Controlling diabetes by diet, needing advice

Nicki484

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,
I was diagnosed type 2 diabetic 3 months ago, I would really like to control diabetes by diet only, I have lost a 20lbs and my blood sugar is now around 8-9. I now need to maintain my weight and continue to lower my blood sugar.
An example of what I may have in one day is porridge and an apple for breakfast, a mushroom omellette for lunch, dinner - tuna steak, sweet potato, courgettes, and leeks. I snack on almonds, advacado, and celery sticks.
I thought I was ok with sweet potato but it seems to be making my blood sugar go up by 3 after 2 hours. I tried brown pasta and my sugar shot up a ridiculous amount, the same happens with brown bread.
I really would like to find a bread I can eat, I don't understand how I can eat porridge with milk which is about 51g of carbs, but when I eat one slice of bread at 14g of carbs my body can't handle it
I am not eating enough calories and I don't know what else I can eat. Is there any type of bread, or pasta I can eat without it making my blood sugar rise. I have not had any chocolate, biscuits, junk food etc since being diagnosed.
If anyone has any advice it would be much appreciated.
Thank you,
Nicki

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You might like to look at the Low Carb section of the forum, as a low carb high(er) fat diet will help you greatly with your glucose - and you'll be eating extra fat and a bit more protein for your additional calories.

There are low carb breads available, and you can use flour alternatives like ground almonds, coconut or sesame flour to bake your own.

Robbity

Reactions: 2 people

SueKen

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Nicki,
When I was first diagnosed I seemed to find I was more sensitive to the carbs in wheat flour than chocolate! Many people find Burgen bread OK, you can get it in most UK supermarkets. Or have you tried bread made with rye flour rather than wheat flour?
Sue

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Try Burgen Linseed and Soya bread and Lidl's if you have one do protein rolls and a lot of people here have them as they don't raise their blood glucose..You can get low carb pasta and rice in Holland and Barrett but I have never had it so I can't say what it is like. You are doing well and your diet so far seems fine

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
HI. I have small quantities of low-GI bread from my local baker. I have eggs and bacon for breakfast with a small amount of muesli; uncooked oats with cold milk are better than porridge but if porridge is OK for you then fine. The daily calorie intake we are told we need is based on thin air. The main thing is to have low carbs and have enough protein, fats, veg etc to feel full. I wonder whether you need to increase you protein and fats a bit? BTW I have 85% Dark Chocolate which is quite low carb but has some fat.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have the Lidl high protein rolls, sliced in half and toasted with lots of butter. I only have half of one at once. Half is about 4g carbs, and they have no affect on my BS levels, whereas other types of bread do.

Reactions: 5 people

Evelynross

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Bare naked foods on line. Rice and noodles 0.1 per 100g! Expensive but a treat now and then

rosserk

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I love the Protien Rolls from Lidl with crunchy peanut butter! They are really filling I can't imagine being able to eat a whole one! They are also great for freezing...

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have found many alternative low carb bread recipes on Google and Pinterest.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I find it really interesting that you have such a strong BG response to wheat - maybe you have a food intolerance issue rather than just the carbohydrate content?

Nicki484

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You might like to look at the Low Carb section of the forum, as a low carb high(er) fat diet will help you greatly with your glucose - and you'll be eating extra fat and a bit more protein for your additional calories.

There are low carb breads available, and you can use flour alternatives like ground almonds, coconut or sesame flour to bake your own.

Robbity

Hi Robbity,

I was just looking through my old posts and found you.
I just wanted to say a big thank you to you because you were the first person to mention the LCHF diet. From when you mentioned it I went on to research a lot and completed the low carb programme.
I learned so much about carbs and fats and this diet has helped me so much.

Thank you!!

Reactions: Robbity