high potassium

autoimmune chrissy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi folks iv just had a call from gps iv got high potassium levels,has any one else had this im worried

sally and james

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
As CatherineCherub's link says, if the sample is disturbed or mis-handled in any way it can result in an over high reading. My husband had a sudden high reading, which the doctor took one look at and said it was almost certainly wrong and to ignore it. A fresh sample was taken and this came out as normal. I think this is all too common, so don't worry, until there is something to worry about - which, on this occasion, there probably isn't.
Sally

HaileyCropper

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had a high reading a while back - seems it was because I'd eaten a banana every day.....? I took another test a week or so later and it was fine

LondonAndy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Marmite
I had a high reading once or twice, and it was mostly medication related (a heart medication, Spironolactone, dose was reduced), but nurse said a false reading can be obtained if the needle comes into contact with sides of the vein (or something like that) during the blood draw. I am difficult to bleed, and so they were very careful when taking the next sample and that was fine. I now avoid bananas and don't drink much coffee, in fact generally following a moderately low potassium diet.

Patricia21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Animal crualty
I had high potassium a few months ago,the seconed test was better but still a bit high,I havent a clue what that means I was not given advice and had no more tests,It was only found through another test,I had acute pancreatitis at the time due to gallstones.