Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Seem my signature! :)
ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1441470419.505057.jpg

I just saw this in the IDDT Magazine.

We all get insulin, needles etc on the NHS. Given the fact we all pay tax, that's fair enough. Please DO NOT claim for things that you can sort out with food. An alternative to basically taking advantage of the NHS in this manner is buying jelly babies or 'full fat' coke.

Taking advantage of situations like this will make things worse for us in the long run. The NHS is already overstretched, and the Tory government is looking to get rid of it altogether - don't help them by being cheap-skates - you do not need to get this stuff on the NHS. Doing so is just being utterly selfish.

I actually cannot believe that the magazine was dumb enough to post this.

Please use your heads!!

Thanks. :)

Reactions: 18 people

BigRedSwitch

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Seem my signature! :)
I have no idea. There was something else similar where Boots were offering all kinds of stuff for new Mums on the NHS (like baby wipes and calpol and the like) - I have two kids, and we paid for all of that because it's just taking a lend of something which shouldn't be abused!

Abuse it and lose it! :(

Reactions: 4 people

Natalie1974

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
They're their own worst enemy...considering the pressure the NHS is already under you can't help thinking that they do it to themselves. I spent some time working in accounts at an NHS hospital and was utterly stunned at the amount of money spent on really stupid things.

Reactions: 8 people

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
This really has the look of paid product placement aka "advertorial". What is IDDT Magazine anyway?

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I agree but prefer glucose tablets anyway as they are much neater to carry around.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Completely agree...but why have they made them available on the NHS??

Maybe because for people that have extreme difficulty controlling thier hypo's, putting one of these in thier pocket costs £1.59 versus the average cost of an ambulance call out at £247 ? (2012/13 cost)

Reactions: 3 people

ann34+

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Maybe because for people that have extreme difficulty controlling thier hypo's, putting one of these in thier pocket costs £1.59 versus the average cost of an ambulance call out at £247 ? (2012/13 cost)
Agree, hopefully, prescribing would depend on a GP assessment - it might turn out to save money in the long run in certain other cases - eg. for very young children it may prevent problems by being easier, and more agreeable, than fiddling about with opening and eating the cheaper glucose tabs, and sweets take a bit more time to have an effect than glucose, maybe also useful for the disabled, for the frail or arthritic elderly......etc.

Reactions: 2 people

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
And yet some GPs will not give out ketone testing meters or strips and the strips cost only 1 pound!

It's crazy what the NHS will fund and not fund. Similar issues here in NZ.

TooMuchGlucose

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
And yet some GPs will not give out ketone testing meters or strips and the strips cost only 1 pound!

It's crazy what the NHS will fund and not fund. Similar issues here in NZ.

I agree, England really suffers from what has been referred to as the postcode lottery having lived in two different places the quality of care I've received has been drastically different.