Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Just curious, how long has everyone had type 1?

It will be 28 years this December, I remember going into hospital christmas week, being promised I would be out for christmas. I came home 6.30 pm christmas eve, seem to remember it was my worst christmas ever! :cry:

Nigel

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
My T1 husband developed it in his late 20s about 35 years ago.

scottishkate

Diagnosed 9th December 1991 aged nine.

Consultant told me I'd be cured by the time I was 21 ( that was 7 years ago) hmmm...

:roll:

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
gillkin

41 years is a long time, and I suppose you will struggle to remember life before diabetes.

Scottishlake

I too was told they would properly be a cure before I was much older; this was by my late father who tried to console me on christmas eve after coming home from hospital. Think he meant well, and was just trying to give me hope that it would not always be like this. 28 years later......

Nigel

Jen&Khaleb

Dislikes
Not having enough time. Broken sleep.
Khaleb has been diabetic for 2 years. Diagnosed at 8 months of age. He doesn't know any other life.

Jen.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Jen & Khaleb

8 months of age is really young, I do hope that you and Khaleb are keeping well and coping with things.

Best wishes

Nigel

gillkin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I can't remember life before Diabetes and I think I'm quite lucky because of that, I don't have any "I remember what it used to be like before" moments. I think anybody who gets .it as a young child will feel like that

Celtic.Piskie

Dislikes
Whole-wheat past and rice, tastes horrible. Cats, spiders, and people who think nick jonas is a musician.
I was diagnosed when i was 9 on holiday, now i'm 24.

It bothered me, but not as much as others. I'd been friends with a girl that had CF since i was a baby. At that time, two injections a day and not being able to eat somethings didn't really seem as bad as she had.

No signs of any complications, hba1c is good, and diet is pretty much normal. Candy bar occasionally when i want one, taken care of. Usually fruit desert, but chocolate mousse creepy in about once a fortnight.

I enjoy my food, and my life. Which is the most important thing. You only get one life, so get as much fun out of it as you can.

WhimsicalWays

I was diagnosed on my 12th birthday, 15 years ago... All my best wishes and admiration to those diagnosed younger (and to their supportive families), as I can imagine how challenging that is.

Jen&Khaleb

Dislikes
Not having enough time. Broken sleep.
Nigel

I don't think I have it any harder than the next parent when it comes to diabetes. Little kids are just hard work. They shoot up and crash down just because of their small body mass. Khaleb has had a couple of stays in hospital when he is sick as it is too risky to control at home but we haven't had any nasty episodes other than at his diagnosis (blood sugar was 86).

Interesting to see all the ages. Would of been good if you had also asked if anyone thought they knew what may of triggered diabetes.

Khaleb had been to his first playgroup the week before and would of had his 6 month vaccination 2 months prior to diagnosis. He was pre-disposed because of having Down syndrome but what triggered it so young .... Who knows?

Jen

suzi

Dislikes
people who are rude and ignorant, and people who have no patience in queues.
T1 son diagnosed on 2/2/06 at the age of 7yrs and 3mths and Coeliac Disease on 9/2/07.
Suzi x

yipster29

Diagnosed T1 5 months ago aged 34, expected to have been triggered by a virus.

It may come with it's difficulties but it does put life back in to some perspective when diagnosed and does make me appreciate things much more than before, as well as keeping me healthier!

Jen... great little pic of Khaleb!! what a little smasher :)

PlymouthDave

Nearly 3 years for me so I am still quite the beginner!!

I was diagnosed in Dec 2006 aged 47. I had just left the Royal Navy in the September after 26 years service so just missed out on a Medical Pension which would have been more than my standard service pension. DOH!!!!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Looking at the replies to the post, I think we all have a story to tell.

Diabetes at any age is a earth shattering experience, and one that no one forgets, but being diagnosed in infancy or as a child must be the worst case scenario. Although as gillkin says that there is no recollection of life before, still does not lessen the impact on their lives and those that love them.

Jen, I am so pleased that little Khaleb is coping well with life, he looks a very happy and content child. I have a nephew who has Down's Syndrome, and have known him all his life. Micheal is now 23 years old, and I can honestly say that I have never met a more loving, happy child/man in all my years, his parents are so proud of him too.

I do not know what triggered my diabetes, it is something I really haven't give much thought to, I come from a family with no known diabetes, therefore it was a complete mystery. I don't recall being ill beforehand, and as someone in their late teens was reasonably fit and active. Perhaps other people may shred some light on this issue.

Nigel

howie

3 months for me now (age 22), think i'm getting to grips with it, hard work though.

no family history but i had a pretty stressful year before diagnosis, caring for my girlfriends mother as she passed away from leukaemia i took a lot of responsibility so that my gf and younger sister didn't have to. i know for sure that was my external factor in developing T1.

howie