Type 1 Diabetes is killing me

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @indiaemily what did you hope to achieve from joining here and posting? In earlier posts you've said you don't know anyone else with diabetes (you now know LOADS) and everyone has offered you soooo much help, support and advice.

When you speak with your therapist are you telling them the full extent of your problems? I worry that you aren't and that's maybe why more hasn't been done to help you, you've said you hide it a lot, please don't hide it from the people that are specially trained to help you.

Abbie

Reactions: 10 people

Natalie1974

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning @indiaemily
How're you feeling now? A bit more positive I hope.
Had a mare of a day yesterday...burst water main in the middle of the night...:(...so had a hellish day trying to get it sorted and was unable to get online...but you were in my thoughts all day.
You gave me a proper scare there...but please...take the help that is being offered...as big as it seems to change your ways...it's the only way forward...you already know you have the support of all of us here but you need to help yourself out of this hole. It's all about baby steps...it won't happen overnight but hopefully having read all the advice being offered...and you will realise that it absolutely is within your grasp...take it one day at a time and be honest with those trying to help you...it will get easier...but you need to be brave and take those first steps.
Best of luck to you
Natalie x

Reactions: 2 people

buckley8219

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Not sure there is much point in this thread remaining open.

The original poster has been given a huge amount of advice and offers of support and friendship, only so much that people on an internet forum can do. This is a case for healthcare professionals and the original poster to deal with.

It seems to be worrying and causing stress for a number of members.

I'd advise the original OP to think carefully about posting about suicide on an open public forum, don't put anything on the internet that you wouldn't put on a post card and wouldn't mind the public, friends, family reading in years to come.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 6 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not sure there is much point in this thread remaining open.

The original poster has been given a huge amount of advice and offers of support and friendship, only so much that people on an internet forum can do. This is a case for healthcare professionals and the original poster to deal with.

It seems to be worrying and causing stress for a number of members.

I'd advise the original OP to think carefully about posting about suicide on an open public forum, don't put anything on the internet that you wouldn't put on a post card and wouldn't mind the public, friends, family reading in years to come.

Buckley - I'm not making any judgement on your comment, but just saying it might be useful to tag @Giverny and @Administrator , in order to be sure your message is getting to your target.

buckley8219

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Buckley - I'm not making any judgement on your comment, but just saying it might be useful to tag @Giverny and @Administrator , in order to be sure your message is getting to your target.

Sorry, just reread and it sounds abit harsh and uncaring.

Just genuinely concerned it appears a girl is thinking/attempting suicide etc and our hands our tied.

Alisonjane10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies, discrimination of any kind, bad manners, parents who let their kids run amok & spoil things for everyone else, unkind spiteful people, being a clumsy clod, toast crumbs in the bed, cold feet!!
I suspect Emily has backed off from this forum now. People experiencing depression can be very sensitive to negative comments. And so, they remove themselves from a potentially destructive situation. If that's the case, then all we can do is wish her well for the future & hope she finds the strength to reach out to those around her for the help and support she so obviously needs. Best wishes Emily. There are numerous forum members rooting for you.

Reactions: 9 people

buckley8219

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry would just feel implicit and guilty if something did happen to the poor girl.

Whilst I'm sat reading about it on a laptop..

Administrator

Staff Member
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I have reported this to the mods in the hope that they have some kind of crisis response method in place for dealing with situations like this. If the OP has seriously overdosed, then she needs help beyond what people at an internet forum could possibly provide - if she hasn't, it's very cruel to toy with the emotions of people who have gone out of their way to help her.
In short: no, we do not have any crisis response steps. This is simply due to the fact that we don't have any identifiable information about our forum users (that includes phone numbers, full names, addresses etc.) other than email address. We have access to IP addresses, but contrary to popular belief, that isn't a way we can identify and/or contact someone. Not even if we contact their internet provider.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Would it not be an idea - as for alot of companies that phone nimbers and addresses are given for registering as a user?

I certainly wouldn't mind.

Reactions: 5 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Would it not be an idea - as for alot of companies that phone nimbers and addresses are given for registering as a user?

I certainly wouldn't mind.

I certainly would mind. The only companies that know my address are the ones I order stuff from. It would be a false address otherwise.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I feel more vulnerable giving my address details to companies I buy from than here. Just goes to show how we are all different...

Viewpoint taken though:)

Reactions: 5 people

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
I think there's nothing a forum can do to help people with severe depression, such as trying to find out where they are, because if you ask for identifying information people will just falsify it. Most of us like anonymity and privacy online, particularly those with depression or suicidal thinking.

My approach is to try to resist worrying about them, as much as possible, because there is nothing any of us can do except offer words of support. They may take those words on board or they may ignore them.

People's words have been so kind and thoughtful, and there is a lot of material in this thread that may be of help to those experiencing diabetes burnout and/or depression. Although the thread hasn't so far had the outcome we may have wanted, I think it was still a good thing.

Reactions: 4 people

indiaemily

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I just want to say thank you for all the positive comments, advice and supportive words. I'm out of hospital, but my diabetes is really out of control and I've been referred to a new mental health team to try get a new diagnosis. I really do appreciate all the help people are giving me, it's made me really emotional because I've never had this kind of support before, I suppose i am just overwhelmed and a bit scared with all the helpful advice so I'm trying to sort my mental health out over the next few weeks and I suppose my diabetes is just gonna take the brunt of me being down at moment, thank you again xxx

Reactions: 18 people

indiaemily

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
and I'm sorry if people think I don't appreciate all of this because I've read every single word that has been said to me and taken everything on board x

Reactions: 18 people

LizzieNI

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Sounds like a good plan Emily. Glad you've got a mh plan, please be honest with them. We're all thinking of you. *big hug* Xxx

Ambersilva

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@indiaemily Thank you for coming back to update us. It is lovely to hear from you. You sound much better already. Lot's of T1s some young and some older are on this forum to offer you virtual friendship, help and support.

Best wishes,

Ambersilva

Reactions: 4 people

Natalie1974

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @indiaemily. Glad to hear you're ok...and out of hospital. I wish you luck in the next stage of your journey and hope that you'll get the help and support that you need. Please do come back to us and let us know how you're getting on...and when you're ready to tackle your diabetes you know we'll all be here to support you.

Best wishes
Natalie x