FREESTYLE LIBRE ON SALE!!!!

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I've had about 15% replaced due to inaccuracy, 20% due to sensor failure and 10% due to falling off.

jackois

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'd still be using it, but for the skin problems. I got to sensor ten before I stopped due to skin problems at the sensor site which were causing the sensors to fall off.

Fair play to Freestyle as they replaced all of the failed ones without any quibbles leaving me with 2 unused. I'll give these a go after a 6 month break to allow everything to heal properly.

I keep an eye on this thread in the hope that they come up with a solution as I think that it has revolutionised managing blood sugars.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've had about 15% replaced due to inaccuracy, 20% due to sensor failure and 10% due to falling off.

I have applied 6 sensors, and my third replacement is in transit. The one before this one was all very low, including lots of LOs, when I just wasn't. This one, started low, evened up for a day, then had gone bonkers high. Again, this one is being replaced.

I'm beginning to wonder if it's me, but my application process and sites are compliant. I do tend to run along tram-tracks, so it's maybe just more evident when the sensors go adrift. Who knows.

igmr

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
very good if you drive a lot .
FREESTYLE LIBRE
as it gives readings every 15 mins also a trend arrow if you are dropping or going up last 14 days use my one to stable night sugars plus still check blood with my pump meter
cost £5-00 per day 96 tests in a day lasts 14 days not a bad investment if you can achieve a stable insulin to food ratio look at in the long run may help to bring hbac1 down may save kidney/eyes / nerves/ damage
all are very very important to just like the lady who was the first blind actor . on EMMERDALE RIP
vic
ps overall cost to start say 150-00 to 170-00

No one in their right mind would use Libre scans for driving. Scans do not comply with DVLA specific requirements and you'd be mad to want to appear in court with a meter than runs 2 different systems giving wildly different results .

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Anyone know what the current waiting time is, I signed up over 4 months ago, and still waiting.

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
How many of us people who started with the libre when it first came out are still using it? I gave up after 5 sensors but must admit I miss having the overnight graphs.

Has the NHS approved of the system yet? Or the DVLA?
I'm still using it, but intermittently. I find it wonderful. It pulls me up from bad habits every single time. And I don't worry about hypos now.

TOMJC

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No one in their right mind would use Libre scans for driving. Scans do not comply with DVLA specific requirements and you'd be mad to want to appear in court with a meter than runs 2 different systems giving wildly different results .

Not true. As long as you are complying with DVLA guidelines by testing with your regular glucose monitor when they say you need to then the libre is great as an advanced warning system. Just don't rely on it and always ensure complying with min DVLA testing guidelines

igmr

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Not true. As long as you are complying with DVLA guidelines by testing with your regular glucose monitor when they say you need to then the libre is great as an advanced warning system. Just don't rely on it and always ensure complying with min DVLA testing guidelines

I find your comment offensive. You say "not true" then follow up confirming everything I said. You would be mad to use a Libre scanner for driving.

TimWJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

There is a lot of conflicting info available on the web but as far as I can see the DVLA guidelines exclude CGMS.

Taken from https://www.gov.uk/guidance/current...s--continuous-glucose-monitoring-systems-cgms

Diabetes – Continuous glucose monitoring systems (CGMS)
Group 1 entitlement ODL – car, motorcycle
As these systems measure interstitial glucose, drivers must also monitor blood glucose as with ‘Diabetes – insulin treated

However I do find it incredibly useful.

The DVLA guidelines certainly do not protect me from having a hypo whilst driving, in 2 hours I can certainly go from mid 7s to hypo. But I hope my regime using the Libre does.

For a short dive (<30mins) I will scan and if above 8 or above 6 with a rising trend, I will just drive. (assuming the reading is as I expect and I have not just been exercising etc etc). Otherwise I will finger prick and act appropriately. I agree not meeting their recommendations, but I feel adequate.

