Need help ASAP

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. After you have managed to reduce your blood sugar and ketones following some of the advice above probably going to A&E if needed, I think you may need to check your insulin balance with the nurse. It's possible your background insulin needs tweaking up a bit and the nurse can guide you. If you are not carb-counting i.e. adjusting your meal-time insulin to match the mealtime carbs then do ask the nurse for guidance. Do come back if you need more guidance but hopefully your surgery or clinic nurse can help you. Going into DKA should be a very rare event once the insulin is a balanced although some people are an exception.

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
Thanks everyone for last night. My BS are back down to normal now and my ketones and fine x
Hi robynberrill, good to see your ok today,may i recommend a book by dr richard bernstein: diabetes explained 4 th edition, here he explains how to adjust insulin doses and what to do in the event of.... I have found his work to be very useful.clive

Reactions: 2 people

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
Glad you are ok. Don't forget to ask for a whole lot more ketone testing strips.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Picked up my prescription and they didn't even put ketone strips on it so they didn't even know about them

That's not uncommon unfortunately. I used to have ketone sticks on my prescription but they were taken off. It took my DSN phoning them to get me some, and even now they won't put them on my repeat prescription.

Try giving your surgery a ring first and see if they'll do a prescription for you. If you have trouble, you could phone your DSN or hosputal team.