Test meters

Gary Fowler

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
My Doctors originally supplied with a Optimum Exceed test meter, about 7years ago, it's OK, and I can save my results to my computer, The practice diabetic nurse has been pushing for me to have a new meter, after answering a survey on diabetes. co. uk I was supplied a One Touch Verio IQ.

The unit is OK, but do not like the lances or test strips
Lances are too fiddly (small) and have difficulty removing lances from tool, having to use pliers, placing the safety cap on at 90 degrees prevents them from being placed in sharps box, again having to dismantle and use pliers to place in sharps box
Test straps are packed in a small tub, not individually packed, there for when trying to get one out either several come out together or if they are stuck together then you need to separate them, both occasions causing contamination & false reading.

I went to see my diabetes practice nurse who told me not to use this meter as she could not guarantee that it had been correctly calibrated , and to use a meter that she would provide.

She provided a One Touch Verio, which uses the same lances & test straps, this machine is bulkier than the One Touch Verio IQ, and the test straps go deeper into the machine, I am unable to get blood into the test strip from the side of my finger as my fingers are too large, the only way is to draw blood, place onto end of a sterilised surface then place against test strip, the user guide shows drawing blood from the end of the finger, but because I have Polyneuropathy I was told by the Diabetic Doctor not to use the finger end as this could worsen my situation (lack of feeling in finger ends)

When are manufacturers going to produce meters that are functional and ergonomic, the Optimum is more practical, (easy to use lances, individually wrapped test straps) , but the information of the IQ is better.

And while on the subject how about a case that would allow you to carry your test meter, lances, needles and insulin, you can get some limited cases but not one for everything, especially on marked as treatment for Diabetes.
Rant over, test machine makers please consider the above.

NotSoSweet2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Rudeness, tv soaps.
My Doctors originally supplied with a Optimum Exceed test meter, about 7years ago, it's OK, and I can save my results to my computer, The practice diabetic nurse has been pushing for me to have a new meter, after answering a survey on diabetes. co. uk I was supplied a One Touch Verio IQ.

The unit is OK, but do not like the lances or test strips
Lances are too fiddly (small) and have difficulty removing lances from tool, having to use pliers, placing the safety cap on at 90 degrees prevents them from being placed in sharps box, again having to dismantle and use pliers to place in sharps box
Test straps are packed in a small tub, not individually packed, there for when trying to get one out either several come out together or if they are stuck together then you need to separate them, both occasions causing contamination & false reading.

I went to see my diabetes practice nurse who told me not to use this meter as she could not guarantee that it had been correctly calibrated , and to use a meter that she would provide.

She provided a One Touch Verio, which uses the same lances & test straps, this machine is bulkier than the One Touch Verio IQ, and the test straps go deeper into the machine, I am unable to get blood into the test strip from the side of my finger as my fingers are too large, the only way is to draw blood, place onto end of a sterilised surface then place against test strip, the user guide shows drawing blood from the end of the finger, but because I have Polyneuropathy I was told by the Diabetic Doctor not to use the finger end as this could worsen my situation (lack of feeling in finger ends)

When are manufacturers going to produce meters that are functional and ergonomic, the Optimum is more practical, (easy to use lances, individually wrapped test straps) , but the information of the IQ is better.

And while on the subject how about a case that would allow you to carry your test meter, lances, needles and insulin, you can get some limited cases but not one for everything, especially on marked as treatment for Diabetes.
Rant over, test machine makers please consider the above.
Yes some are quite fiddly, anyone know what the easier, simplest meters are out there? I don't want to spend time fiddling around, surely there must be one or more meters that you can just prick and go (no pun intended).

Gary Fowler

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
My current test machine is optimum exceed, made by abbottdiabetescare.co.uk, check out the website, this machine has easy to use lances and test strips where the sample is placed on the end rather than halfway along the side, easier when sample is taken on side of finger, hope this helps you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

Blackers183

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Commercial television
Hi Gary
I have used my Optium Xceed for about 5 years mainly as that's what they use in hospitals and as it tests BGL as well as ketones, very handy if needed. I've been given and tried other meters but always go back to the Optium for ease of use and functionality. Abbott have updated this and is called the Freestyle Optium, I thank that they also provide/sell control test solutions. Tell your support team what YOU want.
Cheers
David

Gary Fowler

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks Dave it is the FreeStyle Optium exceed that I have, unfortunately it is obsolete, I have just git test solutions, but my practice nurse wants me to upgrade, Abbot have a new machine which uses same lances & strips, called Neo, I have ordered one, when it comes we will see how it goes. Gary

NotSoSweet2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Rudeness, tv soaps.
My current test machine is optimum exceed, made by abbottdiabetescare.co.uk, check out the website, this machine has easy to use lances and test strips where the sample is placed on the end rather than halfway along the side, easier when sample is taken on side of finger, hope this helps you.
Thank you I will check that that out! Much appreciated.

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
ask for an accu-chek mobile, no strips and no lancets would probably suit your needs

Gary Fowler

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for the info Gaz-M, Abbot are sending me a new machine, have tested my opium xceed and it is still within specification, the new machine will use the same lances & strips,
The machine you mentioned sounds interesting, if I cannot get on with the Abbot, I may look into your suggestion, thanks.

NotSoSweet2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Rudeness, tv soaps.
I am giving the Verio one touch colour coded meter at the moment free via diabetic forum (thank you). No problems so far and I like the simplicity of it so keep up updated.

Out of interest how many different meters are out there?