For a longer drive, I always scan and finger prick. Then scan at least once every 30 mins. If I see it in a downward trend and below 6, I will take action, either chew a few glucose tablets or finger prick. and also finger prick at 2h intervals.

igmr

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Wow. Moronically ignorant as well as rude. Guess you haven't even informed DVLA that you are using insulin as they send out a leaflet detailing exactly what you are legally required to do in regard to testing. Not guidelines. Sounds like you think this is all about your convenience and not the safety of others

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Wow. Moronically ignorant as well as rude. Guess you haven't even informed DVLA that you are using insulin as they send out a leaflet detailing exactly what you are legally required to do in regard to testing. Not guidelines. Sounds like you think this is all about your convenience and not the safety of others
How many type 1s test before they get in a car and drive, every time? I'd hazard a guess that the answer to that is less than 50%. Especially when you consider the DVLA document that everyone bandies about is written in terms of advice and not "rules", indeed it states that you are "advised" to test blood glucose less than two hours before driving. Not "you must", and equally, it states that "you should not start driving for forty five minutes after a hypo" not "you must not".

With this is mind and the language used, in a court, these do not qualify as rules. It might not be fun to try and rely on, and that probably wouldn't save you if you got into trouble, but it isn't a set of rules.

The only use of the term "must" relates to severe hypos requiring assistance and informing the DVLA.

8bca6c533f07a1c678f78fdcf6f6ad41.jpg

Postitnote

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
At the moment... artex ceilings. Also the concrete patio.
I wanted to ask about accuracy and sites. I have just started using the Libre (yesterday) and because I am vain, I have put the sensor on my upper thigh. The readings are not consistent with my finger prick tests - Libre's readings are between 0.5 and 1.0 lower. Is this because of the site do you think? Or, because the sensor is inaccurate (which I understand can be quite common!)

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
It could just be the sensor. Variation of 0.5 between blood and sensor is normal. If your sensor has been on for less than 24hrs, a 1mmol/l variation is also reasonably normal.

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Postitnote have you just bought it and if so when did you first register for it? Its the 24hr trends that I'd find useful rather than the spot on readings, if it's constamtly 0.5-1 mmol out thats fine (by me).

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Within reason, I wouldn't be concerned about a consistent blood/sensor differential. Like Slip, I find the trends data to be enlightening; especially the overnight stuff, which realistically, we're never going to fully understand without this insight.

For me that means, I would never see that I have a rise (albeit a very modest, and insignificant) rise immediately before I get up in the night. I don't necessarily wake every night, but if I do, I will often scan as I get out of bed, so I have a times tamp in the data of any nocturnal waking disturbances.

The only times I have reliability challenges are when the sensors are inconsistent. If you expect perfection, it is almost guaranteed you will be disappointed.

Postitnote

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
At the moment... artex ceilings. Also the concrete patio.
I actually got it in May (after 5 months' wait), but only started using it now as (1) summer and short sleeves ... felt a bit embarrassed; (2) it's a constant, physical reminder of my diabetes and I wasn't comfortable with that.

It has only been on a day so I shall see where we get to after 14 days! I am already enjoying seeing the straight(-ish) line though! just seeing how my body reacts to breakfast is awesome! I can't wait to see what happens when l I go to the gym on Thursday.

Reactions: 2 people

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Interestingly, I got an email today asking me (as an early adopter of Abbott technologies) if I wanted to sign up to the patient improvement plan. This (a) clears up for any of us that the Libre release really was an early adopter market trial rather than a full blown release... and (b) that there's likely to be some interesting stuff in the offing given the questions relating to NFC in a phone if you have a smartphone...

Reactions: 4 people

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Interestingly, I got an email today asking me (as an early adopter of Abbott technologies) if I wanted to sign up to the patient improvement plan. This (a) clears up for any of us that the Libre release really was an early adopter market trial rather than a full blown release... and (b) that there's likely to be some interesting stuff in the offing given the questions relating to NFC in a phone if you have a smartphone...
Yup - I also signed up to this. Like the mention of NFC.