Tempted to buy some bottles of Mountain Dew and go sleep

Doc just says to loose weight

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, yes my GPs said that to me so very many times. Not one could tell me how to do it though. Do you have much weight to lose? I have lost some following a low carb diet, but still have a way to go yet.

Depression is fairly common with diabetes, so you're not alone. :)

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've just looked at some of your previous posts, you've had a rough time, no wonder you feel down.

(((((hugs)))))

Last edited by a moderator:

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
Having a bout of serious depression - dunno why I'm writing this

Tempted to buy some bottles of Mountain Dew and go sleep

Doc just says to loose weight
Not very helpful advice from your doctor there :(

I've had depression on and off for about 20 years and I know how hard it can be. Big hugs.

Are you able to see a different doctor? Really they should be spending some time talking with you about your feelings, and if you have depression, discussing whether medication and counselling can help. Depression is like diabetes, in that doctors should be doing their best to help the person manage it, and getting the best treatment to get it under control. Don't be afraid to speak up for yourself so you get the help you need. Is there a family member or friend who could help you do this?

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hypos
Hey I'm feeling better today I was really bad yesterday x I have a fair bit to loose but I'm not as bad as many I see. X

Was very worried yesterday I ended up locking myself in my bedroom as I didn't want to be near anything

Calmed down and had a bath - making an effort today x

Reactions: 11 people

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
Hey I'm feeling better today I was really bad yesterday x I have a fair bit to loose but I'm not as bad as many I see. X

Was very worried yesterday I ended up locking myself in my bedroom as I didn't want to be near anything

Calmed down and had a bath - making an effort today x
Glad you are feeling better :) x

Isolating yourself away is a symptom of depression. Sometimes we just need some "alone time". It's a way of looking after ourselves, I think.

Thanks for letting us know how you are doing x

Reactions: 2 people

Serena51

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
bigots, racists, homophobes
Just don't do what I did.... went to supermarket and bought biscuits, crisps and cake ! For the last week I had been so down that I just wanted to end it. If it wasn't for the responsibility of the dog I think it would have been od time.

I should have posted here and got some of our wonderful encouragement but the black pit was awfully deep. Due to my ME/CFS I have some powerful medicines in the house and it can be a temptation. I had not spoked to a human for days and just wondered what was the point. I know that the trigger was a neighbour commenting on my lack of mobility and that I was 'just sitting there waiting to die''.

Anyhow I had a horrendous night with bs up at 24.5 but this morning the sky is blue, sun is out, my bs is 11.6 and my little dog loves me. Okay, rant over, but I feel your pain - I think that I too will need some gp help. Do go yourself and be kind to yourself- all things will pass.

hugs
Jane

Reactions: 8 people

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Just don't do what I did.... went to supermarket and bought biscuits, crisps and cake ! For the last week I had been so down that I just wanted to end it. If it wasn't for the responsibility of the dog I think it would have been od time.

I should have posted here and got some of our wonderful encouragement but the black pit was awfully deep. Due to my ME/CFS I have some powerful medicines in the house and it can be a temptation. I had not spoked to a human for days and just wondered what was the point. I know that the trigger was a neighbour commenting on my lack of mobility and that I was 'just sitting there waiting to die''.

Anyhow I had a horrendous night with bs up at 24.5 but this morning the sky is blue, sun is out, my bs is 11.6 and my little dog loves me. Okay, rant over, but I feel your pain - I think that I too will need some gp help. Do go yourself and be kind to yourself- all things will pass.

hugs
Jane
Hugs. I know you're feeling better today and that's great, but maybe it's time to ask the GP to refer you to some services that can help? I live with chronic pain, fatigue and depression and I've really benefited from seeing a mental health nurse regularly when things were bad. I know access to services can vary a lot depending on where you live, though.

More hugs to you Jane and Rosanna. xx

Serena51

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Thanks. I will attempt to see my gp next week, although this now means queing on the 'phone for a conversation with gp the next day and then, maybe, a trip to the surgery to see gp in person. I love the NHS but sometimes it can be so frustrating.

