Need help ASAP

Robynberrill

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Okay so I've taken the units of insulin for a BS of 20. I really don't want to worry anyone. I'll just keep an eye on them for a couple of hours and see what happens. The only thing is with my ketones trips is that they only give me a prescription of 5 strips. I've already used 3 when I had a DKA before and then one tonight. If I use another one later I'll be totally ran out

Robynberrill

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Okay so I've just checked my blood sugar levels and they are dropping. I've gone from 20 to 14. That's good right?

Reactions: 2 people

petdell

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Take a correction dose. Then check your bloods in an hour. Please check your bloods again before you inject and wash your hands before you check it's so easy to get a false reading. Don't panic 20 is not disastrous.

Reactions: 2 people

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes, it's good they're dropping. Don't be tempted to take any more insulin. When your BS is above 13, the insulin can take longer to,work, but it will be working for some hours. Keep testing your blood sugar and see how things go.

Reactions: 3 people

Tylers73

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That's good it's coming down but like everyone else has said make sure you do not go hypo. When go to sleep just make sure you have everything you need beside your bed. It's ok don't panic babe xx

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Please can people NOT suggest amounts for correction doses. We're all different and what drops you 'X' amount of mmols may drop someone else far, far more.

Reactions: 7 people

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you guys. Feel more confident with everyone's advice x

No criticism of any of the other contributors.. (Some great practice advice going on.)

It needs a mention.. Be wary of retiring to bed after a correction dose of fast acting as well as the usual basal..!

petdell

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ignore last post if it's dropping that quickly a correction dose could take you into hypo territory.

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
According to the DCUK website, at ketones of 1.5 or more you should call a HCP for advice, not try to manage it on your own.

What should the ketone test results be?

• Under 0.6 mmol/L - a normal blood ketone value
  • 0.6 to 1.5 mmol/L - indicates that more ketones are being produced than normal, test again later to see if the value has lowered
  • 1.6 to 3.0 mmol/L - a high level of ketones and could present a risk of ketoacidosis. It is advisable to contact your healthcare team for advice.
  • Above 3.0 mmol/L - a dangerous level of ketones which will require immediate medical care.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes_care/testing-for-ketones.html

Tylers73

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Everyone is different weight, what you've eaten, stress levels even. The thing is time just to keep checking when levels like that.

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
Everyone panics with high levels don't just watch it for a while. Waste of time going to hospital just tell you what I've told you. Had DKA too many times so do understand sweetie

I think this is dangerous advice, as according to the DCUK website getting medical help at ketones of 3 or more is advisable.

I know you are trying to provide reassurance and encouraging the OP not to panic, and so am I, but I think it's better safe than sorry. She can still call a HCP or go to A&E without panicking.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It may be wise to set your alarm to check your sugars in the night just in case they go too low (or too high). I know it's a pain when you want to sleep, but it's what I would do if I had to do a correction dose at night.

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Okay so I've taken the units of insulin for a BS of 20. I really don't want to worry anyone. I'll just keep an eye on them for a couple of hours and see what happens. The only thing is with my ketones trips is that they only give me a prescription of 5 strips. I've already used 3 when I had a DKA before and then one tonight. If I use another one later I'll be totally ran out
I suggest you ask for more strips at the next opportunity. I don't know what is the usual amount to have on hand but at a guess I'd want to have at least 10 strips, if not 20. Seems crazy to expect you to get by with 5 or less.

Neemo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You could always call the NHS non emergency number (111). The operator normally asks you a series of questions, then a doctor calls you back to discuss within an hour.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Either ways @Robynberrill

If you have someone with you. Or just someone to contact. Give em the "heads up" so they can check you're OK in the morning..