metformin

Dalekkiller

Dislikes
Slow drivers, blood tests, having to go to hospital
When I was first diagnosed, I was put on Metformin. I stuck it out for 6 months but really couldn't live with all the gastric side effects. It got to the point where I stopped taking it as it was affecting my ability to go out (which isn't good at the best of times!). Fortunately, I managed to tell my consultant that the side effects were too much for me so he put me on Glucophage (slow release). He said this would be more gentle and if I took it with my evening meal, I should be okay. It's still not ideal but at least I'm not running to the loo every 5 minutes! Not many people know that there's an alternative there and not everyone's brave enough to mention the side effects. Speak up, people, there is an alternative that doesn't make you feel quite so uncomfortable.

youssef

I was on metformin 500, 3 tablets a day. Initially it gave me nausea but then severe headaches everday, I'd wake up with a headache and it'd stay with me all day long till night time. I went back to GP who referred me to a consultant, who put me on Glucophage and Byetta. no more headaches.

danq

i went onto metformin usual probs then settled down for about 3 years then started to get blisters on hands big blisters that came from inside not outside like a burn, if i didnt bust them they got realy swollen and painfull when busted clear sticky liquid came out then they filled up again . the thickness of the skin over the blister meant that when they bust i was levft with large patches of red raw skin. it took me about a year to work out what was the cause. stopped the metformin and withi a week the blisters stopped, left the metformin off for about a year then tried to go back on it , took about 48 hours brfore the blisters started again so had to come off it, which was a shame really as i could control the sugar levels and lost weight. now on gliclazide which dont work very well but have changed to lo carb diet, and sugar control is superb
dan

shineboy

To Jan Shelley. reading about your side effects with metformin was like reading what i went through nearly nine years ago!. After being told that i was type 2, I was on diet only for 4 months, then onto metformin. Everything I ate tasted of metal, I kept being sick. I lost weight, because I could'nt keep anything down.
Now, after all these years, I can say it will get better. after the first three weeks on metformin, I told my doctor that I would rather have the diabetes than the cure!. I came through by just eating thin cup-a-soup. People kept telling me that I should be pleased that I was losing weight (?), why was I moaning?!?.
Keep going, on lovely consultant told me that I was now a member of a exclusive club, and that I was not alone.

Jennigee

My experience with Metformin has been that it has changed my taste buds, I have gone of certain foods and drinks, I enjoyed Chinese food, and now find it difficult to find anything I like, I enjoyed fajitas and no longer do, also green peppers, broccolli, and (weirdly) oxidised red wine! I can drink it as soon as the bottle has been opened, then I have a 20 - 30 minute window to drink it, after that it just tastes disgusting! Oh how that makes me mad, I was never a big drinker, but I did enjoy a glass of wine with my Sunday dinner or a special meal.

mrmoley

Dislikes
Chavs and fish
Hi. I was prescribed metformin and had symptoms of bloating and wind/diarrhea. I persevered with this for a while as I was not working. However I started working and had to stop taking them. I put on a bit of weight, but still had problems with bloating and diarrhea, although not as bad as before. I found out that I have IBS. I was then put on slow release metformin as I was told this was easier to tolerate. Unfortunately this didn't seem to make any difference in terms of side effects. I felt so ill some days I could not work, so I came off them. I didn't notice any metallic taste. I am now on a basal bolus regime. I take 64 units of Lantus at night and variable number of units of Novorapid after meals according to how much carbohydrate I've consumed. I don't want to go back on metformin but my weight yo-yo's. Does anyone know an alternative to metformin. Glicazide didn't work for me.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Hi Mrmoley.

There are several alternatives to Metformin and Gliclazide. Your GP should know about these. If you cannot tolerate certain drugs there are also drugs such as Byetta, and Victoza although I am not sure if Victoza is licensed for use with Insulin ? I would have to check.

I would suggest you discuss this with your GP.

weggy

While it, touch wood, doesnt seem to have caused any long lasting issues, taking metformin increased my ALT levels hugely. After starting Metformin about 4 years ago, the ALT level went up to 170. It stayed up in the mid 100's until I stopped taking Metformin about 6 months ago... first blood test showed ALT back in the 50's and within normal range...

shineboy

I have recieved a message from the moderator about my first post spelling it all in capital letters.
I'm very sorry about that, this is the first time I have ever posted anything on a site, so I.m still learning. I did'nt mean to offend anyone out there. to jan shelley, keep going, soon you will feel a bit better every day. :)

PlymouthDave

I am quite new to the forum so please forgive me if this is a daft question.

I am taking 2 x 500mg of metformin daily but as far as I can see, I am the only type 1 discussing this topic. Is it normal for a type 1 to be on metformin?

Many thanks

PlymouthDave

It seems daft but I honestly can't remember. I just take what the experts prescribe without questioning it. Maybe I am too trusting! I will discuss it with the Sister at my next visit but just wanted to know if a type 1 taking it was unusual.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
It is unusual, but not unheard of. It can actually be prescribed for other complaints and is also used in adolescent type 1's as well.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
It is possible that,because you were immediately put on insulin ,you were classed as type 1 when in fact you may be type2.Maybe your doctor can clarify this with you.

PlymouthDave

I am definitely a Type 1 and my consultant at the time said something about the metformin helping my body absorb the insulin, or something to that effect. Does this make any sense to anyone?

Dalekkiller

Dislikes
Slow drivers, blood tests, having to go to hospital
I'm nowhere near 100% sure but I think Metformin helps your body to use insulin better. As others have said, it's probably best to check with whoever helps you manage your diabetes.

micky.p

I am on 3 metformin a day,the only real side effect is funny taste in my mouth &a bit of wind.As for loss of appetite i am as hungary as ever with no real weight loss or gain,have been taking them for about 6weeks my sugar levels have come down a little but it is slow going i think patience is the key here. :)

edwin

Dislikes
Getting older
I have been on metformin for 5 years now and I remember having problems having to rush to the loo all the time, I was changed to the slow release type but the problem continued. In time I found it was sugar free gum that was the problem, I used to get through 3 packets a day and the sweetner in it acts like a laxative if you take a lot it even says so on the packet but you have to read the very small print. Taking 3 x 500 SR a day for 4 years with no problems now.