Regular moderate exercise log

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
This is a thread where those of us who are not Ironman-ready or triathletes or any other kind of sports superstar can log our more moderate achievements and encourage each other.

I was a very keen sportswoman when I was younger but have really let it slide and these days all I want to do is make my exercise more regular. I have also spoken to/messaged other women on this forum who have similar intentions but we are a bit overawed by our (wonderful, and mostly male) diabetic overachievers. My own exercise habits go in fits and starts, so I plan to log all my moderate boring stuff here in the hope that writing it down will make me do it more often.

First of all: today I walked briskly for approximately 90 minutes!
:)

Baruney

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hola @RuthW

What's moderate about 90 mins of brisk walking? Perfect. Go gal. I enjoy running but the most beneficial exercise mentally and physically is a brisk walk with the dog and not even an hour and a half. 20 mins clears the cobwebs marvellously.

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
LOL, have you seen all the Ironmen, triathletes, marathon runners, bodybuilders and the rest on this forum? I admire them (and you are one of them). I just wanted to make a little space for those of us who do exercise on a smaller, non-competitive scale to encourage each other. It's just as important for us. And less intimidating if we form a group.

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good start.

Keep it going here,

Not much from me this week until Saturday's stupidity (no ironman stuff, just a simple ultramarathon)

Today was a mere 45 minutes of walking with my son (low muscle tone due to a chromosome disorder, he did very well)

Reactions: 6 people

JenniferW

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I feel as if I fit in here. I've never been sporty - pretty much hated it all at school and never took to it as an adult, either. After my T2 diagnosis in May, I decided I'd have to get up and walk more - something I've had spells of liking in the past. I bought myself a fitness monitor and love it. It's working as a sort of nudge to go on and walk a bit more and I love achieving the day's goal! As I'm struggling with blood sugar levels, it's wonderful to achieve some goals. I started off at the lowest rung of the ladder that it would allow and am now doing double what I started off at a month ago. Some days it's hard to get up and go, but I'm starting to plan the rest of the day around it, making the walking a priority.

JenniferW

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
90 minutes walking today.

Ruth - How does this compare with what you were doing before? I'm finding it's demanding a real change in my daily routines - this much walking may be good for me but it also eats up time I'm not used to spending on exercise.

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Not much for me this week.

Saturday a very short run, 30 mins only
Sunday 45 min walk and a bit of gardening
Yesterday my offshore survival refresher course, so about 2.5 hours of splashing around in a pool in a leaking immersion suit escaping from a helicopter simulator and messing around with rubber liferafts.
Today - absolutely nothing

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ruth - How does this compare with what you were doing before? I'm finding it's demanding a real change in my daily routines - this much walking may be good for me but it also eats up time I'm not used to spending on exercise.

Make all those phone calls you've not got round to, take a camera with you and learn a new skill, take a Dictaphone and record your first novel...

Reactions: 5 people

JenniferW

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Make all those phone calls you've not got round to, take a camera with you and learn a new skill, take a Dictaphone and record your first novel...

I listen to downloaded podcasts, and am lucky to have some really nice walks on my doorstep, so I can't complain. I'm now even sorting out which walks have got good all-weather footpaths so I can walk regardless of the weather. But if you're coming to this from a sedentary sort of lifestyle, it takes some re-organising of life - along with all the other challenges of diabetes!

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I listen to downloaded podcasts, and am lucky to have some really nice walks on my doorstep, so I can't complain. I'm now even sorting out which walks have got good all-weather footpaths so I can walk regardless of the weather. But if you're coming to this from a sedentary sort of lifestyle, it takes some re-organising of life - along with all the other challenges of diabetes!
of course it does, if there's one thing to be happy about being diagnosed T1 at aged 39, I already had half a lifetime of sporting practice behind me.

It's definitely tough learning from scratch.

Reactions: 4 people

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes, that's why I have started this log. I mean, what I find is that my exercising goes in fits and starts. So I cannot really compare it with "before." Sometimes I am dead keen and enthusiastic and do all kinds of stuff, but I rarely continue as I intend.

There are other approaches than moderate. HIIT and weight lifting and other sports. They can be done in shorter spaces of time and be effective - more "bang for your buck".

But the idea of HIIT quite turns me off. I've never tried it even. This also may be because I live in Istanbul and HIIT in the summer here is just an accident waiting to happen.

I do weights from time to time. But right now I haven't got a good set and I'm planning to move house soon so I don't want to buy them.

So, for me, the excuses (?) or reasons for not getting superfit pile up. Maybe I need to get there bit by bit instead of setting off in a wild bout of enthusiasm. I'm not so youthful anymore! Enthusiasm doesn't grip that tight now.

And walking is achievable. it's time-consuming too, which means I don't do it every day. But it does have good effects on my blood sugar control and general well-being so I started the log on the basis that if you track an activity you tend to do it more often. And if you do it with others and tell others, you tend to stick to it better (or you embarrass yourself).

I know I spend on average more than 90 minutes a day wasting time online, by the way. So I know I DO have the time. it's just a question of my priorities.

Northerngirl

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Why don't you join in? We don't care if you are a PWD or a partner of one. You never know, it might mean you never become a PWD!
Thanks Ruth, I wasn't sure with being a partner.

Ok, I went to tai chi this morning. I've been going for about 3 years now. I initially started in order to improve my balance. I have fallen and broken my shoulder since then though!

Reactions: 2 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Ricked my neck after overcompensating from sore boobs from biopsies.... Grrrr
Couldn't even walk to the GP today..
However, I am sure tomorrow I can get on bike at the gym and just keep peddling and looking forward!!
Can probably manage a few floor exercises.

Definitely not competitive though.. Not against others even in a game of cards or me personally with myself.

teoni

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Really not one for exercise as such but do enjoy walking and gardening. Since being diagnosed prediabetic I've borrrowed my Grandson's exercise bike and do at least 30 minutes most days. I'm determined to beat this if I can.