High levels in the evening

chl0ejasmine

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all,

My levels keep being high when I do my evening blood sugar before bed - anything been 10-16. They aren't normally like this.

I have low carb dinners (meat and veg) and usually give 6 units for this but despite increasing to 8 I'm still going high.

I have come down with a cold/sore throat, are the rise in levels due to this or do I need to increase my lantus or perhaps does my lantus need splitting? I take lantus every evening (8 units).

Thank you!

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
A cold can definitely put your BS up. How long have they been high? If it's just a short time, it could easily be the cold.

Hope you feel better soon :)

chl0ejasmine

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
A cold can definitely put your BS up. How long have they been high? If it's just a short time, it could easily be the cold.

Hope you feel better soon :)
I'd say for the past 4-5 days?

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
That could be your cold. It depends how you react to viruses like that. For me, my blood sugar can be up for anything from 2 to 5 days depending on how Ill I feel with it, but it's normally only say 3 days.

Has anything else changed that could be causing the highs?

chl0ejasmine

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
That could be your cold. It depends how you react to viruses like that. For me, my blood sugar can be up for anything from 2 to 5 days depending on how Ill I feel with it, but it's normally only say 3 days.

Has anything else changed that could be causing the highs?
I'm quite an ill child and suffer from under active thyroid and chronic hives so my immune system does struggle so I hope it's just the cold and nothing else, I can't think of any changes

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
That sounds most likely then. But just keep an eye on it and see what happens in the next few days.

Colds are miserable. I hope you get rid of yours nice and quickly :)

chl0ejasmine

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
That sounds most likely then. But just keep an eye on it and see what happens in the next few days.

Colds are miserable. I hope you get rid of yours nice and quickly :)
What would you suggest if they don't come down? And thank you!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
When unwell you would expect to see your bg raised throughout the day rather than in one time frame like an evening, so it could be that your basal needs increased/split-dosed or your I:C ratio needs adjusting for your evening meal.

If it is the cold and you find your bg levels increasing overall then follow the Sick Day Rules:

http://www.mydiabetesmyway.scot.nhs.uk/resources/leaflets/SickDayRulesForType1Flow.asp

Hope your feeling better soon and your levels return to normal.

chl0ejasmine

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
When unwell you would expect to see your bg raised throughout the day rather than in one time frame like an evening, so it could be that your basal needs increased/split-dosed or your I:C ratio needs adjusting for your evening meal.

If it is the cold and you find your bg levels increasing overall then follow the Sick Day Rules:

http://www.mydiabetesmyway.scot.nhs.uk/resources/leaflets/SickDayRulesForType1Flow.asp

Hope your feeling better soon and your levels return to normal.
I've been having to give more at breakfast and lunch too, I probably should have mentioned that so my apologies but for some reason those doses have been working a bit better.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I've been having to give more at breakfast and lunch too, I probably should have mentioned that so my apologies but for some reason those doses have been working a bit better.

Likely is the cold then, just keep the link to the Sick Day Rules handy for future reference, although if you ever do the DAFNE course this will be taught on the course and in the Handbook there's an explanation about the rules.