A way to get away with potatoes

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
One of the foods I most miss is mashed potatoes.
Today for dinner I'm trying an experiment" Almost colcannon"
I have some left over steamed cabbage,
I have boiled and mashed 2 King Edward potatoes, added butter and grated cheese and the cooked cabbage with 4 shredded spring onions.
Will have it with casseroled pork and mushrooms.
Will report back

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Good luck with that hanadr. May well get my coat and come round to yours for dinner :)

bernie.freeman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
selfish people
Hi Hana,
Looks like you will get a few of us knocking on your door today ! Sounds scrummy !

Bernie :lol: :lol:

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Hi Hana.

Sending this on my Blackberry........see you in about half an hour.
Can you chill my Guinness please ? :D BTW, if you do put any music on - can you make sure it's not your mate Ian's choice..... :wink:

Ken. :lol:

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
BG went up by 1.2, which has put me up to 7, outside my target, but definitely not catastrophic.
I'll put the recipe up and I might well do that one again.Next time I'll take another Metformin. Now I need to go walk off the BG
Hana

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
There was a big knob of butter, 2 tablespoonsful of double cream and a couple of ounces of grated Red Leicester cheese, so plenty of fat.
I did walk a bit of it off. went about 2 miles to daughter's house to meet new kitten and play with granddaughter.( and kitten)

suzi

Dislikes
people who are rude and ignorant, and people who have no patience in queues.
Sounds like you made your own version of irish champ, i make it occasionally,
mash potatoes, add cream black pepper and scallions (spring onions to you)
We sometimes add fried bacon and /cabbage/cheese.
Tastes even better next day fried (like bubble and squeek)
You can even use it as a topping for fish pie or cottage pie, or bulk it out with flaked fish and make fish cakes.
Suzi x

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
cugila said:
Hi Hana.

Sending this on my Blackberry........see you in about half an hour.
Can you chill my Guinness please ? :D BTW, if you do put any music on - can you make sure it's not your mate Ian's choice..... :wink:

Ken. :lol:
:(

Sweet3x

Umm I'm obviously being stupid here, but what's the difference between that and .. mash potato? Colcannon? whatever you want to call it. That's how I make mine.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
Hi sweets
Mashed potato has only the butter and cream( or milk) the cheese and cabbage makes it different.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
I like mashed cauliflower, but I've adored potatoes all my life.
I shall go to Sainsbury's and get some Vivaldi potatoes, which are lower carb.

iHs

a couple of years ago, a market seller in Essex where I lived was selling loads of bags of Vivaldi potatoes at a reduced price. I don't think they were good sellers in the supermarket probably because of the high price that was being charged. I didn't think that they did much to my bg levels so didn't purchase anymore :roll:

What might work in reducing the carb content in eating potatoes is to use Smash and use Xanthan gum which acts as a thickener so less could in actual fact produce more as it should make the instant potatoe granules expand :mrgreen:

Sweet3x

hanadr said:
Hi sweets
Mashed potato has only the butter and cream( or milk) the cheese and cabbage makes it different.

oh, Right. Ok, I'm still a little confused. You are on a low-carb diet? How does the addition of cheese and cabbage allow you to 'get away with' potatoes?
I'm really not trying to be rude or argumentative or anything that I know people will think.
It's just that I frequently make bubble and squeak, or colcannon, or mash and cabbage, whatever you want to call it, and I'm surprised you hadn't heard of it before, especially (and I mean no discrepect here!)as a lady of your age (you say you are a grandmother, I think I've read? grandmas normally know all the most scrummy ways of serving food!) - I could understand someone in their teens, even early 20's not having had it.
I'm guessing by adding cabbage, you stretch out the potato, so it feels you are eating more, but not taking too many carbs?

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Sweet3x said:
as a lady of your age (you say you are a grandmother, I think I've read? grandmas normally know all the most scrummy ways of serving food!)

That might just be the most diplomatic thing I've ever read on this forum! :wink:

[P.S - I never met a Granny who's cooking I didn't LOVE...]