Anyone got worse luck with health than me?

Len_Smith

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
misleading advertisements
Can you beat this?

Jan 2013 Hodgkin Lymphoma with 7 months of chemo

March 2015 sudden onset on diabetes going straight on to insulin

August 2015 Heart Attack requiring 2 stents to repair blockages.

If you don't laugh you'd cry :)
Hi
I don't know about beating your unfortunate record but I think mine is longer
June 2009 had a stent put into an aortic aneurism and a femoral crossover.
July to September three infections at the crossover joint requiring surgery.
December 2011 stent blocked and surgery to place a tube from the shoulder to groin to provide blood to the legs
December 2011 operation successful but right leg without blood too and had to be amputated, within a week an infection in the stump requiring a further operation
January 2012 to March 2012 MRSA infection followed by kidney failure due to toxic shock requiring 3 weeks of dialysis. This was followed by pneumonia.
December 2012 the tube feeding blood to my became blocked and required an operation to clear it.
March 2013 this tube became blocked again and a new tube put from my other shoulder to provide blood to my leg
June 2013 stump became infected and required antibiotics via a drip every day for 7 months.
March 2014 second toe on remaining foot went black and eventually was amputated.
July 2015 diagnosed as type two diabetic
Still as I told my wife "at least I am still here and still have my marbles", she questioned the second part saying you lost your marbles years ago.
Good luck and better health to you all.

Reactions: 4 people

drakman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
racism, bigotry and fashion
I seem to be following a patern over the last 6 years I have something new each year, 6 years ago T2 on tablets 5 years ago heart issue just avoided congestive failure with a stent, 4 years ago new drugs for IBS and cholesterol, 3 years ago eyesight started to get worse, so reading glasses, 2 years ago diabetic crisis add gliclazide last year thyroid deficiency so thyroxine, this year diabetes got worse now on insulin and have restricted driving licence, hope next year is kind for once, I really get down at times with it, on top of things I already have to deal with with arthritis, spondilolysesis, severe rapid bi-polar disorder and Asbergers syndrome.
still could be worse I guess, glad it is not

Reactions: 2 people

maureen5752

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Life's to short , always someone worse of I say, I had bad car accident at 4yrs old they wanted to amputate leg, luckily I've still got it tho it's been suggested again in past few years! ( I'm in continual pain, leg badly deformed) No chance I keep fighting. Had appendices, told operate within 8 hours or else!!! Got macular both eyes, and cataracts, lived in Middle East and was in The war for 8 years, i was petrified, saw so much, lost my first child, lost both parents to cancer, had gallbladder out ect, I get down we all do but I have a beAutiful daughter in her 20's, so proud of her, when you feel down just go for a walk or start bashing your pillow let the stress out, someone once said to me there are people 6feet under that would love to be in our shoes! It's not easy but try to smile and plod on!!! Life's short enough. Hope I've not bored you all. Good luck to you all, ps I'm 63! And feel same as when I was 15

15!!!

Reactions: 6 people

Gardengnome

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
going to a gym
Awful as that is at least you survived thanks to the good old NHS. Better health in the future.

I've been lucky so far, but my younger stepbrother was far less lucky. He lost his mother when he was 3 months old to a brain tumour, his father to a heart attack when he was 5 years old [his father and my stepfather was only 33 yrs old]. He developed epilepsy at 14 and married in his late 30's. His first baby was stillborn, but he went on to have 2 healthy children, his wife developed and subsequently died of breast cancer when the children were 12 and 13. A few years after that he had laryngeal cancer which he survived, he then lost all his teeth due to an argument with the corner of a table during an epileptic fit. he had a TIA which left him permanently blind in one eye and has had a second TIA and had a stent fitted to unblock a carotid artery. I don't think I've missed anything out . And I worry about having hypertension and prediabetes.

Gardengnome

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
going to a gym
Forgot to add that he will be 68 so all told has done quite well so far !

Roy24

Can you beat this?

Jan 2013 Hodgkin Lymphoma with 7 months of chemo

March 2015 sudden onset on diabetes going straight on to insulin

August 2015 Heart Attack requiring 2 stents to repair blockages.

