I've Lost Weight on Metformin

lizzyjojo

Dislikes
disrespect
I to am type 2 on metformin 1000 twice a day and humulin 1 18 / 20units twice and byetta 10 units twice a day I am on a constant diet I really don't eat very much at all and I have gained about 5 stone in the last 3 years I do exercise and walk the dog everyday why can't I lose weight I have a very hard stomachs a look pregnant all the time I am 57 years Young lol but desperate to lose some weight I have tried so many different diets an the weight piles on can anyone advise on why this is happening

newbie55

I was put on Metformin and had stomach upsets, so I was put on slow-release Metformin and I've been fine since (apart from not being able to lose weight).

Doctor says a lot of people have adverse reactions to Metformin.

Cloudlesssky

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Great thread, guys, as I guess that there are many of us in the same position. Its lovely to be able to talk to people who are honest about themselves and their diabetes; I really appreciate you all.

I am 5 foot 3ins and weigh 16stone. I need desperately to lose 4 stone - then pause and continue down another couple - then pause and so on ...

Metformin x2 twice a day, and like many of you have said, it has had a quite severe affect on bowel movements!
I now take 3 tablets a day and only 4 on days I know the results won't complicate my life - which isn't ideal...

I lost weight prior to diagnosis in September but nothing since.

However, I know I do not control my carbs and sugars well enough. Any ideas and support (or warnings) welcomed.

Love to hear from you all :) ;) o_O

Shirl Bill

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm on metformin and lost lot of weight went first diagnosed and got my ab1 down to 5-8 but at moment I'm back up to 6-2 put on weight now it's so hard everything has sugar in I wasn't told much about diabetes was told I had it put on tabs said see me in 6mnths time had to see dietician gave me leaflet that was that was in all 5mins saw about feet check pulse was ok haven't been back since had to learn everything on sites like this I have just had cataract op due to being type 2 which hasn't worked still can't see now await op on leg as I had hypo damaged veins when I fell on it I'm tryin to lose weight now so hard

goose64

I've lost 5 kilos in about 6 weeks , having problems low carbing because my cholesterol rose - once I started eating "normally* ie not eating refined carbs & cutting back on fat it dropped to it's previous levels

goose64

I take 2000mg of Metformin daily and 110 units of insulin daily and I have gained 2 and 1/2 stone in 5 years which I find very depressing. I just think my metabolism is not co-operating! I was diagnosed with type 2 in1996 and eat plenty of fruit and veg. Drink plenty of fluids daily and watch my carbs. Exercise is hard as I have fused discs in my spine and osteoarthritis.

Cloudlesssky

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So those of you who have lost weight on Metformin,
do you think it is the metformin, or have you been particularly good or changed the amount of carbs and sugars you now eat as well?

amberbrooke

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have lost 3 stone since being diagnosed type 2 in May am on 2 metformin a day but have cut down on carbs only eat bread and potatoes at weekend

Sharon_1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Exactly the same as me Amberbrooke. I have cut down on carbs too. I think itis the mix of the 2 things. Metformin and low carb. It's a lovely feeling isn'tit?

Thanks for replying.

Shazzie xx

amberbrooke

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes it is a good feeling I have not lost weight in last 30 years have always eaten bread and potato as main part of my meals

amanda19640

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Moaning for moanings sake!!
Great thread, guys, as I guess that there are many of us in the same position. Its lovely to be able to talk to people who are honest about themselves and their diabetes; I really appreciate you all.

I am 5 foot 3ins and weigh 16stone. I need desperately to lose 4 stone - then pause and continue down another couple - then pause and so on ...

Metformin x2 twice a day, and like many of you have said, it has had a quite severe affect on bowel movements!
I now take 3 tablets a day and only 4 on days I know the results won't complicate my life - which isn't ideal...

I lost weight prior to diagnosis in September but nothing since.

However, I know I do not control my carbs and sugars well enough. Any ideas and support (or warnings) welcomed.

Love to hear from you all :) ;) o_O
Hi guys, just wanted to ask if people still drink alcohol while on metformin? Says not to on leaflet?

Patricia21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Animal crualty
Im on 1x500 mg each day.
I have a gin and slimline tonic every night,I dont know if I should but as far as I know it hasnt done me any harm.

Evelynross

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm on 2x500, I'm a heavy drinker, I am losing weight and low carbing, bg still too high, 10.04 today

Debs1970

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've been low carbing for 6 weeks and on 500mg of metformin a day. Constant diarhheoa, and haven't lost an ounce, how does THAT work?

Angela123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi , so happy to have found this app/ forum . Been diagnosed since April and feel pretty isolated . My GP just put me on meta florin and let me get on with it . Loads of strange symptoms so it's very reassuring to read everyone's experiences on this forum . Don't feel alone now x

johnbeal

well I must be the only one who hasn't lost waight on it, since I became a diabetic 4 years ago I have gained over 3 stone on these pills and cant shift it, any advice ?
Hi, I have type 2 and on 500mg of Metmorfin a day.I have not lost or gained weight but my stomach appears to be larger.

neil1945

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have been on metformin - 500 twice a day just over 5 weeks - lost 8 lbs - but just had to go onto slow release tablets because of side effects!!!

DiabetesDestroyer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi everyone. Hope you are all doing ok.

Just to let you know I have been on Metformin 2000mg a day for 2 months and I've lost 2 and a half stone in that time I am also following a low carb diet which will have definitely helped.

Anyone else lost weight?

Shazzie xx