Approved Non-Invasive Glucometer Project

How much would you be willing to pay for a non-invasive glucometer (wrist bracelet)?

• $25

• $50

• $100

• $200

• $300

• $300+

Results are only viewable after voting.

alyom

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Our research team (a group of long-bearded PhDs) have developed a non-invasive glucometer. It is a wrist bracelet that regularly reads your sugar levels and sends them to your iPhone or Android device via bluetooth. It alerts about the high glucose levels. No blood samples are necessary. It builds on the success of a much larger non-invasive device used in select hospitals.

We are now looking at the ways to deliver the product to the market. In order to start the production in China we are considering a Kickstarter fund-raising campaign. We would greatly appreciate your feedback.

Question:
- would you be willing to use such non-invasive device?
- how important would such such non-invasive glucometer be compared to other devices on the market?
- would you be willing to support this project on a crowd funding platform?
- do you have any suggestions for us on how we could improve this concept?

Thank you so much! Your feedback will help us understand better how to make this product available and affordable.

Reactions: 4 people

videoman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi were can I get my hand on one,as I test 4-5 times aday at present

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
@alyom My answers:

Yes, as long as it proved reasonably accurate, why wouldn't you replace a fingerpick?
- how important would such such non-invasive glucometer be compared to other devices on the market?
It would potentially be a market leader. Bearing in mind the issues that Abbott have had with being able to supply the Libre, at the correct price point, you would see enormous demand for such a device.
I would certainly consider it, dependent on price and benefits.
Well, until I see the concept, it's hard to provide feedback on how it could be improved. If you need a Beta tester, let me know.

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes absolutly. I self fund a CGM i dont see this to be different
massively, if you can get the price right
Most likely and I would encourage other to also
Alert about low glucose as well, as that is the one most at risk of killing people.

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes, all of those. Would you find ways of distributing it beyond The EU and U.S. I live in Turkey and there is only one CGM available here and it's super expensive in the consumables.

Stansfieldsara

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes to all the above if it would be suitable for under 18's. Would be so much better for children and make checking sugars in the night a lot more better

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Since it is non invasive, i am assuming that the only ongoing costs would be a battery? Like a watch battery?

No monthly sensor costs like the Libre has?

Oh, and one more thing - what is the expected accuracy?

Like Tim, i would be happy to beta test.

JANROU

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Would be happy to support and trial dependent on costs. Would also be happy to beta test.

nmr1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I suppose this would work in my case because I have constantly high blood glucose levels, and rarely have hypo's.

As per the questions:

1 would you be willing to use such non-invasive device?
If i had bigger wrists, I have really thin arms which I can wrap my hands around very easily, I would but things like this have to press hard against the skin usually and this might restrict blood flow, benefits should outweigh the risks I think. Would/Could only buy it if it was on a discount for someone on benefits.

2 how important would such such non-invasive glucometer be compared to other devices on the market?
Personally I think companies are deliberately taking their time in developing a delivery system/monitor that is affordable, not broken and works as it is intended. They are taking too long in the design stages, make things too complex. In my mind I know the cure to diabetes, just that people will think i'm too crazy, added to the fact I have no scientific knowledge, I am not even worth listening to, just like those doomsayers.

3 would you be willing to support this project on a crowd funding platform?

I have no income so it would not be possible to fund anything at this point.

4 do you have any suggestions for us on how we could improve this concept?
Delivers a mild shock to the body if you are nearing 4.0mmol/l or 10mmol/l.
Instead of using a wrist strap, use a glue-like substance like a plaster so as to not restrict blood flow.

But i'm sure some company somewhere is developing a subcutaneous digital watch that shows you the time under your skin which could have some uses as a glucose monitor (which obviously goes beyond the scope of this idea)

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Yes, if course to all questions!

Grumpy ole thing

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
discovering you cant actually turn the stairs round, or move the roof...
We are now looking at the ways to deliver the product to the market. In order to start the production in China we are considering a Kickstarter fund-raising campaign. We would greatly appreciate your feedback.

Question:
  1. - would you be willing to use such non-invasive device?
  2. - how important would such such non-invasive glucometer be compared to other devices on the market?
  3. - would you be willing to support this project on a crowd funding platform?
  4. - do you have any suggestions for us on how we could improve this concept?

hi
1) - yes, what a fab idea.
2) - I am not sure which other devises you are referring to, but no more finger pricking would be fantastic. it would mean I would know my blood levels at all times, and would be able to improve my diabetes control as I sometimes don't do the finger pricks due to a) time restraints (working lunch), b) is a hassle nipping to the toilets before for the finger prick and after for the insulin c) I haven't always got clean hands, (eg after digging my allotment I need a blood test before I can drive home - UK legal requirement), d) it hurts
3) - would need more info please
4) - present it as a cost saving on blood testing strips, on preventing hospital admissions due to hypos, on patient expert forums and giving patients choice and control, on preventing complications as it would easier and safer to keep blood sugar lower and more stable, trending data is more valuable than a spot check number and you would know whether blood sugars are going up or down, link in with Dafne educators, it would also work well with a pump (you might even connect it with a pump to administer automatically?)

