Don't Try This At Home !

Sunstreaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was vegetarian for 25 years until I started LCHF and then I started eating Pork Scratchings. Greek yogurt is low in protein but my vegetarian TVP is almost 50g per 100g and I have always eaten a lot of that,. with dAily cheeses I'm going over in protein allowance. I'm pre diabetic/boarder line diabetic now maintaining non diabetic Hba1c through diet. I Think I need to cut the cheeses & vegetarian meaty chunks

Reactions: 4 people

Sunstreaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Because I exercise for an hour in the gym on weekdays and active at weekends seems I can have slight more protein. Must admit there seems to be a lot of conflicting information about proteins, some references still to kidney disease. Also references to when to consume protein before exercise which IMHO Is questionable. Eating protein advice to be absorbed an hot before exercise, surely it's still chime in tour stomach and nowhere near being absorbed. I think I will just cut it a bit?

Reactions: 2 people

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Protein takes hours to be fully digested that's why you're supposed to feel full for longer. Personally I wouldn't stuff it before working out, I'd have it afterwards eg lunch or dinner. I know that some bodybuilders have the idea that if you eat insulinogenic protein at night, insulin will push the amino acids into the cells with glucose, for repairs.

There is conflicting information out there, because even when studied, we're not all the same. I read advice on here to eat salt if low carbing, yet many people who say they are low carbing are eating bread and processed meats which are salty, so they probably don't need any extra.

A blogpost on Dr Loren Cordain's website says that salt isn't Paleo. Although I don't do Paleo ( I do eat some dairy) I'm keen to keep a lid on inflammation so I don't cook with salt and only put it on eggs.

photognut

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm a bit shocked - after deliberating over the menu in a restaurant at lunch time. I decided to see if I could have risotto. Has this Newcastle diet version that I painstakingly did for 60 days re-booted my system? I have already made the decision Wheat and Grain are off my menu forever, can I have a risotto, or a small portion of chips when in restaurants? before these would send my glucose levels like @Celeriac experience with pop corn 11+ The portion was of a good size, twice that of what I am normally eating. 6.4 before meal. 8.7 - 1 hour after. 7.8 - 2 hours after 7.2 - 3 hours. This is a huge improvement on glucose activity 4 months ago. :)

Reactions: 9 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Was it a rich risotto? Butter, cheese, etc? That makes a huge difference.

But what a wonderful result!

Was it good?

photognut

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Was it a rich risotto? Butter, cheese, etc? That makes a huge difference.

But what a wonderful result!

Was it good?

Thanks, I sat there thinking shall I ask for an ingredients list? I decided against it, as I wanted to be normal, just for an hour. It was creamy with finely chopped onions, peas, asparagus, chicken and I asked the waiter if he could add some grated Parmesan.

Was it good? It was comparable to smoking a joint many years ago and having that little high moment. :D

Reactions: 7 people

Sunstreaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Or is like an alcoholic stating that they just had a whiskey. It's only my view , I have carby days on Christmas Day and big celebrations, to be honest I don't think it's worth it I feel awful physically and psychologically . I view it all as poison and enjoy what I can eat, which up until know was too much protein. I don't want to go back , I'm 16kgs lighter now with non diabetic levels, that make me happier than a plate of chips.

photognut

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Sunstreaker Oh, this will not be a regular thing and I too have lost well over 2 stone and still losing. It is nice to know that I can have a high carb meal when in a restaurant - Wheat & Grain? No, I will never touch that again!
It was also an experiment, as the Newcastle extreme diet was a possible way to re-boot the metabolism, that is why I decided to tackle this gruelling challenge, does it work??
Well, it has had a positive result, witnessing a huge difference in before and after results in this one meal that would have normally caused a train wreck. Will it translate to other positive experiences when dining out? I don't know. If it does, it gives me choices on what is normally an extremely limited menu.

Sunstreaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dining out is a challenge. It was my dads 80th, I went to a fish as chip restaurant, and instead of my usual red snapper skewers and Greek salad, I went for the chips and garlic bread. I knew I could tolerate one meal. I weigh myself a lot at the gym. I put on close to over 2kgs. two days post and I don't feel the same as usual. Hard to pinpoint and probably psychological .Christmas was hard to give up the carbs until the fridge was empty. I'm a carboholic, test yourself but don't fall off the wagon, plenty do. You know your own resolve.

photognut

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Sunstreaker Can understand your concern, don't worry, I refuse to go through the pain of getting normal levels again, I wouldn't have experimented with the bread, you were brave!
Last Christmas was great, I have a very supportive husband, my son was away for the winter skiing and my daughter was working. Hubby and I took our three dogs to Studland Beach for the day, laden with healthy low carb picnic for me and some extra carb stuff for him - We had a great time, walked miles on deserted sandy beaches and collapsed in front of the usual t.v crud at night.

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Mother = carbaholic vegetarian pizza lover
Husband = gluten free
Me =T2 low carber
Mother-in-law =T2 high carb low fat

Eating out = too difficult !!

Sunstreaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Not brave, reckless but once In a blue moon. I can say that because It taught me I'm not missing out as I left most chips and wished I had gone for the salad and. Red snapper,

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My BG still hasn't settled down yet which is really annoying me.

I joined MyFitnessPal and it's useless. Very many of the food items were added by members so they're inaccurate. People seems not to bother with the fibre figure for example, so it told me that I'd had just 2g fibre all day yesterday. I fancied raw carrots with taramasalata last night (this is what happens when you snack once) and the carrots added to my lunch time salad, when I looked it up was more than 2g but I'm not getting started on adding my own values.

I ate under 30g carbs, I had 11g more protein than I thought I would have but 0g sugar, low sodium and the majority of the calories came from low insulin index sources.

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I checked my meter memory and it said 13 not 18 so not quite as high as I thought - I can be a bit dyslexic when it comes to numbers.

However, to update, it's now nine days since I ate a bag of popcorn and my numbers have still not settled. I have done two fasts, one of 7.5 hours, one of 14 hours and my numbers didn't come down. Maybe me being anxious is part of the problem ?

I'm not dehydrated, no frothy pee (sorry if TMI), blurry vision etc and BP is fine. Numbers between 8-10 is way too high for me though.

My husband's theory is that I threw my body for a loop with the popcorn and got it completely out of routine by doing fasts.

Today, ended 14 hrs fast with wild calamari with cracked black pepper (not much choice of stuff from M&S to eat in car) which was 0.6g carbs, 30g protein. Although I walked about up and down stairs and up hills and did probably three miles in three hours my sugar budged from 10.7 to 10.4 and then two hours after eating the calamari it was 8.5

I'm just so unused to high numbers that this freaks me out. I'm worrying that I fried my pancreas now.

Husband says I should concentrate on eating at regular times, upping fat, keeping carbs low, see how restricting protein a bit goes.

I'm hoping this is sensible advice.

poohtiggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Getting old and diabetese
I don't understand why on LCHF we can't have turnip when it only has 6 carbs per 100?
I eat turnip, really yum mashed with carrot butter and salt & peppered it has no effect on my bg but Ido have good control & steady levels and have only recently reintroduced turnip back into my diet

13lizanne

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The Gym, + unkindness and rudeness
I'm going to try turnip soon - can't believe I'm missing turnip

Larissima

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Don't forget that the carb counts are usually done for 100g of raw carbs not cooked but I found boiled without salt 100g and it's 12.24 per 100g http://www.carb-counter.net/vegetables/1375
The carb count always changes from raw to cooked, as the composition and volume changes (water evaporates out). To end up with 100g cooked turnip, you'd need to start with more of it raw. That's why I always weigh the raw ingredient before using it in cooking, so I know how many carbs I'll be eating even though the cooked weight of the product will be reduced. If recording the full composition of the dish (fats and protein too), I add "tablespoon of butter" or however much I used in cooking. I found it easier then weighing a cooked dish/ingredient, especially as I don't know how much fat was supposed to be added in the process of cooking for the database values.