low carbing and constipation

baldtykde

Hi

Just a quickie, although low carbing is working wonders for the old sugar levels and health in general there is an element of constipation involved.

I wondered if anybody else had encountered this and any solutions they had to get things back to a more regular timetable.

Any help would be great

Tony

acron^

Dislikes
Diabetes?
I must say....I've been low-carbing for 6 months and I've also noticed this. I'm guessing it's down to having less fibre in the diet.

timo2

Dislikes
Glycemic excursions
Hi Tony,

Doczoc made more than a few suggestions about getting low-carb fibre on this thread:
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes-forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=8995

Doczoc said:
Avocado, Broccoli, Brussels sprouts, Cabbage, Carrot, Aubergine, Greens -- collards, kale, turnip greens, Mushrooms, Peppers, Rhubarb, Spinach, Berries -- Blueberies, Blackberries, Raspberries, etc.
Nuts - almonds, pecans and macadamias,

Regards,
timo.

Vikingepigen

Having added nuts (mostly almonds), berries as dessert virtually every night add a couple of good walks each day (along with carrotts and broccoli for dinner at least 3 times a week), I do not have a problem any more!! I usually go once a day now (before up to 3-4 times), but sometimes only every other day, but never feel constipated.

Alice

goji

I have found that a tablespoon of flax seeds/linseeds and a psyllium husk tablet work well! :D

goji

graham64

Dislikes
Ironing, cooking, shopping. Pessimists, people with sense of humour bypass. Speed cameras Traffic wardens, Nanny state and Hypocrites
I've never had a problem, eating plenty of veg, nuts, and berries seems to keep me regular, If this does not work, then the advice by goji should do the trick. Also drink plenty of water as being dehydrated can be another cause.

Cheers
Graham

dragongirl

I found a tub of olives in the supermarket, that appeared to be carb free, and after eating them over three days found they worked very nicely! I think they were from Tesco but can't be sure and they had garlic in I think. I'll know when I go looking for more.

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
When i started lo-carbing (combined with exercise) I noticed this too. I was doing one HUGE poop every day. Felt much better for it...

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Drink plenty of water and eat green leafy veggies.

Katharine

I haven't had this problem low carbing for six years. I think it is because I eat quite a high fat diet and get a lot of exercise.

bumblejoy

Hi
I have terrible problems, however drinking lots of water and dried figs help. My DN suggested glycyrol suppositories which if you get the urge but can't go really do help and don't affect your BG.
Just don't suffer in silence, ask for advice.