Hi blood result

woodstar65

Hi I got my Hba1c results today and it was high 13.8. I know they were going to be high as my bloods are mid 20 when I test. When they go in the mid teens I feel terrible. I'm also worried that I will bloat out again if I get my bloods under control. Really in a bad place at the mo.
I know what most people are going to say. Get your bloods under control. If it was that easy I would. As I feel healthier now than I have in years. I'm not getting ill as much. It's very much a mental thing as well as physical.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi there - what's stopping you from getting better control is it weight gain ? High blood glucose readings and low moods go hand in hand, better control would help massively ;)

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If you put on weight when you're well controlled, you must be eating too many calories.

If you're on MDI it is easy to cut down on carbs and not put on so much weight.

Have you asked your clinic for help? If this is all affecting your state of mind, they will be able to do something about it.

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Unfortunately, by running your bloods high for a prolonged period of time your body will sort of get used to this, but, will not prevent damage being caused. So, when they do start to reduce you may get a false hypo sensation and feel terrible while your body adjusts back to normal levels. Once you have normal levels for a few weeks, hopefully things will reverse for you and you will notice when high. Persevere with lower levels and feeling like **** for a short period of time, rather than feeling well with higher levels and getting permanent complications forever.

Reactions: 2 people

TooMuchGlucose

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Is the 13.8 a percentage? If so you can get your levels down I was 151 IFCC or 16 DCCT% at diagnosis I managed to get this down to 67 within four months. I did some moderate exercise but mostly rigorous carb-counting and testing. You can do it too with the help of people on this forum and making sure you follow a good structure.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Is it just a mental reluctance to get your blood sugar down or is it the 'hypos' you feel when your sugars are in the teens?

Or are you finding control hard?

woodstar65

I'd say both. I don't like the hypo feeling. But I don't want to gain all the weight again. As I could never loose it. It was a doctor who told me that the long lasting insulin was what was making me put all the weight on. Now I'm finding it difficult mentally to even take any mess.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
I struggle with any professional advice given as generally most of it is unfounded, your basal is vital insulin as it regulates all your body's function, this is essential. If you are concerned about weight gain then reduce the carbs in your diet and so in turn your quick acting shots will reduce, running high is leading your body into a false economy with losing weight as once you regulate your insulin control and bring your body back into a 'normal' range then there will be some weight gain.

In time you can lose this, exercise more and reduce carbs and your will burn body fat, run high with uncontrolled glucose levels and your body will burn fat from your vital organs which causes damage, I know which option I prefer...

I low carb and ride a road bike twice a week, I have gained weight but am prepared to take time to lose it, in the meantime I am happy with better bg control as my moods are generally a lot better, weight is immaterial it's health that needs to be sustained so overlook this and you will have a good long healthy life ;)

Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
@woodstar65, can I ask if your under the care of a hospital diabetes clinic?

Sweepp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi there,
I understand where you are coming from, I have s problem with my basal insulin too. I have discovered that by excercising regularly has reduced my basal insulin by a huge amount which should promote weight loss. Hope this helps.

Reactions: 4 people

chl0ejasmine

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Hiya,

I went through a stage of having high levels for about 6 months because I wouldn't stop eating tons of carbs. I'd go for lunch at school with friends and buy big packets of cookies and eat share bags of chocolate to myself. Getting tighter control did not make me gain weight. I reduced the carbs and kept on testing and I actually lost over a stone and now need to gain a few pounds back! Getting your levels normal with not always make you gain weight, you just need to keep on testing and reduce those carbs. I'm a girl who has severe mental difficulties with the concept of gaining weight but the one thing I keep on repeating is "Do I want to gain a bit of weight or have damaged eyesight when I'm older?" "Do I want to gain some weight or do I want to lose a limb?" "Do I want a bit of weight gain or kidney failure" it's horrible to say but that's the reality of it.

You can do this.

Reactions: 4 people

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
I'd say both. I don't like the hypo feeling. But I don't want to gain all the weight again. As I could never loose it. It was a doctor who told me that the long lasting insulin was what was making me put all the weight on. Now I'm finding it difficult mentally to even take any mess.
I think it's unfortunate that the doctor said that, because it's not true and it's potentially damaging advice to give someone in your situation. As others have said, you do not need to gain weight on insulin if you eat low carb, which is a great way to eat: it can be really tasty and satisfying, and it means you use lower doses of insulin and there is less chance of dosing errors. (I am not speaking from personal experience but from what I have read on the forums). Have you been on a DAFNE or other carb counting course? Do you believe that insulin causes weight gain?