Hard to decide.

ivm18

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello, My newly diagnosed teen son asked me if he can go out with his friends, eat out, watch movie and play lazer extreme! This is not the first time he will spend times with his pal outside our house or school. He had some sleep over couple of times since diagnosis. My worry is he and his friends will go out without adult supervision in a crowded mall. Unlike sleep over, host parents were there in case of some emergency situation.
Should I allow my son? I am having this crazy idea to stalk him/them in the mall.

M

mammamia2006

Why dont tou invite a couple of his friends round & explain about diabetes & what to do if he hypos, etc?

He can go out and enjoy being a kid & you can relax a bit knowing his friends know what to do should anything happen.

Reactions: 8 people

ivm18

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, yeah i could do that, though i know his friends are quiet aware of hypo signs since my son had a couple of hypo incident at school and his two closest buddies helped him. May i ask, what if there is a lockdown situations in the mall what will kids do? I know i am being paranoid here. :(

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
how old is he exactly, 13..........?

there is a big difference between 13 and 16 for example.........

whatever the age it wont stop you worrying that's for sure....;)

as long as he is prepared with hypo resolve he would be fine I would imagine, especially as he wont be on his own and will be in a public place...... :)

Reactions: 2 people

ivm18

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @novorapidboi26, he is 14, diagnosed 7 months ago.
You were exactly right, regardless of age i would still be his worried mum.
Thank you for "getting" it!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
No matter what age they are you never stop worrying about your children @ivm18 :)

I'd cut him some slack and allow him some time away from home with his friends, as long as he is sensible, knows how to spot and treat a hypo and is aware of carb counting and adjusting his own insulin he should fine, @mammamia2006 suggestion about having a word with his friends beforehand would give you some reassurance.

ivm18

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks @noblehead , you always gives me sensible advices. But sir what would be your advice in case of lockdown situation? Say something happened in the mall and they have to make a lockdown?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
The chances of that happening are very slim @ivm18 18, if he carry's his pens, bg meter, fast-acting glucose and some small snacks he would be fine.

I fully understand why you are worried and I would be the same if it was my child and they were recently diagnosed with diabetes, it will get easier in time for both of you.

Natalie1974

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I guess this is something that affects all parents at some point regardless of whether they are diabetic or not...I know I was very wary when my (non diabetic) daughter started doing this kind of thing...but I think as @noblehead has said...if he is sensible and has a good understanding of carb counting and hypo's...then why not. To not allow him to be a normal teen and go out with his friends will only build resentment in the long run. Presumably he has a mobile so could call you if he needed to...but for added peace of mind perhaps you could also ask him if he is happy for you to give your number to his friends...just in case. He'll probably laugh at you but will hopefully realise that it's just because your an overprotective mother and you love him.

Do lockdowns happens regularly in your area? I've not heard of this before...if you ensure he has all his kit and some fast acting glucose on him I'm sure he'll be fine.

ivm18

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
The reason why i am being paranoid here is because of some reports in the news lately. Experts advised public to be more prepared because a possible huge earthquake might occur in my country just like what happened in Nepal sometime in April this year. Philippines is included in the Pacific ring of fire. There have been some earthquake drills in the city and schools. I guess being prepared is all we can do. And being CALM right? Just being a paranoid mum here. Sorry

ivm18

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
I was talking to him while ago about his day out with friends, I told him since they are going to the mall and i too needs to go to buy something in the craft store, maybe i could give you and your friends a ride to the mall? And he just laughed and told me mommy you and your old style! Busted!

Natalie1974

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey...don't apologise...as a mum myself I completely understand and it sounds like you have more cause to be concerned than I'd realised. My daughter is 22 and recently passed her driving test...I'm still on edge every time she leaves the house. But yes...be prepared and try to remain calm...if he knows what he's doing you just need to have some trust in him. The more often he does this and comes home absolutely fine...the more reassured you'll be.

bickmops

Lol !! My son is 14 diagnosed 3 yeares ago and my the stress of letting go is huge !! Still can't rest especially on sleepovers , he hasent the best control, but I have realized that letting go is so important to stop future resentment , just keep compromising and never mention it's because t1 !!! They really do get all our snooping at 14 x

Reactions: 4 people

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
The reason why i am being paranoid here is because of some reports in the news lately. Experts advised public to be more prepared because a possible huge earthquake might occur in my country just like what happened in Nepal sometime in April this year. Philippines is included in the Pacific ring of fire. There have been some earthquake drills in the city and schools. I guess being prepared is all we can do. And being CALM right? Just being a paranoid mum here. Sorry
We get earthquakes in NZ and when a big one hits everyone just looks after each other really well. Malls have designated fire wardens among the staff and they check on people when there is an emergency. If something happens I'm sure he will be fine. Waiting for the doors to be unlocked after an earthquake is the worst part because it's boring, lol.

ivm18

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you all for your great advices,and for sharing your thoughts about letting go. We are still very new to this kind of living.l feel a little relax now. Anyway, my son and his friends left earlier. And im pretty sure they are having some great time now. I received a text message from my son around lunch time. And it says BS-91. A 5.05 in mmol if my convertion is correct? And another text after few minutes. We are having pizza for lunch! Yikes! We all knew how pizza affects BG. *sigh*

Natalie1974

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Mmmm...yeah...pizza not a great choice :eek:...expect a few highs later. Try to keep calm...he has to do this...it's important for his own confidence as much as it is yours. Long deep breaths...keep calm and hope it all goes well :)

ivm18

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
My son just got home from almost 9 hours of day out. I found these numbers on his meter. A 5.0, 8.2 and a 5.3 with 2 to 3 hours checking intervals. I am so happy that i let him go out and have some great time with his friends! Its all worth it, my son definetely feels great i know because he is in the shower right now singing! Thank you all so much! Love you all!

Reactions: 3 people

Natalie1974

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Wow...that's an amazing result considering the pizza. You should be really proud of him...it's proof that he's got a really good handle on it and can absolutely be trusted to do this again. Are you feeling a little more reassured?

ivm18

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes I am Natalie, Im glad I listened to all of your advices. It feels like i defeated my fears. I am so proud of my son on how he handles diabetes. I hope he continue to be that way. And the pizza maybe because after they had lunch they played a lot in the mall arcade. Air hockey, basketball etc,etc. They walked a lot too! Here now, my son cant get enough telling us his experience today.