Things a type 1 hates to hear

Mollysdrunk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So I was bored and wrote this http://mollysdrunk.blogspot.com/2015/08/10-things-type1-diabetic-hates-to-hear.html .
And I'm wondering, as a type 1 what annoys you the most?
I mean no offence to type 2s, every type sucks but it drives me crazy that people assume that all diabetes is diet controlled!
I was healthy, having only just managed to escape being underweight when I was diagnosed so people assuming I had too much sugar really bugs me.
So what else drives people crazy?

Reactions: 6 people

52O342UOIF

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
There's environment factors and genetics that play in with both type 1, type 2 and LADA. You don't have to be obese or have a poor lifestyle to get type 2 diabetes, a common misconception.

The only thing that's bothers me is when/if I get asked how many units I took for something or how my blood sugar is, really annoying when it happens.

Reactions: 2 people

TooMuchGlucose

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
When non-diabetics or those without hypoglycaemia say they 'have low blood sugar' *Resting ***** face*

Reactions: 14 people

L3wisr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
tumblr_n4lyr9BYo71rti9ilo1_500.jpg

:woot:

Reactions: 17 people

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
My pet hate is when a nurse queries if you are type 1 because only children get that!

Last time this was said to me I replied what do you think happens to children with type one........ cured or dead so they don't reach adulthood?

Reactions: 21 people

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
When I was first diagnosed my brother in law said something along the lines of 'at least you can take insulin for that'..

Mmmmm how about this, worrying for the rest of my life about what food to eat, what my bg is doing, will I hypo if I do that, am I ok to exercise, will I get complications if I don't get it right, how many carbs in that, do I feel ok, am I ill, have I taken enough/too much insulin, do I tell everyone i'm type 1 or just keep my mouth shut lol..

That felt like a rant..!!

Reactions: 8 people

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
When I was first diagnosed my brother in law said something along the lines of 'at least you can take insulin for that'..

Mmmmm how about this, worrying for the rest of my life about what food to eat, what my bg is doing, will I hypo if I do that, am I ok to exercise, will I get complications if I don't get it right, how many carbs in that, do I feel ok, am I ill, have I taken enough/too much insulin, do I tell everyone i'm type 1 or just keep my mouth shut lol..

That felt like a rant..!!
Well, it was a mini rant, to which you're quite entitled, IMO :)

Reactions: 4 people

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
When a family member has riled you and you're having a row, when they say, I think you should check your blood sugar

At that point, the volcano blows.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 22 people

Mollysdrunk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had to stand and listen to my old boss for about 15 minutes while he explained that he'd seen on line that diabetes can be cured in 19 days and explained it to me.. Not only was it a load of bull but he still doesn't accept that it's not true! He told me how loads of money is made of diabetes treatment but had no response when I told him everything in the UK is free!

Wurst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Narcissistic forum members
The one that still annoys me above all others is :-

The diabetic 'friend of a friend' or distant relative that someone knows or who has heard about and who has absolutely no problems with diabetes ! These people don't need to test , never have hypos and eat what they want :) Unfortunately I have yet to meet one or see their HB1AC results :)

Another recent one was I was about to drink 1/2 a glass of champagne to celebrate a work event when a colleague tried making me look stupid by stating in front of everyone it would undo all the years of hard work, exercise and good control :) In 1/2 a glass , slightly misinformed !

Reactions: 7 people

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had to stand and listen to my old boss for about 15 minutes while he explained that he'd seen on line that diabetes can be cured in 19 days and explained it to me.. Not only was it a load of bull but he still doesn't accept that it's not true! He told me how loads of money is made of diabetes treatment but had no response when I told him everything in the UK is free!

Your gaffer was even dimmer on the debate than you thought..
Pharma is BIG business & somebody does pay for it.. Lol the tax payer..! ;)

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
When a family member has riled you and you're having a row, when they say, I think you should check your blood sugar

At that point, the Lucy volcano erupts.

I had an ex girlfriend throw that smoke screen at me years ago..
My reply while calmly & needlesly chewing on a mars bar was. "OK, are you willing to talk about your drug and money problems now..?" :D

TooMuchGlucose

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The one that still annoys me above all others is :-

The diabetic 'friend of a friend' or distant relative that someone knows or who has heard about and who has absolutely no problems with diabetes ! These people don't need to test , never have hypos and eat what they want :) Unfortunately I have yet to meet one or see their HB1AC results :)

Another recent one was I was about to drink 1/2 a glass of champagne to celebrate a work event when a colleague tried making me look stupid by stating in front of everyone it would undo all the years of hard work, exercise and good control :) In 1/2 a glass , slightly misinformed !

You have should have issued a formal complaint with your employer.

Postitnote

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
At the moment... artex ceilings. Also the concrete patio.

At that point, the volcano blows.
YES!

When I go out to eat at an unfamiliar restaurant and I ask the waiter about ingredients in certain dishes, I am labelled as "fussy" :(

Reactions: 8 people

Flowerpot

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My non diabetic friend on the occasions I've had hypos when out with her has said "Now you mention it, I'm feeling a bit peckish too".

Aarghh :banghead: I said I was hypo, not hungry. There's quite a difference between having a blood sugar of 2 and hoping the glucose hits before I pass out and taking ages to choose a cafe and deciding what you would like to eat. Hypo panic does not equal 'a bit peckish'!

Reactions: 18 people

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
YES!

When I go out to eat at an unfamiliar restaurant and I ask the waiter about ingredients in certain dishes, I am labelled as "fussy" :(

You could always ask to speak to the chef.. ;)

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Erm,................ Surely your last sentence is just plain wrong?

Reactions: 4 people

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My non diabetic friend on the occasions I've had hypos when out with her has said "Now you mention it, I'm feeling a bit peckish too".

Aarghh :banghead: I said I was hypo, not hungry. There's quite a difference between having a blood sugar of 2 and hoping the glucose hits before I pass out and taking ages to choose a cafe and deciding what you would like to eat. Hypo panic does not equal 'a bit peckish'!

Your friend actually sounds lovely.
Acknowledging a "tricky situation" & calmly, matter of factly going with the flow while you treat. :cool:

becky.ford93

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
When dessert is brought out at a family even... "Aw Becky this must be hard for you!"... Um, why? Sugar isn't cyanide to me.

Reactions: 9 people