Advice needed on testing before driving

Rachette

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi
I'm after some advice on what is and isn't correct re rules on driving as a T1

I have until now, been under the impression that I should test EVERY time I get behind the wheel of a car.

I have been told today by my DSN that I am testing to much and that I should only be testing before meals, that as that same test is valid for up to 4 hours, so it is valid as the 'before driving' test too!
I'm so confused but feel this is wrong somehow?

Any thoughts?
Thank you.

Aginoth

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Last time I looked DVLA advice was test before you drive and every 2 hours after that

Reactions: 6 people

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls
I'm a T1 on insulin and have been advised by the DVLA you must be at least 5 to drive and you must not do the test more than 2 hours before you drive. Ideally test just before you drive. If I'm visiting friends and stay for a couple of hours, I test again before coming home. I don't quite follow your DSNs advice about only testing before meals. If you don't test 2 hours later, how are you supposed to decide if that particular meal was good or bad for bg levels.

Edit. Aginoth beat me to it !!!

Reactions: 6 people

Rachette

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm a T1 on insulin and have been advised by the DVLA you must be at least 5 to drive and you must not do the test more than 2 hours before you drive. Ideally test just before you drive. If I'm visiting friends and stay for a couple of hours, I test again before coming home. I don't quite follow your DSNs advice about only testing before meals. If you don't test 2 hours later, how are you supposed to decide if that particular was good or bad for bg levels.
Hi June_C
My thoughts exactly. I thought it was 'law' to test before driving and if below 5.5 then not to.
I also am trying LCHF at the moment and I tried to explain that I needed to test two hours after to work out what spikes but was told its not necessary as each injection last for 4 hours so BG's will be back to normal by next meal anyway!?!

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I test before I drive my car, even if I'm only going a mile. I'd never get in a car without testing unless I'd tested very recently. I like to be 6 before I drive.

I don't get what your DSN was talking about saying a before meal test was good for four hours?? Obviously, it's not. You could test before a meal, be fine, miscalculate carbs and be dropping an hour or two later.

Reactions: 10 people

Rachette

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I test before I drive my car, even if I'm only going a mile. I'd never get in a car without testing unless I'd tested very recently. I like to be 6 before I drive.

I don't get what your DSN was talking about saying a before meal test was good for four hours?? Obviously, it's not. You could test before a meal, be fine, miscalculate carbs and be dropping an hour or two later.
I took it to mean that if I test before a meal and injected the correct carb ratio that although I could go high or low during the four hours it would regulate 'itself' by the time I next ate and that if I went in the car during those 4 hours I would be covered from that test.
I tried to explain that I needed to test 2 hrs post to see how my food choice affected my Bg but was told it wasn't necessary as it would be regulated by the next meal?
I's just undone everything Ive learnt over the last 6 months since diagnosis

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I can't see how that's true. As we all know, diabetes is rarely as simple as taking the 'correct' amount of insulin and having your blood sugar regulate itself. If only!

Reactions: 2 people

hels

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My understanding is that if you are driving you must have tested in the last 2 hours and have been at least 5. Therefore if you test then drive you must stop and test again 2 hours later to continue driving.

I always ensure I have a valid test before driving. I won't necessarily test specially if have already tested and will always test if any uncertainty about how I'm feeling.

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
I took it to mean that if I test before a meal and injected the correct carb ratio that although I could go high or low during the four hours it would regulate 'itself' by the time I next ate and that if I went in the car during those 4 hours I would be covered from that test.
I tried to explain that I needed to test 2 hrs post to see how my food choice affected my Bg but was told it wasn't necessary as it would be regulated by the next meal?
I's just undone everything Ive learnt over the last 6 months since diagnosis
@Rachette
For ANYONE on insulin It's Test before driving, AND at least every 2 Hours whilst doing so1
This nurse sounds a danger to your licence & your health IMHO!

Reactions: 9 people

Rachette

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I can't see how that's true. As we all know, diabetes is rarely as simple as taking the 'correct' amount of insulin and having your blood sugar regulate itself. If only!

Exactly, and im still tying to get to grips with that elusive correct amount by testing ,,,,,, and so it goes round and round

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
What works one day, won't the next @Rachette Its an endless quest for perfection : D

Thats why I always test before I drive. It's not worth the risk not to. And if my blood sugar is a little lower than I'd like, I always eat something.

When on a long drive I prefer to test every 60-90 mins rather than every two hours. It just makes me more relaxed and means I can concentrate on driving rather than wonder what my blood sugar is doing.

M

mrspuddleduck

If you have an accident, even a no fault one, or if you are stopped by the police you must be able to demonstrate that you have tested within 2 hours. If you can't, they can revoke your licence as you are breaking the law in relation to holding a driving licence with a notifiable condition. When you submit you licence for change cos of diabetes you have to sign a declaration stating you will test before driving, every 2 hours whilst driving and will not drive if bs is below 5. Also if you don't test you insurance can be invalid!!! I would have a word with your DSN, she will end up losing someone their licence!!!

Reactions: 4 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
5 years ago (as many people here know) I almost lost my driving licence. I had tested, walked my dogs for 50 mins and didn't retest. Ended up in **** because of it.

