X RAY AND METFORMIN

cjohnson

Dislikes
Spiders and other similar creepy crawlies
Hi

I read on a thread yesterday and also in the blurb with my metformin that you shouldn't have Xrays if you are taking metformin. I had an xray last Thursday and wasn't aware of this :( - does anyone know if this will cause a problem? They didn't ask if I was on any medication before having it.

Thanks for your help

Chris

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Chris, normal Xrays are not a problem.Which thread did you read this in ?
It is only Xrays which use an iodine based dye that you have to stop Metformin and then only for a short time.

use of iodine-containing X-ray contrast media (do not restart metformin until renal function returns to normal) and use of general anaesthesia (suspend metformin on the morning of surgery and restart when renal function returns to normal.
from BNF.

cjohnson

Dislikes
Spiders and other similar creepy crawlies
Hi Sue

Can't find the thread now it was either in expert or discussion bit and someone listed the side effects to metformin and it said about xray.

I had mammogram so should be OK by the sounds of it. Unfortunately even in the blurb with tabs it just says xray doesn't mention the type which is a bit misleading.

Thanks for the response.

Chris :D

Katharine

Yes, it is x rays were contrast dyes are used that are the problem eg an intravenous urogram or pyelogram for the kidneys.

Plain x rays, ultrasounds and MRI scans are not affected.

markd

Make sure not to get confused between a CT scan and an MRI scan - while MRI contrast agents may not present a problem with Metformin (but *always* ask, this is still a developing field) the agent used in CT scans is similar to those used in contrast-enhanced X-Rays (because a CT scanner uses X-Rays, unlike the magnetic and radiofrequency energy in an MRI scan).

Mark.