21 year old, newly diagnosed, type 2!

ClaireLou94

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Rude people
It's best to have a 3 month test, and if they don't contact you about this you should ask for it. The HbA1c tells you what your BGs have been like over the previous approx 3 months. IMO everyone should have this test every 3 months until their diabetes is well controlled, then it should be every 6 months then eventually 12 months if all is going well.

As DeeJay says, you may need to be a bit more assertive with them than you are used to. Sometimes they can have a too relaxed attitude to these things, when I'd imagine you want to get things under control as quickly as possible and keep them that way. The metformin helps but the main way to get diabetes under control is to reduce your carbs and portion sizes so you lose weight. This is also the easiest way to lose weight that I know of.

Thanks for the advice ill have words with the nurse when I next go! ill ask more questions and everything!xx

A new man

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Claire I was diagnosed type 2 at the same age as you after finishing uni ! I listened to the doctors but did virtually ignore my levels and never took any readings - my medication crept up and up but they reassured me that this was inevitable and not related to my diet! I ended up on insulin at the age of 36 and decided it was time to take it seriously! I have been eating under 50g carb a day on average since then and have had to reduce my insulin as a result as my control is so good and my readings are excellent (also I joined a gym 2 weeks ago and this has helped even more as I go 4-5 times a week which keeps my blood sugar low mostly 4's) - I can't recommend highly enough a mixture of low carb and exercise as a way to control your diabetes - it should enable you to accept your diagnosis and know it's under control (unlike my own actions all those years ago) - good luck and keep us updated!

Reactions: 6 people

mogzilian

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Claire

Your results are looking good, they have come down a lot so far. I'd suggest that if you can be around 4.9 or even up to 5.5 before a meal, then reducing some carbs should ensure you only spike by about 2 points, which will keep you under the target limit of 7.8.

15 sounds like it was probably your HbA1c, which is pretty high, but if you keep doing what you're doing, and reduce some carbs, it should be much better at your 3 month test.

In your OP you said your parents are telling you this is serious and others says it's just about changing your eating - well, they are both right, IMO. Exercise helps but reducing carbs is very important. You will also most probably find that it helps you lose some weight too.

I went from 22 stone to 12 stone in a year through low carbing, and if I can do it, anyone can :)

Wow! 22 to 12 stone is AMAZING! I'm so impressed! Wicked!

Reactions: 2 people

ClaireLou94

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Rude people
Hi Claire I was diagnosed type 2 at the same age as you after finishing uni ! I listened to the doctors but did virtually ignore my levels and never took any readings - my medication crept up and up but they reassured me that this was inevitable and not related to my diet! I ended up on insulin at the age of 36 and decided it was time to take it seriously! I have been eating under 50g carb a day on average since then and have had to reduce my insulin as a result as my control is so good and my readings are excellent (also I joined a gym 2 weeks ago and this has helped even more as I go 4-5 times a week which keeps my blood sugar low mostly 4's) - I can't recommend highly enough a mixture of low carb and exercise as a way to control your diabetes - it should enable you to accept your diagnosis and know it's under control (unlike my own actions all those years ago) - good luck and keep us updated!

Its good to hear other peoples stories and how they have coped, thanks for letting me know! for exercise I walk to and from work everyday and I am constantly on my feet during the day doing lots of physical activity's because of my job I never get to sit down for long ( I work in child care)
Thanks for the advice ! x

Suzannelife

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
BOLL
Don't worry. it is just about moderation on food intake. Keep healthy diet and custom your exercise.