How often to test?

Indiana91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all! Been AGES since I've been in here but I'm back and looking for some support :)
I've just found out I'm pregnant! Going to the doctors next week but have done multiple tests and all came back saying the same (yay!)
My bgs are running a little bit high at the minute.
Was wondering how often people test and correct whilst pregnant?
I'm T1 and on the pump.

sleepyheadzzz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'd say anywhere from 7-15 times a day depending on what's going on. At the start I was doing it hourly and my endo told me that was probably just going to stress me out and not be that helpful.

When things are going well:
1)If I wake up in the middle of the night I test
2)When I get up in the AM (I have to do my breakfast bolus 30 minutes before I eat while I'm pregnant - otherwise I go high)
3)1.5-2 hours after breakfast
4)Before lunch (12ish)
5)1.5-2 hours after lunch
6)Usually around late afternoon (3-4:30)
7)Before dinner (5-6ish)
8)1.5-2 hours after dinner
9)Around 9-10 as I'm getting ready for bed
10)Just as I'm actually going to sleep

If things aren't going well I'll be doing it a whole lot more to make sure my rates are correct and to make sure my correction doses are working properly.

Cloe-1992

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey ,

Massive congratulations on your pregnancy , I was advised by my diabetes team to test :

When I woke up , Before every meal , then 1 hour post meals , before bed .

I also tested whenever I thought I felt low or that I felt high . And would also check when I would wake up during the night .
I know some other people on the forum where told to test 2 hours after meals . So I think it depends on what your team advise and what you feel happy with testing yourself to see patterns to tweak and make adjustments .
As for correction , if I was slightly out of target at my 1 hour post meal I would wait untill 2 hours post if still slightly up correct , if I was quiet out of my targets at 1 hour post I would correct . I think along the way you will find out what will work for you and what won't, is hard to keep everything in check but is worth it all in the end .

Hope everything is going well .

x

Reactions: 6 people