Told I don't have to test my sugar levels

xkmac3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi everyone,
So I went to see my doctor last week for more blood test results and was told that my liver and kidneys are fine. He said my blood sugar had dropped to 6.9 but to keep taking the medication and its normal it for the meds to affect the way food tastes . When asked he said I don't have to test my sugar levels and to keep following the diet sheet to lower my cholesterol. He told me that my thyroid is under active and gave meds for it and to come back in a month to see if it is making a difference or if the dose should be increased. I'm not into sweets anyway so haven't had to cut hardly any sugar from my diet, but have noticed that if I eat the Special K containing dried fruit I get really sleepy. Should I buy a monitor anyway? I'm confused, I thought I would have to see a diabetic nurse as well. Is it normal to have very little appetite?

Thank for all your advice and comments :)

fergus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi Kerrie,

In your shoes, I'd definately get my hands on a glucose testing meter. Testing your blood sugar a couple of hours or so after eating is the only way to discover how the foods you eat affect you. No 2 people will react in exactly the same way to the same food, so simply going by a diet sheet won't give you an accurate picture of what's going on.

You say you don't eat sweet things, but have you checked the nutritional info of the side of your Special K cereal? Rice, sugar and wheat flour, and an astonishing 76g carbohydrate per 100g. As far as your body's concerned, this is not too far from eating pure sugar! The flour and rice will be converted to glucose almost instantly, and I reckon one hour after eating that, your blood glucose levels will be sky high.

Go get a meter!

All the best,

fergus

Stuboy

Dislikes
Crowds. Being high. Being Hypo.
testing is the best tool we have for controlling our diabetes, no one has the right to tell you not to test.

Go and get yourself a meter and test as much as YOU need to. How else are you gonna know how certain foods affect you?

Stu

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.

Attachments

• 102.gif
    102.gif
    6 KB · Views: 1,030
  • BangHead.gif
    BangHead.gif
    904 bytes · Views: 845
  • Christo_pull_hair.gif
    Christo_pull_hair.gif
    613 bytes · Views: 838

xkmac3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi everyone, :D
Thanks again for your advice. I ordered a meter which should be here monday. What is considered to be too high or too low as far as blood sugar levels go? I'm pretty sure I'll have more questions once I've got the meter.

Thank you,

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
hya kerrie,
most will say the best range to be is between 4 and 7 mmol before meals,although my diabetic nurse says anything in single numbers i.e under 10mmol,but as near to 4 and 7 mmol b4 meals would be ideal,if in any doubt see your dr or diabetic nurse
good luck
amanda :wink:

hen

i always thought monitors and strips were free
i can get all my strips free
and got a free monitor from nurse

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Welcome to the forum Hen,it's good that you are getting your free strips and monitor.Other type 2's on diet only are being refused these in some parts of the country.I hope you will enjoy browsing the forum and pick up some good hints from the site.Any questions ,just ask,there's usually someone with the answer.

ally5555

hi - that diabetic nurse sounds a bit out of date - that was the guideline 5 years ago .

has the doctor just given you a diet sheet - you need individual advice from a dietitian - doctors havent a clue!

And yes you need a meter - I find that ridiculous how can you tell what is going on without one.

Stuboy

Dislikes
Crowds. Being high. Being Hypo.
yeh... between 4 and 7 is "normal" but dont test within 2 horus after eating... it will be high! It's not uncommon for a non-diabetic to be into double figures after a meal.

I was told by a consultant that as long as the reading are below 13mmolL (!) then your HbA1c's will be within 7%

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
There seems to be some confusion here between normal blood sugar values on a daily basis and Hba1c percentages!! Normal blood sugar values should ,preferably be under 7mmol/l if this is your average every day then your Hba1c,which is a percentage of what the glucose in your blood is over 90days should be round about 6%.
A consultant telling you this is a bit worrying!!

Marz Barr

some dr have said between 4 and 7 to me others have told me between 4 and 10 i prefer to keep mine between 4 and 7

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I test my glucose levels, every so often, because I'm on rationed strips, but I found out I can get them direct from Abbott at a bearable price. (see my post on the subject) I very inrfrequently, eat some diabetic chocolate. I know they tell us not to, but I get occasional cravings and a square of the dark stuff doesn't do it for me.
A month or so ago I met a newly diagnosed woman at the diabetic chocolate shelf in Boots. She too had been told Not to test herself. and to go to the practice nurse once a month. I thought that dreadful. so told her about Abbott's service and the Bernstein book.
I caqn be very subversive.

sixfoot

Sugarless were you having a funny turn there a couple of posting back ?? Reckon you might need a swig of lucozade and a mars bar :D

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
hanadr said:
A month or so ago I met a newly diagnosed woman at the diabetic chocolate shelf in Boots. She too had been told Not to test herself. and to go to the practice nurse once a month. I thought that dreadful. so told her about Abbott's service and the Bernstein book.
I caqn be very subversive.
Hope you also told her not to touch "diabetic" chocolate with a bargepole. It doesn't contain sugar but is instead made with a sugar alcohol (usually sorbitol or maltitol). Not only does it give you almost the same sugar intake as normal chocolate, but you also get the added bonus of the world's finest laxatives!!