Curious! How and what do you all take to treat your hypos?

alisonhe

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi I am just curious to how and what we all take to treat our hypos?
When I first became Type 1 Diabetic in 1993 I was told to have a glass of milk and eat 2 Digestive biscuits.
For the past 14 years though I have 15ml of Lucozade and Alpen Bars. I then wait 10 to 15mins and check my blood sugar again.
Lucozade for the instant sugar and Alpen Bars because they are made of oats and oats are a slow release carbohydrate, so less likely my blood sugar will drop again.
How about you?

I take dextrose, also carry 9seed bars which I love, there is a carob coated one which is 13g carb, high protein so if I know I will need more energy i.e. I am cycling home - I may have a bar as well.

Reactions: 2 people

michelejane

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
reality/celebrity tv, sport
Hi I am just curious to how and what we all take to treat our hypos?
When I first became Type 1 Diabetic in 1993 I was told to have a glass of milk and eat 2 Digestive biscuits.
For the past 14 years though I have 15ml of Lucozade and Alpen Bars. I then wait 10 to 15mins and check my blood sugar again.
Lucozade for the instant sugar and Alpen Bars because they are made of oats and oats are a slow release carbohydrate, so less likely my blood sugar will drop again.
How about you?
Hi,
I eat gluten-free jelly babies if I am out and feel myself going low, or if I have immediate access to a mini carton of fruit juice that works best. If I hypo during the night I find chocolate alpro soya milk is more comforting! Yet, if I get REALLY low during the evening, I may follow up juice with a wispa bar or a twirl bar, just to make sure.
Michelejane

jgordon5

If I catch it before I'm through the floor, dates and/or a cocoa Nakd bar (raw fruit and nuts). If it's too low I drink some Galvanina organic lemon drink. Basically I try to avoid sugar cane or derivatives unless desperate! It makes me feel really sick. That's what comes from a diet with no added sugar...if you have to eat it, it feels really extreme! . ;)