Things a type 1 hates to hear

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had to stand and listen to my old boss for about 15 minutes while he explained that he'd seen on line that diabetes can be cured in 19 days and explained it to me.. Not only was it a load of bull but he still doesn't accept that it's not true! He told me how loads of money is made of diabetes treatment but had no response when I told him everything in the UK is free!
Ask him why there are still so many diabetics around if the cure is so quick and easy ...
:D:D

Robbity

Curly604

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The most annoying thing ever is when you go on holiday with a friend and all the ask at every meal is "have you taken your insulin" amount of times I felt like snapping "no I haven't good job your here cause I forget every other meal I ever have when your not there"

Reactions: 9 people

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
At work some years ago, someone saw me doing my injection and asked me why I didn't just take tablets. I had to struggle to stop myself giving a really sarcastic answer. "Because I just LOVE sticking needles in myself!".

Reactions: 7 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
At work some years ago, someone saw me doing my injection and asked me why I didn't just take tablets. I had to struggle to stop myself giving a really sarcastic answer. "Because I just LOVE sticking needles in myself!".

:arghh: :banghead:

katiemc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
When a guy at work heard I had been diagnosed T1, he said "oh you must have had a really sweet tooth and ate too much sweet stuff to get that"

I had to walk away or I would have slapped him! :mad:

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 4 people

dylt1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
When your blood sugar level is bang on and someone says 'ohh thats low isn't it?'

Reactions: 5 people

Nicola M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
When people tell me I can't have something, I don't tell them what they can and can't have so why should they be able to tell me. It annoys me so much!

LauraC27

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Last week i met a friend of a friend for the first time..
who saw me testing my blood sugars and he asked me if i was type one or type two..
I said Type one and he said....

'ooohh yeahhhh i think i'm going to get type one too'.............i asked why..

His reply...'Because my dad owns a sweet shop'.......... :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:
...honestly...:banghead:

Reactions: 13 people

Dacuslive

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This is so so good, not so much the things people say but reading how everyone comes across these peeps. Makes me feel a little better knowing it's not just me that meets people like this.

On the other hand though I have got to realise that diabetes is not as well advertised as it should be, most people do not understand or know much about it, and really if they are not diabetic or have a diabetic family member why should they? In a lot of cases the only diabetes they hear about is type 2 so just suggest that's what everyone has. When people talk about it they just use "diabetes" not "type1" or "type2" so that is probably where the confusion comes from. It's a hard thing to deal with but next time someone says one of these uneducated things have a little laugh inside at how stupid they really are and try not to let it annoy you. Easier said than done I know but it will make you feel better :) as well getting stressed makes them think they are right and have annoyed you by saying you shouldn't eat that cake lol :)

bridkid_74

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Im a t1 and a nurse. My colleagues all seem to know my diabetes better than me! I get comments likd oh i'll have your share of chocolates/biscuits weve being given because we dont want you having a "wobbly" ive given up explaing that i can have them as long as i inject. Another is oh not another hypo your control must be really bad cos your always having them- i may have 2/3 a week sometimes none again ive stopped justifying myself. But then low and behold they ask me for advice regarding diabetic patients! !! Unbelievable

Reactions: 9 people

B33

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
When I was diagnosed with type 1 my friend asked if it was cause I drank Diet Coke.....

Reactions: 2 people

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The answer to a lot of these, "you can't eat that" comments, I have found, is to look surprised and delighted and say, "Oh, and how long have you been in the Diabetes Police?" Usually gets a laught, they get the message, and I don't have to be mean. And I won.