You should not be told to limit your tests to 4 times a day..

You should have asany test strips as needed to keep you safe and healthy.

My stupid GP at the time of my incident had said 1 strip was enough per day!!!

Agree with mrspuddleduck. Been there and done that... I would be more than happy to PM you what happened to me.. You are more than welcome to use my real life incident as an example...

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
Wow, just wow. IMO this nurse is incompetent and is giving dangerous advice that may not only damage patients' glycaemic control, and lose someone their licence, but could cost lives - the T1's and others on the road!

I wouldn't trust anything she says about diabetes. I would get a new nurse and make a formal complaint so the authorities become aware of the danger she is to the public. It may be possible for her to receive some training and if she passes an exam to be allowed to practise as a nurse. If not, she should be de-registered IMO.

Just staggering.

diamondnostril

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi
I'm after some advice on what is and isn't correct re rules on driving as a T1

I have until now, been under the impression that I should test EVERY time I get behind the wheel of a car.

I have been told today by my DSN that I am testing to much and that I should only be testing before meals, that as that same test is valid for up to 4 hours, so it is valid as the 'before driving' test too!
I'm so confused but feel this is wrong somehow?

Any thoughts?
Thank you.

I believe the following points are what is legally required, for drivers on Insulin (with Group1 licence for car, motorcycle):

1. As I start my journey I must have a measurement >= 4.0 mmol/l within last 2 hours, and no measurement < 4.0mmol/l within last 45 minutes.

2. I must be able to show a measurement >= 4.0 mmol/l within any/every 2-hour segment of my driving.

3. If there is any measurement < 4.0 mmol/l, I must remove myself from control of the vehicle, and not resume control of the vehicle until >= 45 minutes after a further measurement >= 4.0 mmol/l.

4. I must always have my blood-sugar monitor with me while driving.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/313214/DIABINF.pdf

The government document mentions 5.0 mmol/l and encourages drivers on Insulin to be at that level and above. But 4.0 mmol/l is the threshold at which it is explicitly stated that you must not drive.

(If anybody disagrees that this is the legal requirement, please let me know!)

Regards :)
Antony

M

mrspuddleduck

I believe the following points are what is legally required, for drivers on Insulin (with Group1 licence for car, motorcycle):

1. As I start my journey I must have a measurement >= 4.0 mmol/l within last 2 hours, and no measurement < 4.0mmol/l within last 45 minutes.

2. I must be able to show a measurement >= 4.0 mmol/l within any/every 2-hour segment of my driving.

3. If there is any measurement < 4.0 mmol/l, I must remove myself from control of the vehicle, and not resume control of the vehicle until >= 45 minutes after a further measurement >= 4.0 mmol/l.

4. I must always have my blood-sugar monitor with me while driving.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/313214/DIABINF.pdf

The government document mentions 5.0 mmol/l and encourages drivers on Insulin to be at that level and above. But 4.0 mmol/l is the threshold at which it is explicitly stated that you must not drive.

(If anybody disagrees that this is the legal requirement, please let me know!)

Regards :)
Antony

Hi @diamondnostril, I stand corrected that the legal limit not to drive is below 4. However the DVLA generally consider 5 to be the limit (or so they told me), and have just checked with a traffic police friend of mine and he says they would take action under 5 at a 'stop scene'. In my opinion (for what's its worth) if anyone was stupid enough to start to drive at 4 or below then they deserve to have their license revoked, as they may feel they are OK but their driving ability and judgement are likely to be impaired. It's abit like ' but I only had a couple of drinks'!

diamondnostril

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @diamondnostril, I stand corrected that the legal limit not to drive is below 4. However the DVLA generally consider 5 to be the limit (or so they told me), and have just checked with a traffic police friend of mine and he says they would take action under 5 at a 'stop scene'. In my opinion (for what's its worth) if anyone was stupid enough to start to drive at 4 or below then they deserve to have their license revoked, as they may feel they are OK but their driving ability and judgement are likely to be impaired. It's abit like ' but I only had a couple of drinks'!

Hi @mrspuddleduck,

Very interested by your reply! :)

Did your friend expand upon his statement that he would 'take action' in the case that somebody is below 5.0 mmol/l at a 'stop scene' ?? Do you know exactly what this means? I think this is important, because if we are liable to get into trouble when our levels are between 4.0 mmol/l and 5.0 mmol/l then the DVLA surely must update its documentation to clearly state this!

It would not be possible to start prosecuting people for speeding at 60mph, when the Highway Code and all the motorway signs state the limit as 70mph. Similarly, I think it cannot be possible for traffic police to take any prosecutorial action against a person whose level is >= 4.0 mmol/l, as this is what the guidelines currently state is acceptable. Did he explain what 'action' he would or could take?

I'm happy to follow whatever rules I need to . . . but you need to know exactly what the rules are! before you can follow them!

Thanks & Regards :)
Antony

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I guess if a person was pulled over and it was realised they were diabetic they could ask to see your last blood test??

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

Don't see it mentioned in Antony's link but I'm sure the advice is you can drive if in the 4's but you must have a carby snack (so in effect this will raise your levels above 5), but worth checking if unsure of the guidelines.