Hello

Foxyshaz62

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
my daughter is 17 with type 1 diabetes plus loads of other stuff. I am not allowed to talk about this at work so this is my "me" time.

Love her too much, so need to be strong.

Reactions: 2 people

Gravity-Carb

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
I am so sorry your both going through this, please let your daughter know those "friends" are not indicative of the future. Right now they are ****. I know because in the small town I grew up in and my group of "friends" were very cliquey. Caused a lot of social anxiety and depression. When I moved away for the big smoke and eventually Uni I was able to see how some respectful ans self responsible adults behaved... it had a massive effect on my mental health. The fact your daughter has Type1 as well means this stress is not helping.

I really hope the children's services are taking all this inboard. Has she been referred to CAMHS ? If not really push for it as they "can" be helpful. My 15yr old godson has been with them for the last 8months and it's been a huge relief to his Mum and family as he has needed the support. My memories of adolescence was full of highs and lows but nowhere near some of the pressures some of our teenagers have now. You can also access services as well as her Mum, honestly during this time, take what you can...

For you take some time, do something relaxing - regular walks, yoga (honestly it works), swimming. Anything to burn off those stress hormones.

Maybe your daughter could join you? She might not want the swimming due to scarring, but yoga is cool...

Some other Type1's should be along soon, if not parents.

HTH

GC

Foxyshaz62

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
I am so sorry your both going through this, please let your daughter know those "friends" are not indicative of the future. Right now they are ****. I know because in the small town I grew up in and my group of "friends" were very cliquey. Caused a lot of social anxiety and depression. When I moved away for the big smoke and eventually Uni I was able to see how some respectful ans self responsible adults behaved... it had a massive effect on my mental health. The fact your daughter has Type1 as well means this stress is not helping.

I really hope the children's services are taking all this inboard. Has she been referred to CAMHS ? If not really push for it as they "can" be helpful. My 15yr old godson has been with them for the last 8months and it's been a huge relief to his Mum and family as he has needed the support. My memories of adolescence was full of highs and lows but nowhere near some of the pressures some of our teenagers have now. You can also access services as well as her Mum, honestly during this time, take what you can...

For you take some time, do something relaxing - regular walks, yoga (honestly it works), swimming. Anything to burn off those stress hormones.

Maybe your daughter could join you? She might not want the swimming due to scarring, but yoga is cool...

Some other Type1's should be along soon, if not parents.

HTH

GC
Oh thank you so much... That's really appreciated... Now I don't feel alone! I have been searching websites, and trying to get a grip on what or how she is feeling. Camps have been involved but keep closing on her when she doesn't engage but my view is that a young person needs more help when they don't engage! Don't u think.

I can only ask her to join this forum when she is in a good place mentally otherwise she "loses" it completely and that is a control thing.

Gotta go now as got work early tomorrow

Take care everyone .

Gravity-Carb

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes CAMHS is like any mental health team, so severely under funded, that if they can they will drop their clients. Sorry state of play as they will only get evolved when things get serious.
My Godson was admitted to hospital on a 30day section. Blinking scarey and heart breakin at the time, BUT he was able to get his world into perspective, we still have a long way to go but he's at college now doing a IT design course and I/we are SO proud of him. So no hun, your not alone... keep researching and fight for that support you all need.
GC

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
Oh thank you so much... That's really appreciated... Now I don't feel alone! I have been searching websites, and trying to get a grip on what or how she is feeling. Camps have been involved but keep closing on her when she doesn't engage but my view is that a young person needs more help when they don't engage! Don't u think.

I can only ask her to join this forum when she is in a good place mentally otherwise she "loses" it completely and that is a control thing.

Gotta go now as got work early tomorrow

Take care everyone .
Hello, and hugs.

My friend's daughter was involved with mental health services as a teenager and often did not engage with the therapy. At those times, the staff pulled away, because as they said, they can't be of help to her when she doesn't want the help. It's very hard. We so want the young person to ask for help and accept it, but often they don't want to, and this is often part of their illness.

I'm glad you have a place where you can talk about it. Please keep in touch.