If I can beat T2 you can too!

Rod Brown

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A male born 1942, I self diagnosed with type two diabetes which was confirmed by my GP group practice. I was given kindly generalised advice to lose weight using NHS printed dietary material, (now seen as unhelpful at the least), as support. Time passed and, as it does, the medication inexorably increased in number and strength until some three years ago my legs started to "tingle". Spurred into action, (frightened in truth), I read up on the web, and by chance and good fortune, found "Reverse Diabetes Diet" by DR. Neal Barnard*. I had some misgivings at first as the jacket looked like the "Pass your Driving Test in Three Days" paper back cover and just as likely. But hey, it was inexpensive on Kindle; the Gods smiled on me and I clicked on "Buy".
In essence Dr. Barnard (backed by seemingly endless learned papers plus his own blind trials and extensive caseload), offered in terms I could grasp, a rational, trialled hypothesis for the underlying mechanism of Insulin Resistance. The upshot was just as challenging - a no holds barred Vegan diet. The result speaks for itself. My weight fell from 104.7 kilos to 77 Kilos in twelve months and at the same time all my stats steadied and have remained well in the normal range for the past eighteen months. Result! I feel fine. But there is no free lunch.
It is not easy, especially at first, to follow a strict Vegan diet. However, the palate does completely change over three to four weeks which came as a welcome surprise. But, (and there is always a but), finding recipies, cooking them at the same time as standard fare whilst resisting the siren call of the sight and smell of former mouthwatering dishes is not easy.
Committed, tolerant and flexible family backing is a must. But then after a while, other family members, surprise surprise, change their eating preferences and things get easier and easier. If an old codger like me can not only do it but also enjoy a new food regime, (which after all, is standard fare for two thirds of the world's population), you can too, and it sure beats the heck out of serious hospitalisation leading to an early exit. Go on, make the effort and win the game of life.
* I have no connection with the Author, his publisher or Kindle and derive no monetary gain from bringing this title to your attention.

Reactions: 5 people

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Welcome. Great job. Inspiration to all.
I do agree a supportive family makes things a lot easier, for me anyway.

Rod Brown

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Kind Sir,
What I got from Dr.Barnard is as follows. Muscle cells have surface receptors designed for insulin molecules. When a receptor acquires an insulin molecule, (and here I am in schematic mode to say the least), it sends a "signal" to what I found it convenient for me to liken to the stomata on the underside of a leaf, (O Level general science - which speaks volumes about my venerable years). In similar fashion to the leaf "stomata" cell (which is normally closed to maintain the cell wall integrity), then opens up to permit oxygen & sugar to enter the cell. However one of the many bad results of excess animal fats is to increase drastically the very small number of fat "globules" normally present floating free in our muscle cells which are there to provide energy in emergencies. In similar fashion to the ivy leaves covering my gate control box block my key fob signal to my gate controls; the excessive fat globules block the insulin receptor signals which do not therefore reach the "stomata" cells. Because these are in a "normally closed" condition they then fail to open. Hence the sugar is not taken up from the blood stream resulting "logically" in more insulin being called for & round and round it goes. Overcoming Insulin resistance would seem to be the key to ending T2. Your success with your food choices would seem also to accord with this hypothesis. Anyway, may we, & all others who take note, continue to keep T2 at bay.

Reactions: 2 people

mogzilian

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A male born 1942, I self diagnosed with type two diabetes which was confirmed by my GP group practice. I was given kindly generalised advice to lose weight using NHS printed dietary material, (now seen as unhelpful at the least), as support. Time passed and, as it does, the medication inexorably increased in number and strength until some three years ago my legs started to "tingle". Spurred into action, (frightened in truth), I read up on the web, and by chance and good fortune, found "Reverse Diabetes Diet" by DR. Neal Barnard*. I had some misgivings at first as the jacket looked like the "Pass your Driving Test in Three Days" paper back cover and just as likely. But hey, it was inexpensive on Kindle; the Gods smiled on me and I clicked on "Buy".
In essence Dr. Barnard (backed by seemingly endless learned papers plus his own blind trials and extensive caseload), offered in terms I could grasp, a rational, trialled hypothesis for the underlying mechanism of Insulin Resistance. The upshot was just as challenging - a no holds barred Vegan diet. The result speaks for itself. My weight fell from 104.7 kilos to 77 Kilos in twelve months and at the same time all my stats steadied and have remained well in the normal range for the past eighteen months. Result! I feel fine. But there is no free lunch.
It is not easy, especially at first, to follow a strict Vegan diet. However, the palate does completely change over three to four weeks which came as a welcome surprise. But, (and there is always a but), finding recipies, cooking them at the same time as standard fare whilst resisting the siren call of the sight and smell of former mouthwatering dishes is not easy.
Committed, tolerant and flexible family backing is a must. But then after a while, other family members, surprise surprise, change their eating preferences and things get easier and easier. If an old codger like me can not only do it but also enjoy a new food regime, (which after all, is standard fare for two thirds of the world's population), you can too, and it sure beats the heck out of serious hospitalisation leading to an early exit. Go on, make the effort and win the game of life.
* I have no connection with the Author, his publisher or Kindle and derive no monetary gain from bringing this title to your attention.

Hi Rod,
That is truly inspiring. I've read about that book on the forum before... just off to Amazon now! Thanks!

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes

There are quite a few vegan and vegetarian posters on here, alas I could and never would be one of them.
I have a condition were I have to get my energy from my body other than what food provides.
So a vegan or vegetarian would not give me what I need.
To be healthy, I need animal meats and fats.
I love a salad, but the amount of cooked not processed meat is important.
Full fat is important to my lifestyle.
Like yourself I have lost quite a lot of weight, because of my lifestyle, from nearly 17stone to now under 12 stone. There are many ways of doing this, but I have at last I found one that makes me well.
I'm happy you've beaten T2.
I will have this condition for the rest of my life, I do not have a choice unless my pancreas gives up and I become diabetic!

Reactions: 2 people

gillytee31

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Although I congratulate you, it is not true that because you have beaten diabetes everybody can. There are many different causes of diabetes Type 2 not just diet. Some are connected with medication - I am permanently on steroids for an eye condition and cannot come off them unless I intend to go blind and I also have several other medical conditions which make exercise impossible. Both of those things make is exceedingly difficult to "reverse" diabetes. I am just pleased that I have been able to manage my diabetes and keep my blood glucose levels steady with a low carbohydrate diet but even so I have been on insulin since February and doubt that I will ever be able to come off it. Or is there someone out there who is on steroids, and unable to exercise and still managed to come off insulin.