jamies sugar rush

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Yes, and that isn't new. My son had to go to the dental hospital at King's College S.E London back in about 1982 ( one of his teeth was twice as big as it should be). Our cubicle was directly opposite a 3 year old who was about to have her all her baby teeth extracted; cause not coke but Ribena in a 'comforter'
My Mum did her nurse training 60+ years ago and part of the training was in the dental dept of the London hospital under school age children were having teeth out under GA back then for rotten teeth.

Reactions: 3 people

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
When I were a lad in the '70s my mum put us with a child minder who gave her own 3 year old mugs of strong tea with 4 sugars. Mum thought this was dead common because she only gave us 1-2 sugars in our tea.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
When I were a lad in the '70s my mum put us with a child minder who gave her own 3 year old mugs of strong tea with 4 sugars. Mum thought this was dead common because she only gave us 1-2 sugars in our tea.
Of course this was the 1870s I'm talking about in my case... ;-)

Reactions: 4 people

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Babies bottles of strong sugary tea were a not uncommon sight in the housing estates of Spikey Island in them days.

Those babes were probably later the "Trainspotting"-era generation of smackheads...

Last edited by a moderator:

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
In fact I distinctly remember the sight of a bare-breasted young mother, feeding her infant from a bottle of neat gin. Or possibly that was an etching by Hogarth. My memory is not what it used to be, after 300+ years in the Old Priests' Home.

Reactions: 4 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

And given how much tea you can consume in a day it could amount to a fair whack of sugar @Spiker.

When I was a lad (no jokes please) fizzy pop was beyond the reach of me & my friends as we didn't have the means to buy it, now kids have much more money at their disposal and so can purchase sugary drinks and sweets when they choose.

Reactions: 2 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Lucky you @noblehead :) Unfortunately my parents could afford to buy me fizzy drinks. Grrr. I had a bottle of Corona fizzy drink a day. The van came to our house every week. I still can't break the fizzy drink habit, but opt for sparkling mineral water now. :)

poohtiggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Getting old and diabetese
A few weeks ago I heard that Tesco are/have banned Ribena from their stores, I wonder it they will also take all the other sugary drinks off the shelves, why just Ribena.
My grandaughters aged two & four only get water to drink, they have sipper cups that my DIL constantly refills throughout the day, they just pick them up whilst playing, it's as natural to them as breathing they don't know what fizzy drinks are because they never tasted them. I suppose they are fortunate that mum used to be a dental nurse.

Reactions: 2 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Send Jamie an email and ask :)
Just what I was thinking... I wish someone could tweet him with a link to this website? I'm not a tweeter though...

photognut

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
In fact I distinctly remember the sight of a bare-breasted young mother, feeding her infant from a bottle of neat gin. Or possibly that was an etching by Hogarth. My memory is not what it used to be, after 300+ years in the Old Priests' Home.

Going back to the 60's when you cut your teeth on cot coated with lead paint - Straight up, the doctor told my Mum to put some Whisky in my bottle before bed to make me sleep...... I guess the modern day version would be to replace the milk with a soda and progress onto the Eat Well Plate;)

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Jamie is worth £250 million......supposedly....he hasn't let up on ordinary people's health etc.

Can anybody tweet him with a link to this?

poohtiggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Getting old and diabetese
Going back to the 60's when you cut your teeth on cot coated with lead paint - Straight up, the doctor told my Mum to put some Whisky in my bottle before bed to make me sleep...... I guess the modern day version would be to replace the milk with a soda and progress onto the Eat Well Plate;)
We also got the 'whiskey pop' advice from our doctor in the 70's we had a baby with tummy problems and we were horrified at that advice but when we were absolutely desperate for sleep we put three drops in his milk and magico, it settled him. And no, he didn't grow up an alcoholic and we never put lead paint on anything though many people did

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If, hypothetically, Jamie was mates with my best friend, what would we actually want to say to him? Can't just send a link to us lot wittering on...

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
To Jamie

Your programme is very interesting.. Please take a look at comments from real
and genuinely concerned people with health issue
Concerns regarding sugar (carbohydrates) @,, link.....

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
What a load of rubbish on the BBC programme though that still says marg and doreads better than butter because of the saturated fats!

photognut

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If, hypothetically, Jamie was mates with my best friend, what would we actually want to say to him? Can't just send a link to us lot wittering on...

@Spiker imho. If you want to grab his attention, you need to feed him with a source he is familiar with and trusts. I believe he's been in communications with Dr Aseem Malhotra.
@Winnie53 posted information in another discussion Re: Heart, which also acknowledges the LCHF Diet.
Heart Health & Diet: Editorial from the BMJ & British Cardiovascular Society OpenHeart Journal.
A paper written by Malhotra A, DiNicolantonio JJ, Capewell S. titled: It is time to stop counting calories, and time instead to promote dietary changes that substantially and rapidly reduce cardiovascular morbidity and mortality.

An excerpt from this paper;

"The EPIC study revealed that one can a day (approximately 150 calories) was associated with substantially increasing the risk of developing type 2 diabetes. 21 Conversely, PREDIMED revealed that consumption of a handful of nuts, (30 g of walnuts, 15 g of almonds and 15 g of hazelnuts) or four tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil per day (approximately 500 calories) significantly reduced the risk of heart attack and stroke. A recent randomised pilot study of a calorie unrestricted very low carbohydrate/high fat diet in overweight patients with type 2 diabetes or prediabetes resulted in a significant improvement in glycaemic control and even discontinuation of diabetes medications within 3 months in comparison to a moderate carbohydrate, low-fat calorie-restricted diet (consistent with guidelines from the American Diabetes Association), with no adverse effect on blood lipids. 22 A critical review in Nutrition also concluded that dietary carbohydrate restriction is the“single most effective intervention for reducing all of the features of the metabolic syndrome” and should be the first approach in diabetes management with the very low carbohydrate ketogenic diet (<10% carbs) revealing the greatest falls in glycated hemoglobin and reduction in the use of medications with benefits occurring even without weight loss."

Full paper available to read here. http://openheart.bmj.com/content/2/1/e000273.full.pdf+html

Reactions: 5 people