Alcohol's effects on BG levels

seadragon

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Ok so I know we are not supposed to drink too much alcohol but I was at Edinburgh Fringe and out with friends and got a little carried away and had quite a lot of red wine with my evening meal. Next morning BG reading was 4.8 (lowest it's been since I started a version of LCHF diet a few weeks back). I was surprised by this and while I don't advocate everyone taking up drinking to lower BG does anyone know why this might have been? My only thought was that my liver was too busy dealing with the alcohol to produce much glucose overnight!

I was diagnosed as pre-diabetic so am hoping to stop it developing into Type 2 using diet and exercise only.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
you have answered your post in 1 !!!:) your liver was indeed otherwise engaged

alcohol does tend to lower blood sugar -- although it won't much if taken with sugary mixers such as full fat coke all night:eek:

seadragon

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
you have answered your post in 1 !!!:) your liver was indeed otherwise engaged

alcohol does tend to lower blood sugar -- although it won't much if taken with sugary mixers such as full fat coke all night:eek:
So what are the downsides to alcohol? I thought that alcohol was supposed to contribute to fatty liver which would cause raised blood sugars? Seems confusing.

wd6ecc

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
every sunday i go to a local brewery i take lunch and drink around 3 pints of beer over a 3 hour period, after i get home and after another 3 hour period my sugar has dropped to around 3.5 so i have to take some thing sweet to bring it back to around 5.5 to 6 so it does crash blood sugar just be sure to test after drinking

Kingsland

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Plain fish, tripe, porridge, pasta, boiled rice,
Why was I told to avoid beer and drink cider?

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So what are the downsides to alcohol? I thought that alcohol was supposed to contribute to fatty liver which would cause raised blood sugars? Seems confusing.

Excessive alcohol consumption will damage your liver, and could be a cause of fatty liver.

Both will be a potential cause of Diabetes.

The key word is excessive.