Painful Feet

Rachette

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi
Just wanted to ask if anyone else struggles with painful feet in the mornings.
I'm finding it increasingly difficult to put my feet to the floor in the morning or to weight bear once I have.
I have to hobble for the first 20 minutes or so until my feet come back to life!
Up until this month, my feet would usually be ok for the rest of the day (a bit painful after rest, but bearable) but now the pain stays with me for most of the day. After rest the whole process starts again.
I am also waking with numb hands and fingers again, this is probably something else entirely but thought I'd throw that in at while I'm at it! lol
Thanks for reading. I'm just after thoughts or remedies If anyone else is struggling too?

Reactions: 2 people

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
Hello rachette, yes when i was first diagnosed t2 my bs's were 28.6 and my feet gave me hell...felt like i was walking on razor blades, but on finding this forun and following advices re lchf i got my bs's under control and have lost 4 st in weight, and the good news is my neuropathy of the feet went completely after about 3 months of good bs control, and since my bs has remained under 6.5 at all times it has not returned,so hope this helps and good luck with your bs controls. Clive.

Reactions: 4 people

Rachette

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks Clivethedrive for your reply.
Well done for your great control of your bs readings. I am currently working on this myself. (Diagnosed in March this year, confirmed as T1 end of May) I have had it suggested to me that it might be plantar fasciitis and the pain does shoot up the back of my ankles. Have spoken to my GP but had no joy there and was told to just self refer to the local podiatrist. I have done this and am waiting for an appointment to become available.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi
I'm finding it increasingly difficult to put my feet to the floor in the morning or to weight bear once I have.
I have to hobble for the first 20 minutes or so until my feet come back to life!
Up until this month, my feet would usually be ok for the rest of the day (a bit painful after rest, but bearable) but now the pain stays with me for most of the day. After rest the whole process starts again.
I am also waking with numb hands and fingers again, this is probably something else entirely but thought I'd throw that in at while I'm at it! lol
Thanks for reading. I'm just after thoughts or remedies If anyone else is struggling too?

Good luck, I hope you get a proper diagnosis with help and support for your pain and discomfort

Take care RRB

Reactions: 6 people

LoobyLou1957

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi

Can I suggest you get yourself a pair of orthaheel flip flops, or if you can't find them some crocs flip flops. I suffered with what you are describing for a few months until I got the orthaheels. I use the crocs now, and wear them everday and the pain has gone.

Reactions: 4 people

Dooky

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hi
Hi Rachette ,
my wife has recently had the same problem with her feet ! her first steps in the morning are painful but wear off later in the day .
She is not a Diabetic however my brother is an Osteopath and he said she has plantar fasciitis and has treated her three times and now she is all good ! Maybe this is what you have ??? The numb and tingling in your fingers is what I have had to deal with for ten years now but this is because of rotator cuff tears in my shoulders ! have you had a recent injury with your shoulder /s ?
The above is just an idea and just thinking outside the square and may not be Diabetes related but give it some thought .
Regards
Dooky

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi
Hi Rachette. Get some Aloe Vera Gel. You can get Aloe Pura Organic Aloe Vera Gel. I got mine after a friend recommended it as a natural remedy and noticed benefit straightaway. It's £3.95 for a 100ml tube and I get mine from a Tesco Superstore but I imagine you can get them elsewhere. Lasts me 2 weeks but, if your pain is severe, you may need to rub in more. I use it first thing in the morning and the last thing at night. It will probably help your hands and fingers too.

brianwhite

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Rachette,
Whilst this may be diabetes related, it is also the classic signs of plantar fasciatis. As a fellow sufferer before becoming a diabetic, I can report back that it can be treated by a Podiatrist through exercises to stretch muscles and tendons in legs and feet, and appropriate orthotics (insoles) to support your feet. If you get no joy with your current doctor, ask to see another one or just arrange to see a podiatrist yourself privately.

Reactions: 8 people

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
Hi Rachette,
Whilst this may be diabetes related, it is also the classic signs of plantar fasciatis. As a fellow sufferer before becoming a diabetic, I can report back that it can be treated by a Podiatrist through exercises to stretch muscles and tendons in legs and feet, and appropriate orthotics (insoles) to support your feet. If you get no joy with your current doctor, ask to see another one or just arrange to see a podiatrist yourself privately.
I found the same things worked for my plantar fasciitis too. Good advice.

Rachette

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Can I suggest you get yourself a pair of orthaheel flip flops, or if you can't find them some crocs flip flops. I suffered with what you are describing for a few months until I got the orthaheels. I use the crocs now, and wear them everday and the pain has gone.
Thanks LoobyLou1957
I have a pair FitFlops that I have found have really helped too and its the first thing I reach for in the morning.
I recently invested in a pair of insoles that sound very similar to the ortherheel which have a made a massive difference too.
:)

Rachette

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Rachette ,
my wife has recently had the same problem with her feet ! her first steps in the morning are painful but wear off later in the day .
She is not a Diabetic however my brother is an Osteopath and he said she has plantar fasciitis and has treated her three times and now she is all good ! Maybe this is what you have ??? The numb and tingling in your fingers is what I have had to deal with for ten years now but this is because of rotator cuff tears in my shoulders ! have you had a recent injury with your shoulder /s ?
The above is just an idea and just thinking outside the square and may not be Diabetes related but give it some thought .
Regards
Dooky
Hi Dooky
Thanks for your repy
Since posting my OP I have also had this diagnosis from GP but have just been told to self refer to local podiatrist.
As far as the numb hands and fingers no, no recent injury's for me, It doesn't seem to be everyday either so still trying to work this one out , :)

Rachette

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Rachette. Get some Aloe Vera Gel. You can get Aloe Pura Organic Aloe Vera Gel. I got mine after a friend recommended it as a natural remedy and noticed benefit straightaway. It's £3.95 for a 100ml tube and I get mine from a Tesco Superstore but I imagine you can get them elsewhere. Lasts me 2 weeks but, if your pain is severe, you may need to rub in more. I use it first thing in the morning and the last thing at night. It will probably help your hands and fingers too.
Thank you for reply will look into this and give it a try :)

Rachette

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Rachette,
Thanks brianwhite
Yes that's the next plan to contact my local podiatrist and have already spoken to another one that looked after my son who gave me some exercises to try, Very painful initially but definitely make a difference. :)

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
If you get cramps, take magnesium. If you don't like tablets, you can get Magnesium Flakes for £3.95 a packet and pour them in your bath, which is a real treat.

JRW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was diagnosed at 45mmol, when I started to bring my BG under control I had massive nerve pains, mainly in my feet, I could hardly walk at one point, for a few months it was debilitating, gradually it improved and I can walk like normal, run even, wear proper shoes. My Dr. put the issue down to the readjustment of BGG levels and the effects on nerve endings.