Hypo Anxiety (long post sorry)

laurenlkjones

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey everyone. I'm a pretty new diabetic, diagnosed just under 2 years ago, aged 18.
For 6 months my sugars were hitting the 20s every day and I'd check my sugars maybe once a month. I'd miss insulin injections and eat all the carbohydrates I wanted. Safe to say, I didn't take too well to the diagnosis. I was forced to drop out of my Performing Arts course, and almost lost my partner and at one point, life. My family were (and still are) unsupportive with my diabetes care, with my mother being diabetic herself and refusing all medication. Long story short, after these 6 months, I finally started calming down and looked at what I could achieve out of my life, not what diabetes has taken away, and in April of 2014, fell pregnant with my first child.
With my sugars still averaging around 20 daily and no idea how to control them, over the next few months, through a change in home, insulin and attitude, I reduced my Hba1c from 109 to 54... a massive jump in just 5 months! The difficulty came after the birth of my son, who is a perfectly healthy little boy, weighing 8lb 11oz, born Dec 30th 14. My entire diabetes education was based around how to control my sugars whilst pregnant! In the weeks before birth, my sugars rarely went over 7.5 and I had maybe one mild hypo (3.5 or over) every few weeks. I had perfected my basil and bolus doses to eat however I wanted and keep in perfect control.
The night after I gave birth, I had my first serious hypo. I was still in hospital and my midwives were not trained to deal with diabetic patients, and when my sugars hit 2.0, they did very little to help! They refused to give my any orange juice or toast as it was the middle of the night and they could only give me food after 8am. I panicked and still remember the fear I had as if it were the other day. I must have eaten about 80 grams of fast acting carbs out of my hospital bag (Thank god I still had my snacks!) and even then, I only hit 8.7.
As I was pre-warned, my sugars took a little while to stabilise after the birth and I had to east about 100 grams a day without injecting a single unit of insulin just to keep my sugars up about 5.0 (I was breastfeeding as well which is why I needed so much). About 6 weeks after my son was born, my sugars started creeping back up again so I started injecting small doses of insulin, and every time I did, I would have a hypo. In the first 6 months of his life, the paramedics had been called 5 times because I could not raise my sugars. To make the situation worse, on a night where I ate a lot of carbs and injected the most insulin I'd had in months, I came down with food poisoning and was admitted to hospital after even the paramedics couldn't bring my levels back up above 4 for more than 15 minutes.
Jump ahead to present day and about a month ago, my averages were back up to the 18/20 mark as I was terrified of injecting more than a unit or 2 for fear of hypoglycaemia. I've now started gradually increasing the amount I'm injecting and am on a 1unit:15grams ratio. Trouble is, when my sugars hit 10.0 or under, I panic! I get so anxious about the idea of a hypo, that I start treating one, even though there isn't any sign of one! Just the slight sign of my hands starting to shake or my heart rate increasing (I'm anaemic so this happens fairly often), I'm throwing back carbs just in case my sugars are falling, testing afterwards to find that they were about 15 to begin with. I won't go to bed at night without slow acting carbs first, and my sugars HAVE to be above 10 or I physically can''t sleep.
My worry is, I'm 16 weeks pregnant now on my second child, and even though I'm taking the same steps as last time to gradually bring back down my averages (down from 18.7 in April to 12.6 in August), I'm finding it so much harder mentally because this time, I have experiences with hypos and it honestly terrifies me! I'm worried every day that there will be consequences for my baby if I can't get thing sorted out sooner rather than later!My diabetes team is an hour an a half away on a bus as I don't drive and they literally NEVER answer their phones! My next appointment isn't until next month, when I'm 20 weeks pregnant.
Can anyone help me out?!

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Congratulations on your pregnancy :)

I dont have a magic answer for your anxiety, but I do know what it's like to live in fear of hypos. Before I got my pump I had awful nocturnal ones which caused seizures and left me scared to go to sleep. I can quite understand how your experience has left you afraid.

I think you need to set up some 'safety nets' so you can relax more. So you coukd keep hypis treatments in every single room for a start. Then - what about setting an alarm to test your BS in the night? That's what I did when I was pregnant and it helped me a lot.

Because you're keeping your sugars so high, you may be getting false hypos - feeling hypo even when you're not. Can you gradually bring your sugars down so that you don't get those?

I also suggest you talk to someone about your fears. Maybe a DSN, maybe yoUr GP, maybe a friend. Anyone who'll understand and reassure you.

Finally, when you're feeling down and afraid, remember you're doung all this to get good control so you can be in the best of health for your children. I find my children a big motivation when diabetes is making me feel bad.

Best of luck with everything :)

Edited to add - maybe you could look at the possibility of getting a pump? You should get better control and also be able to have tiny/more accurate doses of insulin. It should also be useful during pregnancy.

Reactions: 3 people

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I also know what the fear of hypos is like. The suggestion of a pump is a good one. I would also say to contact a hospital with a diabetic unit to assist with your birth in general, and in particular to start now working with you on the hypo fears and assisting with blood glucose management. I have spoken to a DSN who was horrified to hear that T1 women go through pregnancy without direct support from a hospital DSN all the way through. The fact that your midwives first time around had no diabetes clinical staff in support is surprising.

Reactions: 2 people

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Sorry to hear about your experience here, I went through gestational diabetes a few years before full blown type 1 was diagnosed and I felt like I was walking on egg shells with managing my blood glucose, I also felt incredibly worried about the health of my child, i'd had my first experiences of hypos with taking insulin and they were awful.

Azure & Spiker have given sound advice, you should speak to your team about a pump, you should be given priority here.

Running at the levels you are you will be feeling generally rotten, so by gaining better control you will start to feel better, I don't know what hypo treatment you use but I find glucogel is a quick and easy treatment for mine, I carry them everywhere, in my bedside, purse etc for easy access, regular testing and also recording results will help you monitor your levels too. I have found that by regular testing I have reduced my hypos alot, my anxieties have faded as my confidence has improved.

Ideally you need a DSN who you can communicate with either by phone or email - can you ask your local endocrinology dept for more support ?

Reactions: 2 people