HAVE I STRUCK GOLD WITH THIS PEANUT BUTTER?

Marsha

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Trying to keep on top of my diabetes all the time - and everything that goes with it
Because I had a little time on my hands I decided to check out nutritional values of a few peanut butters'. I came across the Tesco Everyday Value crunchy peanut butter that contains 5.6g of carbs per 100g. Does this seem right to you... it seems awfully low to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 7 people

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I got a jumbo jar of it recently with 5.4g carbs. I couldn't find my usual Whole Earth one. So yes, it seems fine and quite a lot cheaper. But not organic of course.

Reactions: 2 people

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
I think there is a possibility that Tesco labels are a bit misleading.

Having looked at the website, I notice they don't say "of which sugars" like Sunpat do. So you "may" have to add the sugar value and the carb value to get to the true value. (8.9g per 100g - just guessing, still lower than Sunpat though.) Also it seems to be a bit fattier, which some people might prefer?

Tesco everyday....
upload_2015-9-15_18-10-27.png

Sunpat.....

upload_2015-9-15_18-11-44.png

Barry Holt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Drivers who speed in built up areas
The other half has a jar of Sun Pat crunchy butter and just checked out of curiosity and that is 15.1 g of carbs per 100 g big difference

Reactions: 4 people

Marsha

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Trying to keep on top of my diabetes all the time - and everything that goes with it
I got a jumbo jar of it recently with 5.4g carbs. I couldn't find my usual Whole Earth one. So yes, it seems fine and quite a lot cheaper. But not organic of course.
Lower carb and cheap...I can live with that!

Marsha

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I think there is a possibility that Tesco labels are a bit misleading.

Having looked at the website, I notice they don't say "of which sugars" like Sunpat do. So you "may" have to add the sugar value and the carb value to get to the true value. (8.9g per 100g - just guessing, still lower than Sunpat though.) Also it seems to be a bit fattier, which some people might prefer?

Tesco everyday....
View attachment 15733

Sunpat.....

View attachment 15734
On the actual jar of the Everyday value peanut butter it lists carbs as 5.6g per 100g of which sugars 3.6. It does seem a bit fattier so perhaps that's why I like the taste... and it doesn't seem to stick to the roof of my mouth like some of the others!

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
On the actual jar of the Everyday value peanut butter it lists carbs as 5.6g per 100g of which sugars 3.6. It does seem a bit fattier so perhaps that's why I like the taste... and it doesn't seem to stick to the roof of my mouth like some of the others!

Also just realised that Tesco list the Fibre on its own - Fibre is a 'complex carbohydrate', so there's another 5g for you,

Baruney

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Because I had a little time on my hands I decided to check out nutritional values of a few peanut butters'. I came across the Tesco Everyday Value crunchy peanut butter that contains 5.6g of carbs per 100g. Does this seem right to you... it seems awfully low to me.
Dam you @Marsha

The secret is out now!

I am a world renowned (OWN WORLD) expert on peanut butter and all things peanut related.

You have indeed struck gold as it the lowest of the low including whole earth and sun pat sugar free crunchy or smooth. I thought it was a mistake at first as it beats all contenders hands down. Most carby are the American imports funnily enough and lidl and aldi s fake American specials.

On the nut front aldi s chilli nuts are the lowest carbs but their normal nuts are one of the highest.

Who'd have thought.

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I don't claim to be an expert but having lived in Canada I've been exposed to a fair few brands and my favourite is Meridian organic crunchy peanut butter which is over 11g per 100g but it's literally nothing but peanuts. No added sugar, salt or vegetable oils.

Total carbohydrate includes fibre. In the U.S. they deduct fibre from total carbohydrate to get net carbs. Harvard School of Health and many others say that fibre is an indigestible form of carbohydrate.

In the UK we don't have total carbs, we have net carbs and fibre. The calculation the Americans do is already done for us.

Since fibre is indigestible, there seems no point in adding it to net carbs to get total carbohydrate because the majority of it maybe all of it, won't raise BG. If you were to take insulin to cover total carbs, you might find yourself going too low, hours later.

T1s might want to check say Dr Bernstein on this but I know that American Atkins and Paleo followers work on net carbs.

Anything outside of the nutrition panels on products is a nutrition claim unsubstantiated by FSA, FDA etc.

Billy Ruffian

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Whole Earth is 5.3

Sun-Pat Crunchy with No Added Sugar has 13.8g Carbohydrates/100g, of which 3.5g sugars.

michelejane

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
reality/celebrity tv, sport
til I saw this thread I'd forgotten how much I love peanut butter. Must buy some tomorrow! I prefer whole earth but like the cheaper basic ones too.:happy:

mortiferum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I love peanut butter!

But have always associated it with strawberry jam and toasted tiger loaf bread. Now that I have stopped eating bread / jam Im at a lost how else to eat the peanut butter short of eating it straight out of the jar!

Just wondering how do other low carbers eat their peanut butter?

Last edited by a moderator:

Ceres

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@mortiferum I've been mixing my peanut butter with cream cheese and having it with strawberries in the morning.

And tomorrow, I plan to make this for a somewhat indulgent breakfast!

Reactions: 3 people

smag3

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Doctors telling me that I probably know more than them
I love peanut butter!

But have always associated it with strawberry jam and toasted tiger loaf bread. Now that I have stopped eating bread / jam Im at a lost how else to eat the peanut butter short of eating it straight out of the jar!

Just wondering how do other low carbers eat there peanut butter?
On a lidl high protein roll, toasted. Half a roll is 5 carbs. Worth seeking them out.

rich w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
none
Hi all how do eat this on toast or with something else as it seams to good to true.

R2T2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Winter, war, pestilence
Peanut butter on lettuce is nice too - sounds weird but tastes lovely. I like the hearts of romaine lettuce best for with peanut butter, nice and crunchy.

Tirianne

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Peanut butter spread in to the groove of a celery stick (or two) makes a great snack. I also spread it on a slice of 'Livlife' bread from Waitrose. This bread has saved me - at 3.9 g of carbs per slice it's perfect for sandwiches, egg or cheese on toast....... and occasionally I grate some 85% Lindt chocolate on it as soon as it's toasted...... 'it's as good as choc spread!!!
Anyone made peanut butter cookies?

debbiedoodles

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all how do eat this on toast or with something else as it seams to good to true.

http://www.diabeticgoodbaking.com/p/breads.html
Some good recipes for flax crackers and almond crackers above. This is what I have with cheese, peanut butter, mashed avocado etc.
For jam just cook down some strawberries with a tiny bit of water and blitz them then add tsp cornflour to thicken, if not sweet enough add xylitol

debbiedoodles

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Peanut butter spread in to the groove of a celery stick (or two) makes a great snack. I also spread it on a slice of 'Livlife' bread from Waitrose. This bread has saved me - at 3.9 g of carbs per slice it's perfect for sandwiches, egg or cheese on toast....... and occasionally I grate some 85% Lindt chocolate on it as soon as it's toasted...... 'it's as good as choc spread!!!
Anyone made peanut butter cookies?

There are peanut butter cookies on this website

http://www.diabeticgoodbaking.com/p/breads.html