How do you identify yourself as diabetic in an emergency?

Rob2006Scott

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was wondering how best to let people know that I'm diabetic should something happen? I have my insulin passport cards in my wallet but that's all.

I've seen the medical alert "jewellery" for sale but it's not really my style, sorry. It's not that I make a secret about being diabetic but I don't really want to wear a badge to declare it to the world. I think I'm still a bit self conscious where strangers are concerned.

This info could be life saving, any suggestions?

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
I was wondering how best to let people know that I'm diabetic should something happen? I have my insulin passport cards in my wallet but that's all.

I've seen the medical alert "jewellery" for sale but it's not really my style, sorry. It's not that I make a secret about being diabetic but I don't really want to wear a badge to declare it to the world. I think I'm still a bit self conscious where strangers are concerned.

This info could be life saving, any suggestions?
I've seen people wear the tag on a necklace under clothing. Another option is a tattoo. Or a rubber wristband.

Reactions: 2 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi, I have a necklace with red letter writing to say, I have diabetes and to test my blood first before giving medication. I also have diabetes cards in my bag and purse( type 1) and on my mobile phone I have two contacts who have the letters ICE by their name ( IN Case of Emergency).

Reactions: 4 people

Lou73

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I have an iPhone, which has a medical ID which can be accessed when locked. It has details of all my medical conditions and medication. I also have silicone wristbands which show that I'm Type 2 and use insulin.

Reactions: 3 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
What Type 1ID cards do you have Robin?

I have uploaded the cards at last, I had some problems, sorry.
Cards,
I HAVE DIABETES
please test my blood sugar before treating me - Diabetes Research Wellness

I am a member of the InDependent Diabetes Trust with contact details of IDDT, on the back - If I'm found unconscious or disorientated PLEASE CALL AN AMBULANCE ON 999

EMERGENCY INFORMATION
I HAVE DIABETES and take Insulin
If I am ill or fainting please give me some sugar - 2 teaspoons either in water or as lumps
If I am carrying dextrose tablets give me 3
If I am unconscious call a doctor or an ambulance immediately

Sorry, my mistake, It's not type 1 cards any more, it's Insulin dependent and write your personal details on the back of the card.
I hope it's of help to you.

Attachments

• 1442114267076.jpg
    1442114267076.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 241
  • 1442114203796.jpg
    1442114203796.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 240
  • 1442114242373.jpg
    1442114242373.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 234

Lou73

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I have also just been given an insulin passport by the nurse in my GP surgery which I can keep in my purse. There's space for you to put what insulin you use - and what you use to treat a hypo.

LondonAndy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Marmite
A female friend of mine (not diabetic - it was a different medical condition) collapsed and was unconscious in a Supermarket. She had medical ID in her purse, which was in her handbag, but this was not looked for by the paramedics (or anyone else), even when she got to hospital.

Personally I think having some kind of indicator about your person is most likely to be seen, and some research in the US I have seen on a heart condition website suggests that around the wrist is most effective (which makes sense: they are likely to want to check your pulse), and as I have several medical conditions I use the MedicAlert stuff.

Bagpuss Lives!

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If you're not into jewellery then MedicAlert have a load of options including wristbands- sports style, watches etc. Google MedicAlert Foundation.
There is also the choice of having a tat done saying your diagnosis, any allergies, whatever. Just check with your GP / DSN that you're ok having tats done.
Some people carry a wallet-sized card with them which says they're diabetic.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My husband is on Warfarin and has a pace maker so he wears an SOS necklace with all of the necessary information written inside it. He also carries cards with information about his pace maker, Warfarin and aortic valve replacement.

Reactions: 6 people

Rob2006Scott

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks everyone, some great suggestions and advice here. Bit more research for me now, but I think I'll be sorted soon.I'll let you know.

Rob2006Scott

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just a quick update. I've gone for a Medic Alert wrist band (see pic) with a card for my wallet and a 12 month subscription to 24hr phone information. It's piece of mind for my family when I'm out and about. Thanks again for all the advice.

ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1443277075.904118.jpg