Hope today is better for you too Rosanna.

Reactions: 4 people

Alzebra

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Wishing calm and peace to anyone suffering depression. I've had it on and off for over 20 years, starting when I lost my beloved Dad at the age of 20. I know how hard it is to ask for help when you basically feel worthless, so I'm very touched when I hear people speak up.
@RosannaPownall and @Serena51 I hope there are good days ahead for you, and please post on the bad days too. We're here for you (((hugs)))

Reactions: 12 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Has your doc checked you for Vit D deficiency? It is a major cause of depression, and largely ignored by doctors. Have a google, and you will see what i mean.

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Yes, everyone with depression should have blood tests to check thyroid, iron, vitamins B12 and D, magnesium, folic acid and maybe zinc. If all these levels are ok, then at least you know you're not trying to rake water uphill.

Serena51

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I take vit D in good amounts, in fact the last bloods taken showed 'an abnormally high vit ~D' said the gp.

I must start taking my multivitamins again as I am not sure on the other things. Trouble is that I'm on so many pills that just two more seems impossible. I will start looking after myself again.

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I take vit D in good amounts, in fact the last bloods taken showed 'an abnormally high vit ~D' said the gp.

I must start taking my multivitamins again as I am not sure on the other things. Trouble is that I'm on so many pills that just two more seems impossible. I will start looking after myself again.
Too much vitamin D can be a problem. If you take multivitamins, check the amount of Vit D in them, and it might pay to run the idea past your GP first. Overall, it's usually a better approach to get blood tests for particular vitamins and minerals and address those individually, as the amount you may need to take can differ from the components of multivitamins. Also, individual supplements may available for free on prescription, unlike multivitamins. If the UK is like NZ in this regard.

Serena51

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I take that on board catlady. I actually got to talk to the gp on the phone and then went to surgery for a face to face consultation - result, haven't seen him for six months. He was very kind and quite insistent that I go for some counselling. He has marked it as a priority and hope that I won't have to wait too long.

Thank you to everyone that took time to support me. I am quite an isolated person and I do really appreciate your help.

Reactions: 6 people

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
I take that on board catlady. I actually got to talk to the gp on the phone and then went to surgery for a face to face consultation - result, haven't seen him for six months. He was very kind and quite insistent that I go for some counselling. He has marked it as a priority and hope that I won't have to wait too long.

Thank you to everyone that took time to support me. I am quite an isolated person and I do really appreciate your help.
Nice too hear your on the up serena51, ((((( hugs)))))

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I liked this video. Just 3 minutes - but really high impact.

"This too shall pass" - really helped me. I always remember that. Also:

semicolon.jpg

http://www.projectsemicolon.org/

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Pasta, sorry to me it's vile, yeuch lol (and full of nasty carbs)
Diabetes and depression go hand in hand, there's a strong link between them. High BGs will obviously make you fatigued and unmotivated. Then actually managing diabetes correctly is a lot to start with, especially newly diagnosed. I was put on SSRIs 3 years ago (physical illness, surgery, high HbA1c and post op recovery). My DSN did a depression checklist and I scored very high for Clinical Depression and low on Anxiety. After a few weeks I started to feel better mentally and over the years my HbA1c dropped from 112 mmol/mol to 58 now. I have had my SSRI dose cut down incrementally from 20mg to 5mg now. In 2 months time I will be reduced to zero as I no longer feel I need them. I would say setting small achievable goals is a good idea, mine were losing weight, more exercise and a better diet reducing carbohydrates to a minimum. Good luck and good health!

Reactions: 6 people

smigger62

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not having food and beer
THINKER im depressed but if im honest don't know the signs .

Alzebra

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @smigger62 There are some self-assessment tools you can use to help you decide if this is something you should be discussing with a HCP.

http://www.nhs.uk/Tools/Pages/depression.aspx

Having said that, if you think you might be depressed, that's probably all the indication you need to talk to someone, but I know that the online quiz helped me to focus on my needs. All the best, x