Hypo's everyday?

Kat6958

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've not had diabetes for very long, only a few months ago I was diagnosed. But just in the past couple of weeks and when I returned from my holidays, my blood has been dropping. My nurse told me that I just have to continue cutting back on the amount of insulin I take, but it seems like no matter how much I cut back on, they still drop. I have hypos every day now and sometimes I don't even realize that I'm having one, I'm starting to get really frustrated and really paranoid. But I do know of the honeymoon period and I'm just wondering if it might be that. I had two hypos today and I know this shouldn't be happening. Does anyone have any other tips apart from cutting back on insulin? :(

TooMuchGlucose

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Where did you go on holiday, warmer than the UK? Colder weather can cause your blood sugar to drop so that might be part of the problem. You could also be on your honeymoon. Have you reduced just your fast acting, or your long acting as well? I had a similar problem and had to reduce my long acting by half and my fast acting a bit, I've been pretty stable since.

Reactions: EllieM

Kat6958

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
eat some more carbs carbohrates say another 15 grams per meal keep insulin same level
what sort of work do you do maybe if it is manual work you are using a lot of carbs up if you sit at a desk not so much get my drift
o do more blood tests say 2 hours after a meal gives you an idea if you are takeing to much insulin as well this this must be done after every meal good luck just keep checking
vic
I am still in school but I often have to walk up many stairs and through a lot of corridors. I also have to walk far to get to my school so I always have to cut back at lunch and in the morning. But even at home it happens when I don't take much Insulin because I'm not moving around as much.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Keep cutting back on the insulin, what's the problem with that? I don't recommend adding carbs to feed the insulin. That's just going around in circles and is not healthy for you. Eat what's right for you and adjust the insulin to match. Even if you go down to 0.5 units of basal and no bolus, that's fine. I'd try to avoid going to zero, but do that if you need to. It's a normal consequence of the honeymoon period that often comes on shortly after insulin treatment begins.

Do you have a blood glucose meter and are you using it?

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I am still in school but I often have to walk up many stairs and through a lot of corridors. I also have to walk far to get to my school so I always have to cut back at lunch and in the morning. But even at home it happens when I don't take much Insulin because I'm not moving around as much.
I'm guessing you were not walking up and down stairs all day while you were on holiday? :)
You just need to adjust your basal insulin to your normal routine which looks like it has a lot of exercise - this is a good thing.

Reactions: 2 people

Kat6958

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Where did you go on holiday, warmer than the UK? Colder weather can cause your blood sugar to drop so that might be part of the problem. You could also be on your honeymoon. Have you reduced just your fast acting, or your long acting as well? I had a similar problem and had to reduce my long acting by half and my fast acting a bit, I've been pretty stable since.
It was a hot country, but my blood seemed fairly stable then. And now that you mention that, it has been getting colder where I am. I've reduced my fast acting and my long acting as well because it has gone as low as 4 in the morning.

Kat6958

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Keep cutting back on the insulin, what's the problem with that? I don't recommend adding carbs to feed the insulin. That's just going around in circles and is not healthy for you. Eat what's right for you and adjust the insulin to match. Even if you go down to 0.5 units of basal and no bolus, that's fine. I'd try to avoid going to zero, but do that if you need to. It's a normal consequence of the honeymoon period that often comes on shortly after insulin treatment begins.

Do you have a blood glucose meter and are you using it?
I've been cutting back, especially in the morning and at lunch, but it doesn't tend to drop at night. More after breakfast and after lunch. I tend just to have about 15g anyway and I don't like eating much more unless I really need to.

And yes, I do use it a lot in the day and I like to keep an eye on it at school so that it doesn't end up dropping in class.

Kat6958

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm guessing you were not walking up and down stairs all day while you were on holiday? :)
You just need to adjust your basal insulin to your normal routine which looks like it has a lot of exercise - this is a good thing.
And haha no, it was very hot so we didn't really do that much. I also do already use that, but I think I just need to change it so that it takes off a little more than usual :)

kevinfitzgerald

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
All things that hurt (emotional and physical)
Hi Kat and welcome to the forum.

I agree with @Spiker.

Unless you are starving yourself and eating virtually nothing whatsoever you should decrease your insulin until it corresponds to what you are eating. If your having regular hypos it will be to do with too much insulin rather than not enough food.

For now it would be better to have BS levels a little higher than they should be rather than continuing to have hypo after hypo and putting yourself at risk!

Reactions: 2 people

Kat6958

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Kat and welcome to the forum.

I agree with @Spiker.

Unless you are starving yourself and eating virtually nothing whatsoever you should decrease your insulin until it corresponds to what you are eating. If your having regular hypos it will be to do with too much insulin rather than not enough food.

For now it would be better to have BS levels a little higher than they should be rather than continuing to have hypo after hypo and putting yourself at risk!
Okay, thank you :)

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Keep decreasing the insulin assuming you are happy with the low-carb diet. Keep testing as it's possible the blood sugar might rise again

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've been cutting back, especially in the morning and at lunch, but it doesn't tend to drop at night. More after breakfast and after lunch. I tend just to have about 15g anyway and I don't like eating much more unless I really need to.

And yes, I do use it a lot in the day and I like to keep an eye on it at school so that it doesn't end up dropping in class.
In that case it sounds more like you need to reduce your carb ratio for your bolus insulin, particularly for the morning and lunchtime meals.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
As a general rule of thumb: your levels are rising or dropping 2-3 hours after a bolus.. Then your bolus needs adjustment. At all other times it would be basal.

Hiwever sometimes it can be both. The reason I say this is because our bodies generally like a certain ratio of bolys to basal. If you drop basals by say 10% then sometimes you can also find bolus's need an adjustment too. Eg... If my body runs on 10 units of basal a day and my whole day of bolys adds up to 10 as well. If I then end up knocking 1 unit of basal off because of summer weather then I will also need to lower my bolus ratio as my body does not work well when my basal bolus ratios are knocked out of sync.

(Figurs quoted aren't real, just examples). Most consultants like people to run on a 50/50 ratio. I run at 30/70.. Its what my body likes..

achyut1939

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
On three consecutive days I got hypos of 57 mg/dl. I felt very week, and trembling. I felt miserable. I drank sugar with water, to reduce the hypos. I eat 120g carbs per day meals a day. I take 30/70 premixed insulin 30 units before breakfast and 10 units before lunch. I do not understand why I got repeated hypos.