Thank you, and good luck

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, of course.
It could be revolutionary, and I would love it, although I don't find finger prick testing to be too horrendous. Until I know more about how it works, and how often it provides readings, I couldn't make any valid comparisons. Any comparisons made, based on your description aren't valid, as each person will be mentally filling in the blanks in their mind's eye.
Probably; depending on the model, and any potential funder benefits, post launch.
Without any detail, that's impossible to answer.

Like others, I would be happy to undertake testing.

Edit to say, I find it incredibly difficult to decide how much I would willingly pay for the device without knowing it's life span or any consumables required on a day to day basis. Needless to say my feelings on cost would differ for something lasting two weeks versus two months or longer.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Our research team (a group of long-bearded PhDs) have developed a non-invasive glucometer. It is a wrist bracelet that regularly reads your sugar levels and sends them to your iPhone or Android device via bluetooth. It alerts about the high glucose levels. No blood samples are necessary. It builds on the success of a much larger non-invasive device used in select hospitals.

Question:

Thank you so much! Your feedback will help us understand better how to make this product available and affordable.

I would love to use the product, it sounds promising and after decades of finger pricking, it can take it's toll on fingers. The price would have to be reasonable enough for users to afford and if children could use it, it would probably need to be shock proof, scratch proof and able to fit on small wrists, I have quite small wrists. How safe is it? How does it actually work ? (as it's not just for hypo's, like the hypo band that picks up sweating and temperature) How long is it's life span ? Is a light fitted?
As for crowd funding, it would depend on how many people you could get, just a thought, would it be possible to get some sort of sponsorship from companies ?
Best wishes RRB

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The big question for me is: is it more or less accurate than a standard glucometer?

More accurate: I'd feel comfortable spending more than a thousand dollars
Less accurate: It's a paperweight

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
The big question for me is: is it more or less accurate than a standard glucometer?

Would that be you personally or the insurance company? And how do you define accuracy? I'd make the assumption it would have to have a MARD in line with existing blood testing devices?

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Less accurate: It's a paperweight

For all we know, it could be something like this, with a smart chip:
upload_2015-11-19_22-31-9.png

You may know what "you" would be willing to pay for the image you have in your head, but that may not be what will be delivered.

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Would that be you personally or the insurance company? And how do you define accuracy? I'd make the assumption it would have to have a MARD in line with existing blood testing devices?
That would be out of my own pocket, but again, it would have to be a heck of a device to make it worth paying that much. As far as accuracy, there have been a number of comparison tests between standard glucometers. I'd say that getting within 10% more than 90% of the time is a realistic way to quantify "accurate." For example: in one study, my Accu-Chek Aviva Expert was 97% accurate within 10% (below 5.5mmol) and 91% accurate within 10% (above 5.5mmol).

I'm all about value when it comes to making these kinds of purchases:
-Will this device make my life easier or is it just a cool gadget?
-What does this device offer that I can't get anywhere else?
-What am I getting for the price premium?
-What is the overall cost (rather than just the initial cost)?

Answering those kinds of questions helps me decide if I'm willing to spend thousands of dollars or less than $20.

For all we know, it could be something like this, with a smart chip: View attachment 16479

You may know what "you" would be willing to pay for the image you have in your head, but that may not be what will be delivered.
That was what I was getting at. Depending on it's quality and function, it could be worth paying a significant amount, or it may not even be worth my time. Hard to made an educated decision based on the information provided.

Dillinger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celery.
Yes.

There is already the Freestyle Libre which some of us use; the downsides on that are the price point, the reliability (i.e. the high failure rate of the products) and the variable accuracy of the readings.

Wearable tech versus traditional finger prick blood glucose monitoring is hugely attractive.

Depends on what it is and other variables.

The reliability needs to be good, the data needs to be handled well and presented well, if there are multiple replacement elements (i.e. the sensors for Freestyle Libre) then they have to be priced properly otherwise they won't get used/replaced. It is not viable to use pump technology as a price marker.

The software app needs to be excellent; clear and useful and usable by patients and health care providers to track blood glucose.

Having a nocturnal low blood sugar alarm would provide great peace of mind.

Claire007

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Would you be willing to use it
Yes
How is it comparable
I'm not aware of any other such products, only hypoband
Crowd funding support
Not sure
Ho could we improve
Well difficult to say, I don't know what it looks like, if it looks like a brick then you've got more work to do :)
It must be reliable and accurate or else it's of no use, I'd have to be very confident in its accuracy in order to match my insulin/give corrections, but it would be absolutely fantastic if such a product existed & was reasonably priced