Rice and Carbohydrates Consumption Linked to Diabetes

Bluenosesol

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Dark mornings, intolerance any one with a superiority complex...
Nothing that we in the lo-carb camp didnt already know. This report was published by the Indian Media but is a British based study, (British Journal of Nutrition) which reports clear links between rice consumption and diabetes and also carbohydrate intake generally.

http://www.thehindu.com/seta/2009/08/20 ... 751200.htm

Steve

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Hi Steve.

Do you have the full text of the original study ? I Read the article and it seems pretty vague to me like most Newspaper articles ? Bit light on facts.

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hmmm... Funny thing. I've found that rice doesn't hit me as hard as I thought it would (which I'm over the moon about!). Pasta, on the other hand - I might as well just take an intrevenous drip of Maple Syrup...

AliB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
On the odd occasion I do eat rice, I prefer the brown version - not only do I enjoy the 'nutty' taste and texture, but because it has a higher fibre content it doesn't spike my blood sugar like the white bleached processed stuff does! It is better nutritionally as well, and I'm all for that..........

I'm really getting into Biogenics too. Am in the process of soaking some chickpeas to sprout and turn into little powerhouses of nutrition and enzymes to snack on and add to my salads. Yum.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Yes. I did. Mind you it was a VERY small portion, no more than a third of a cup dry rice. It was also with a home made Chicken Rogan Josh. The whole meal only put my Bg levels up by around 2 points.
No spike either.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I'm not sure that wild rice is true rice. I think it's another grass
Hana

cugila

Master
Dislikes
acron^ said:
Hmmm I would have thought rice was a no-no for anyone low-carbing. Am I wrong?

It's not an advisable thing. However if you measure the quantity and check the carb content carefully it is manageable. I can also manage about 6 small oven chips without a problem.
Try it and see.

Bluenosesol

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Dark mornings, intolerance any one with a superiority complex...
cugila said:
Hi Steve.

Do you have the full text of the original study ? I Read the article and it seems pretty vague to me like most Newspaper articles ? Bit light on facts.

Ken,

I have had a look around and I cant find the source item :cry:

I know that there has been some publicity lately about the increase in T2 within Asian communities which tend to eat mainly rice for their staple diet.

Steve.