am now with the diabetes and pancreatitis - quite possibly adding to a paternal genetic problem of my gran, aunt and father losing their gall bladders - the first two having type II diabetes and losing my father to pancreatitis even though he didn't drink nor did he have a gall bladder at the time :(

Hindsight is a wonderful thing :(

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Makes me laugh at his idea of a sugar tax. Simple solution is if he feels that strongly about soft drinks then don't serve them in his restaurants.

Reactions: 11 people

Bebo321

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Just watched this Channel Four programme about Jamie Oliver's campaign for fizzy drinks tax and his exploration of the growing problem of hidden and added sugars and the rise of Diabetes Type 2. Food for thought.
As he explored the rising incidence of Type 2 diabetes, I was taking it all in with fresh insight as someone with Prediabetes. I never realised I would be in the statistics. Must keep going with my efforts to control blood sugar and try to inform my children too.
So much hidden sugars and he didn't even mention carbs. Raising my children born in the 90's, I thought we were eating 'healthily', but I wish I had known then what I am learning now. #Sugarrush

I watched it too. I like his ambition and passion, but it seems to me that he is just demonising sugar, where in fact we should be looking at the wider picture which includes the proliferation of processed carb loaded meals.

Reactions: 6 people

photognut

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I've never been a slave to sugar or to its deception in food. My son & daughter 26 & 27 have never had a tooth extraction...daughter never had a filling son had his first cavity filling last year. An element of pride crept in that I had done right by my children in food choices.
There is no doubt that sugar has contributed to a huge part of the obesity problem, it is the monster that is visually on display for all to see. So, how did I, who didn't let this monster control my families eating habits end up with diabetes? There is another monster, just as dangerous as sugar "Wheat & Grain" this is the culprit that lulled me into a false sense of security.
I have enough medical problems without facing a future of chopped off limbs and blindness. I am feeling so proud of myself that I have got my glucose levels under control without meds. Living without wheat & grain is a small price to pay in comparison to the alternatives.

Reactions: 10 people