Is this a joke???

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I've been writing to them at intervals about their dietary advice and some of their recipes over a period of a couple of years. The best reply I've had is" If it works for You... "
So I go to every DUK sponsored event that I can get to and spread sedition.
Hana

Pozzie

Seriously.. it all just makes me want to cry.

How do they get away with it? I dont suppose the media would be interested in an expose of this rubbish!!

weggy

I've finally had a response from them...

"---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2009 14:45:41 +0100
To:
Subject: RE: New treatment for Type 2 diabetes, great recipes and all the latest in your August e-newsletter

Dear Weggy,

Thank you for your enquiry. We were very interested to hear your comments and have also passed on and discussed them with our editorial team and care advisors.

In the past, we have tried to emphasise that although a healthy diet is key to everyday living with diabetes and long-term health, balanced eating isn't about restricting or excluding food choices; there is no single food that people with diabetes must not eat and the "sugar-free diet" is no longer necessary. Though sugar can be eaten as part of a healthy diet, it does still need to be limited. However, people with diabetes can often feel daunted at the thought food choices on special occasions - so we do try and make the point that celebrations, parties and special occasions are possible times to enjoy foods that may be higher in fat or sugar than your usual choices.

We do agree with you, in respect that the recipe you mention is one that is high in sugar and may not be the healthiest choice to make; but we would also add that this shouldn't be a problem as an occasional treat as part of a healthy balanced diet.

However, we do acknowledge your comments and you are quite right in that less sugar could be used as an alternative. You may be interested to know that we are currently looking at ways in which we can clearly label our recipes or possibly signpost people in how to adapt recipes for regular healthier options, or as a lower calorie option for people who are looking at losing weight.

Please contact us again if we can be of further assistance. You can also call our Careline on 0845 120 2960*, Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm. The lines are staffed by trained Careline counsellors who would be happy to offer what support and information they can.

With Best Wishes
Diabetes UK Careline
Ref03
*BT calls from landlines cost no more than 4p per minute; calls from other operators and mobiles may vary. Alternatively, call 020 7424 1000 and ask Reception to transfer your call to the Careline.

Sent: Fri 8/14/2009 10:12 AM
To: CustomerService
Cc: Info
Subject: Fwd: New treatment for Type 2 diabetes, great recipes and all the latest in your August e-newsletter

Thanks for the newsletter. However, not impressed to see the 'recipe of the month' - Cherry Meringue containing Muller yoghurt (high sugar content), castor sugar (hmmmm), cherry compote (made with sugar) and I dare say the trifle sponges also contain sugar. How much sugar does all that lot contain? Hardly helpful to a diabetic!!

Weggy

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
That is TYPICAL management speak. Proves to me that DUK HAS NO INTEREST in helping Diabetics - just that they are a business and need to be SEEN TO BE helping diabetics.