New Egg Research for Diabetes - Not good news!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
When I worked at a kennels many years ago,out in the countryside, my mum gave me money to buy fresh eggs and nearly every one had a double yoke, even then, in the 1970's, we managed to get BOGOF :)
I still like eggs, such a versatile food,
RRB

That's a good point, I can't remember the last time I had a double yoke. When we were kids our mum use to buy 2 dozen cracked eggs from a local farmer, he couldn't sell them at market so would sell them cheaper just to get rid of them, back then double yokes were quite common, must try and buy from a local farm :rolleyes:

Reactions: 4 people

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Our local farm shop sells bags of industrial grade chicken feed now, so unfortunately the days of the happy chicken starting by the farmhouse door waiting patiently for the fresh scraps of the farmers table may be gone forever.
Still the same industrial produced feed, still the same chemically enhanced eggs, just more of a warm fuzzy glow if you don't buy the battery ones.

Reactions: 2 people

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't plan to cut down on eggs. They're great.
One of my neighbours has chickens which roam our cul de sac all day, into everyone else's gardens, and no one has protested afaik. She began a few years back with rescued battery hens and recently got some pretty bantams. The smallest eggs are dinky size and the largest like goose eggs with orange yolks, but I've seen only one double yolk. They're fed on organic layer's pellets and an amazing variety of grits and spices, plus bits of other people's gardens of course. Our paper shreddings help line their beds.
The battery survivors seem to peg out quite soon and I've buried three on my allotment so far. One posh one disappeared and we think she was kidnapped.
When their house was on the ground a badger tunnelled under the floor and took three. Now they sleep in a home-made fortress on stilts 4ft above the ground with its own house name.
Recently a crow started eating the eggs in the nesting boxes, but my neighbour put mustard in a couple and the crow didn't like that.
I get six a week from my neighbour for individual boiled & fried eggs and top up with 10 from the Co-op for omelettes & baking, allegedly free range although I don't suppose that means much these days.
The world traffic in eggs for commercial use, mostly dried in powder form I think, is so unnatural I'd rather not think about it.
Sorry, that's turned out a bit long. More coffee.

Reactions: 7 people

AlexMBrennan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
However, they say they have adjusted the results for that, but I have no idea how
By using standard statistical techniques? Google GLM to see how it's done - understandably researchers do not include 4 years worth of statistics lectures in every paper.

For example, imagine this: temperature in January 2010 was 0 deg, and 25 deg in August 2014 - is global warming real? Obviously, month has an effect on temperature, so you work out the effect of August on temperature (take August temp - average temp for that year, and average over all the years you have data for) and find that the effect of the timing of the measurements fully explains the measured difference.

Last edited by a moderator:

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
By using standard statistical techniques? Google GLM to see how it's done - understandably researchers do not include 4 years worth of statistics lectures in every paper.

For example, imagine this: temperature in January 2010 was 0 deg, and 25 deg in August 2014 - is global warming real? Obviously, month has an effect on temperature, so you work out the effect of August on temperature (take August temp - average temp for that year, and average over all the years you have data for) and find that the effect of the timing of the measurements fully explains the measured difference.

Not quite, I'm not going to get into a climate change debate (because global warming is not the whole story), but if you look at the data and take say, August averages, you will see an increase, or look at the trends year to year. The recently released IPCC 5th Assesment Synthesis Report is worth a read. It shows about a 1C global average temperature rise since about 1850. But of course that's only the average, and the whole bell curve will have shifted, therefore affecting the extremes as well.

Do you seriously think a climate scientist is going to say it's warmer in the summer than the winter therefore we have global warming?

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
have I got this right?
egg eating was rampant before the 1970's and T2 was low, after the 1970's they cut eggs because of cholesterol and there has been a massive rise in T2
but it wasn't all the eggs before, it's the few eggs after that's the problem and caused a massive jump in T2...yep sounds like 'good science' to me
It was just preference to the colour of the egg in the seventies not the consumption,
Up until the early 1970s, white eggs were popular in the UK, but during the late 1970s the number of white eggs began to diminish as consumers expressed a preference for brown eggs. Since the 1980s the British industry has produced almost 100 per cent brown shelled eggs, although several other countries still produce white shelled eggs. There is no nutritional difference between white and brown shelled eggs.
Does not hard work and childrens exercise (playing outdoors etc: in those days , compared to our current slowdown activities + excess sugary foods and fizzy drinks etc; be the real reason towards health problems.

Nuthead

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
It was just preference to the colour of the egg in the seventies not the consumption,

Does not hard work and childrens exercise (playing outdoors etc: in those days , compared to our current slowdown activities + excess sugary foods and fizzy drinks etc; be the real reason towards health problems.
No. It's down to egg colour . It's obvious. :joyful:

Reactions: 4 people

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables

Well, that clears it up.

angelicbaby

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The issue I have with statistics is that they can be (and are) manipulated and "massaged" to give a desired result.

In a few years time, after more money is thrown at another research company we will be given something else to ponder on.

Reactions: 6 people

Nuthead

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
The issue I have with statistics is that they can be (and are) manipulated and "massaged" to give a desired result.

In a few years time, after more money is thrown at another research company we will be given something else to ponder on.
As a diabetic. If you can't eat it. It's statistically unimportant .
sxmas_cookies_100-102.gif

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@jack412 Why did not inform us of this info; regarding eggs. Blimey the Things you keep to yourself.;)
Research in Australia has shown that providing water at a temperature of 5OC in very hot weather enabled hens to produce eggs that maintained their dark shell colour. The shells also had a better weight and shell breaking strength. (Ref: Shell Quality and Cooling Drinking Water. Tangkere, Bhandra & Dingle. University of Queensland. 2001)
:):):)

Reactions: 3 people

bookmite

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well...I've been getting through 12 -14 eggs per week, they form a large part of my protein source. I don't intend to be concerned just yet. I am due a review in April next year, enough time for whatever I'm eating to impact on my lipids etc.

Good or bad I will know soon enough.

ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1417280542.738414.jpg

Reactions: 12 people

poohtiggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Getting old and diabetese
take nothing on face value...always spend 1/2 hour on google, sometimes you only need to google : Dr. Greger quack :)
Ppl
That's a good point, I can't remember the last time I had a double yoke. When we were kids our mum use to buy 2 dozen cracked eggs from a local farmer, he couldn't sell them at market so would sell them cheaper just to get rid of them, back then double yokes were quite common, must try and buy from a local farm :rolleyes:
The reason you don't often see double yolks is that farmers 'syphon' them out now with a light machine. It picks out the double yolkers they then sell them seperately at a much higher price. I bought some last year at a farmer's market and if you ever go to one there is a "double yolker" stall they cost me £4.95 though so better to buy double amount of single yolks if you want more yolk......but? isn't that the bad part for diabetics! Oh dear

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Not quite, I'm not going to get into a climate change debate (because global warming is not the whole story), but if you look at the data and take say, August averages, you will see an increase, or look at the trends year to year. The recently released IPCC 5th Assesment Synthesis Report is worth a read. It shows about a 1C global average temperature rise since about 1850. But of course that's only the average, and the whole bell curve will have shifted, therefore affecting the extremes as well.

Do you seriously think a climate scientist is going to say it's warmer in the summer than the winter therefore we have global warming?[/QUOTE

I've seen a meteorologists report(googled it) that states that Britain will become much colder because of global warming. It's something to do with where we are and the gulf steam, jet stream and the weirder weather that is happening mid Atlantic and the states!

So why are we having warmer weather this year?

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's not global warming.

It's Climate change.

The UK overall may get a colder CLIMATE, measured over YEARS

That's not the same as WEATHER, measured over MONTHS, which is inherently variable.

The report you were reading may have been talking about the effetc of the melting of the Greenland Ice Cap, which some predictions would say wil dilute the Gulf Stream as it turns south again in the North West Atlantic. More fresh water run-off = less salinity = less dense water = no sinking and turning = no return current to the caribbean = no gulf stream = colder UK

We are at the same latitude as Nova Scotia after all.

mcdonagh47

This is worth reading if you want to improve your health - http://tinyurl.com/p6mrylw
Here is a quote "One study found that eating just a single egg a week increased the odds of diabetes by 76%. Two eggs a week doubled the odds, and an egg a day tripled the odds."
For people who do have a fascination with health - the entire website http://www.nutritionfacts.org is really useful.

Heh,heh - perhaps it was the "soldiers" wot done it ?

Brit90

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
As I said, the choice is yours to improve your own health.

The arguement that its all **** is a pathetic argument.
EG, my Uncle smokes 100 per day for 30 plus years, no cancer - but it doesn't then mean that smoking doesn't cause cancer, because it does.
Everyone is slightly different and people are more susceptible to different products in food or food itself, hence we get people who are intolerant to different things.

I developed Type 1 Diabetes through getting hit by a car, not from the food I ate. Most people with Type 1 get it worse than Type 2, But if you want to reduce the problems and complications eating varied food is good for you. Food generally heals your body, not medication, medication is just a patch most of the time.

Reactions: 5 people

wd6ecc

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

wd6ecc

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
i have been eating eggs all my life every day, was not diagnosed with diabetes till the year 2000 i am now in my late 70's just wonder where these surveys get their imfo from, drank real milk too not the 2% you get in the usa