URGENT-Refused Insulin

amj789

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi have you thought about ringing 111 and explaining your predicament? Or calling in at a drop in centre and explaining the problem you have. They should be able to access your medical records and see that you are I salon dependant. 111 usually take all your details and then pass the information to a doctor who calls you back the NHS doctor can even call your old practice for you. Hope you get it sorted soon you must be really stressed out which is going to impact on your health.

I was ready to try anything-but my daughter got it sorted for me today :) Thanks

amj789

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Personally I would turn up in person, thump the receptionist and find another practice. If the receptionist is that stupid about critical conditions, what can you expect going forward. They should at least have offered an emergency appointment (as is standard in other practices I have used when forgetting insulin).
Yep-I really do wish GP reception staff did not consider themselves a special breed far higher than us mere patients....!!

Reactions: 2 people

Frank M

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
High and low blood sugar levels.
If a member of the reception staff or practice admin staff did not pass your request for insulin on to a GP they are grossly negligent, as they are not registered medical practitioners or registered nurses they are in no position to make that judgement. If the request was refused by a GP who is a registered medical practitioner I would consider this a case for investigation by the General Medical Council who are the registration body for all doctors and surgeons practising in the UK. Deliberately leaving a patient without essential medication is not only negligent but could also be considered a criminal act. Once you are under the care of your new practice you could consider taking the matter up with the General Medical Council.

Reactions: 4 people

SimonJohannes

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Dislike not being able to eat food I like because of diabetes complications
Hi-I had made a total of 3 (valid and non abusive) complaints to my GP surgery this year-none of which they responded to. Then I had appointment on Monday-during which I was angrily ordered to leave the practice because of the complaints and because I had asked on a local Facebook page for recommendations for a new GP. It was shocking after being there since 2007 (previously zero complaints made in all that time).
The new practice I registered with said I have to get at least a months supply of all meds before they can prescribe for me...but my old surgery are behaving very poorly- ignoring my requests for Insulin for over a week now. I am going to run out and do not know what to do? Is there any other source I can be prescribed Insulin from. Desperate here-hope someone can help
Thanks

UPDATE-I have insulin again!!! My daughter was so furious-she rang the Practice Manager and asked if a preventable death would be good media for them....next thing..there is a prescription for me...
What a shame both surgeries didn't seem to care....

In Canada they understand Insulin is life or death. You can go to any walk-in clinic and get a script. You can even buy it over the counter at a drug store with needles. Wow I am shocked you couldn't get you life saving meds easier.
All the best hope you get this taken care of permanently.

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
In Canada they understand Insulin is life or death. You can go to any walk-in clinic and get a script. You can even buy it over the counter at a drug store with needles. Wow I am shocked you couldn't get you life saving meds easier.
All the best hope you get this taken care of permanently.
Are you sure about being able to buy it over the counter? That's potentially dangerous because insulin can be misused. When I had a diabetic cat and had to buy needles, I found I could only get them on prescription here.

foxhaven19

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Just because someone has a medical degree doesn't mean that they are not a pillock. Just mentioning the BMA complaints procedure usually gets very quick results.

Xan2cv

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Liars, nose pickers and eaters especially in public view, sweaty arm pits, smelly feet, DVT's and PE's they hurt a lot. High Sugars.
Can't believe that no-body has mentioned you can get emergency vials of insulin from your
usual chemist they will sub you some if push gets to shove waiting for an appointment at the new surgery.
They usually keep an extra box or two of each type of insulin just in case somebody needs some. I had similar probs with my
old surgery who put me on a different insulin I reacted badly to it and they wouldn't change me back to the old insulin Then they wrote to me and said they couldn't treat me and asked me to leave leaving me on the wrong insulin that was creating large sore red bumps on the surface of my skin when I injected it.

so I changed doctors and the Diabetic Nurse I see now is the best Ive ever had in the 6-7 years ive been on insulin smashing lady she listens to what I think instead of insisting that it is done their way and getting it wrong. if your having problems use the NHS website and check out the doctors in your area or out of your area for patient numbers my old surgery had 22300 patients and no time for anyone and a lot of complaints, my new surgery has about 1500 patients they are polite nice to talk to and above all compassionate people, fantastic. No one should have to put up with stroppy over worked arrogant nosey receptionists that have the cheek to ask you why you want to see a GP. I am back on my o0ld insulin and have pretty decent control, if I had this doctors ten years ago I think I probably would not have developed Cataracts and have to go through surgery on my eyes, I might have even still had my 20/20 vision, I feel very let down by the NHS.

Last edited by a moderator:

drakman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
racism, bigotry and fashion
Have you considered the Hospital Diabetic teamfor help, they have a system to deal with cases where a patient is between Doctors and needs their help or medication

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Remember that you can always get insulin if you need it. Even if it means telephoning whichever of your GP practices out of hours. You will be connected to an emergency doctor who will have to sort your no-insulin problem double-quick.

Reactions: 2 people