DietOrganizer (DO) Windows PC software

freshlybrewed

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
sensory overloading
I have been searching for standalone Windows PC diet tracking software that doesn't require an internet connection. DietOrganizer meets those requirements and it's free!

http://www.dietorganizer.com/

I've been using it every day for the past week and so far I'm happy with how it works. Currently I'm tracking everything I eat to maintain carbs as close to 20g per day as possible, whilst keeping an eye on the fat and protein percentage. The software is taking a massive load of work out of doing this manually as well as providing nice pretty charts, exercise, body mass, measurements and so on.

I know this software won't suit everyone, but for those who like to be in control it does the job well. I spent the first few days manually entering nutritional information for everything on my diet that wasn't in its own database. The database is in XML format for those geeky enough who'd like to share or edit.

Daily entries couldn't be easier. There are so many helpful shortcuts and well thought out mechanisms to enter data.

If anyone else is interested or already using this software I'd be interested in chatting about it and sharing ideas. For example what your daily workflow is and how I prepare batches of mixed vegetables into portions and enter the nutritional information into DO.

I don't know whether this is the correct place to post stuff like this but if it's not please move move it, thanks.

Reactions: 4 people

geoffry

I would be interested to hear more about this. How UK friendly is it in terms of does it feature foods from the major supermarkets and we'll known brands? Presumably once you have added your own favourites it then gets quicker to use? My BMS are so sensitive, type 1.5, that it still pays to when possible, record everything I am about to eat and work out the carbs as accurately as possible rather than trying to guess. I assume this would be quicker than having to keep referring back to old record sheets or my carb book. Would welcome your thoughts. Thanks

Reactions: 4 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I have been searching for standalone Windows PC diet tracking software that doesn't require an internet connection. DietOrganizer meets those requirements and it's free!

http://www.dietorganizer.com/

I've been using it every day for the past week and so far I'm happy with how it works. Currently I'm tracking everything I eat to maintain carbs as close to 20g per day as possible, whilst keeping an eye on the fat and protein percentage. The software is taking a massive load of work out of doing this manually as well as providing nice pretty charts, exercise, body mass, measurements and so on.

I know this software won't suit everyone, but for those who like to be in control it does the job well. I spent the first few days manually entering nutritional information for everything on my diet that wasn't in its own database. The database is in XML format for those geeky enough who'd like to share or edit.

Daily entries couldn't be easier. There are so many helpful shortcuts and well thought out mechanisms to enter data.

If anyone else is interested or already using this software I'd be interested in chatting about it and sharing ideas. For example what your daily workflow is and how I prepare batches of mixed vegetables into portions and enter the nutritional information into DO.

I don't know whether this is the correct place to post stuff like this but if it's not please move move it, thanks.

Too techie for this one fingered technophobe!
Let us know how you get on with it.

I use a food diary designed by me on old fashioned pencil and paper!

Reactions: 2 people

freshlybrewed

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
sensory overloading
How UK friendly is it in terms of does it feature foods from the major supermarkets and we'll known brands? Presumably once you have added your own favourites it then gets quicker to use?

Yes it's totally UK friendly, just add your own food entries or edit the ones included in the database to have net carbs when you use them. It comes with a default database taken from http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods

And yeah exactly, once you have your main core of food in the database it's really easy to work with.

My BMS are so sensitive, type 1.5, that it still pays to when possible, record everything I am about to eat and work out the carbs as accurately as possible rather than trying to guess. I assume this would be quicker than having to keep referring back to old record sheets or my carb book.

I think you'll find it useful. It's more than a food diary, it's also helpful in creating meals and managing the diet with a goal focused on the three elements that make up calories; carbs, protein and fat.

It seems to allow varying degrees of attention to detail. An open platform where you'd create what's useful to you. I mean if you know your regular meals nutritional data then create a list of those that are easy to enter, and along side that if you need to get very detailed with other things.

Let me know how you get on if you give it a try.

silverbirch

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @freshlybrewed, had a look at the link you posted and at the moment the download for dietorganizer is free. Do you know if this will always be free. My concern is that I will download it, get used to it, can't manage without it and then they decide to start charging.

freshlybrewed

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
sensory overloading
I see what you're saying @silverbirch the software is a standalone product, there aren't any online resources tied to it's use.
All your data is stored locally, it can be installed on a portable drive if you need.
So if they start charging again it shouldn't affect the use of the free version.

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I downloaded this earlier today, before seeing the thread. I tried My Fitness pal but with so many people inputting incomplete data for food items it wasn't much use to me. I think once I get the hang of this, it will be useful.

freshlybrewed

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
sensory overloading
For those of you not interested in the maths side of this (look away now), and then just copy the numbers later.
For anyone else I'd welcome your feedback as to whether my calculations are correct and that the software is producing accurate values as an end result.

I noticed on the side of a bottle of Safflower Oil it specifies it's volume mass ratio. 110ml = 100g and the nutritional information is in grams. Typically I'd measure out portions of oil using a tablespoon as it's quick and easy and I can lick the spoon afterwards which is nice. So initially I added the volume mass ratio into the portion tab of the editing food window. However the tbsp value didn't seem right when adding the food, I don't know why. So I've added a my own (tbsp) unit which takes the volume mass ratio into account.

1 tbsp which is 17.7581714 ml, multiplied by the weight mass ratio is the equivalent number of grams 16.1437922 g
So enter 1 (tbsp) = 16.14379 into the portions tab

how to calculate standard portions with volume weight adjusted food.png

I don't think the software is faulty, I think it doesn't take into consideration the volume mass of the food when specified, or it uses a different conversion value for what a tbsp is.

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Although I know a collateralized debt obligation from my elbow, I don't think my math is up to this.

However, have you considered the possibilities:
(A) that Diet Organizer is using US measures and converting to metric
(B) using USDA nutritional info and converting that to metric
(C) a US tablespoon measures only 0.83 of a UK tablespoon according to one culinary website and 1 UK tablespoon is * 1.0408 according to another. An Australian tablespoon converts to 20ml, a UK one to 25ml.
(D) If you're relying on data input from others, it could be wrong. Indy51 recommended NutritionData.com to me and if you join that you can organise your own food items and menus not have to search through those used by others.

freshlybrewed

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
sensory overloading
No wonder my recipes are turning out bad. If the US recipe is 3 tbsp and I'm using UK tablespoons :***:
I hate this, why don't they use their own measuring instead of call it the same as ours and use their own calibration for it?
So it's not just a problem with the software, it's a problem with humans, and not limited to cooking.

What I've been doing however is anything where I use tsp tbsp measures I create my own tsp = g portion.
Just weigh 10 tsp / tbsp in grams and divide by ten for the average and enter that in the portion section.
That way it'll be accurate in the software, so 1tsp of baking powder weighs less than 1tsp of bicarbonate of soda or 1tsp of lead or 1tsp of oil if you're a robot.

I do use NutritionData.com it's a great site for reference, thank you.

edit: I found this site http://www.metric-conversions.org/ which will be helpful.

Last edited by a moderator: