Diet Advice

suzywoozie

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
Hi all,

I was recently told by my GP that I have pre-diabetes, so I am trying to work out which things I should eat, and which I shouldn't. Yesterday my blood sugar was 6.1 before dinner, then 2 hours afterwards had gone up to 9.1. Quite a big jump, but I thought I understood why, because I had weakened and had some chocolate buttons. However today, it was 5.7 before dinner (I hadn't eaten since 12.45) - I had what I thought was a nice healthy stir fry for dinner - chicken, lots of veg, very small amount of noodles - nothing else - and 2 hours later it had gone up to 9.7. I thought my dinner was healthy - where did I go wrong?!

Redsnapper

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Suzy, everyone is different and can tolerate more or less of different foods.Firstly a good positive step to be testing as you are,it is the only way to have control.I do not have a sweet tooth but since changing my diet I have felt the need for something sweet now and then.85% dark chocolate in small amounts helps me?Maybe noodles have too much carbohydrate for you or similarly the veggies you had as some have more than others.But it seems that sometimes for no apparent reason,blood sugar can spike.Check out recipe ideas or what have you eaten today threads for inspiration
The important thing is you are on it! Move on to the next meal and see how you go

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Likely to be the chocolate buttons yes but also the noodles and any stir fry sauces. Both of these can vary a lot carb-wise. You can either try the lowest carb noodles and sauces you can find, or try shirataki/konjac noodles.. Some of the veg might be carby, but if you're only putting tiny slivers in then the carrots should have been OK. Bean sprouts are only 2.1g carbs per 100g. Sweetcorn, babycorn and peas are other possible culprits.

suzywoozie

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
Thank you Redsnapper and Celeriac (nice foodie names!), very helpful comments. I do love pasta and noodles, gonna need to watch them I think! I've been eating tons of veg thinking they are really healthy. I don't use any stir fry sauces except for soy, is that a baddie?

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
Thank you Redsnapper and Celeriac (nice foodie names!), very helpful comments. I do love pasta and noodles, gonna need to watch them I think! I've been eating tons of veg thinking they are really healthy. I don't use any stir fry sauces except for soy, is that a baddie?
1 tablespoon of soy sauce has less than 1g of carbs, so I think it would be ok, unless you are allergic to the gluten in it.

Reactions: 2 people

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Thanks :) Veggies are healthy, but whether you can eat starchy root veg or very sweet corn, depends on your blood glucose.

My husband has Non Coeliac Gluten Syndrome so we use Kikkoman gluten free soy sauce. Just soya beans, rice, water, salt and alcohol. Naturally brewed, additive free and 1g carbs per tablespoon. Marks and Spencer and Sainsbury's have it.

Reactions: 2 people
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You need to take lowest carb diet, veggies, sprouts would be the best diet.
Noodles have too much carbohydrate, you should not take.