If you don't laugh you'd cry :)
I had a car accident in 1995, My wife and two daughters killed I was in a coma for a few months and then had to relearn everything and was left with a limp and no feeling from the broken neck and fractured skull. In 1997 I had my first heart attack, Hospital misdiagnosed me and by the time it was found out I had permanent damage to the heart. As the blockage was too big a stent could not be put in place. And this restricted by movements, had couple more bad angina attacks and then while on holiday in spain in 2003 I had another big heart attack and was taken to Marbella hospital and then on to Malaga where a triple by pass was performed. Unfortunately when I came back to England the sticking inside started to come undone and hernia developed. I was operated on and an infection was introduced into me something like the MSRA virus. For six months I had an open wound and a daily dressing change inside me till it healed up. Now I have two belly buttons. I went on holiday to grenada couple of years later and then picked up Dengue fever that laid me up for further month.. I had again in my side and went to doctor and she sent me for a scan where it was discovered I had an Aorta aneurism a that needs checking all the time. Then in 2009 I went to the doctor with a lump on the side of the face, He said it was a parantoid tumour. The surgeon did a biopsy and said it was not cancerous but to have it removed anyway. Just as well I did, when it was removed six months later he said it was cancerous but he thought he had got it all. A Ct scan was ordered and the cancer had spread (Non Hodgkin Lymphoma). They done a bone marrow test and it was in the bones as well. I was stage 4. Next came 8 months of chemo. This wasn't successful and the tumour regrew. Now they decided to try Radio therapy. this shrank the tumour and we continued on with a new chemo every three months for three years. At the end of the Three years I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and ended up on insulin injections. Then my nurse and partner decided to get married in 2014. Two days later i had another big heart attack, Iive 10 mins from Maidstone hospital. An Ambulance came very quickly and maidstone did not want me so I was sent to Ashford. Ashford said they didn't want me until maidstone had examined me, Back to Maidstone, Now Ashford didn't want me so i was sent to St Thomas in London (opposite the Houses of Parliament.) and 5 hours later they operated on me. Again the doctors said that because of the delay I have a clot in the heart and now have heart failure. So since 2003 after doctors in two hospitals said I was unfit to work, the DWP doctor said i was fit and month later I had my bypass in Spain. So since then I have had no money to live on. I have had to buy my own mobility scooter and now Im aving up for a car that we can put it in. But if you have a better tragedy let me know. Just wish there was somehow to sue them all for negligence.

maureen5752

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had a car accident in 1995, My wife and two daughters killed I was in a coma for a few months and then had to relearn everything and was left with a limp and no feeling from the broken neck and fractured skull. In 1997 I had my first heart attack, Hospital misdiagnosed me and by the time it was found out I had permanent damage to the heart. As the blockage was too big a stent could not be put in place. And this restricted by movements, had couple more bad angina attacks and then while on holiday in spain in 2003 I had another big heart attack and was taken to Marbella hospital and then on to Malaga where a triple by pass was performed. Unfortunately when I came back to England the sticking inside started to come undone and hernia developed. I was operated on and an infection was introduced into me something like the MSRA virus. For six months I had an open wound and a daily dressing change inside me till it healed up. Now I have two belly buttons. I went on holiday to grenada couple of years later and then picked up Dengue fever that laid me up for further month.. I had again in my side and went to doctor and she sent me for a scan where it was discovered I had an Aorta aneurism a that needs checking all the time. Then in 2009 I went to the doctor with a lump on the side of the face, He said it was a parantoid tumour. The surgeon did a biopsy and said it was not cancerous but to have it removed anyway. Just as well I did, when it was removed six months later he said it was cancerous but he thought he had got it all. A Ct scan was ordered and the cancer had spread (Non Hodgkin Lymphoma). They done a bone marrow test and it was in the bones as well. I was stage 4. Next came 8 months of chemo. This wasn't successful and the tumour regrew. Now they decided to try Radio therapy. this shrank the tumour and we continued on with a new chemo every three months for three years. At the end of the Three years I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and ended up on insulin injections. Then my nurse and partner decided to get married in 2014. Two days later i had another big heart attack, Iive 10 mins from Maidstone hospital. An Ambulance came very quickly and maidstone did not want me so I was sent to Ashford. Ashford said they didn't want me until maidstone had examined me, Back to Maidstone, Now Ashford didn't want me so i was sent to St Thomas in London (opposite the Houses of Parliament.) and 5 hours later they operated on me. Again the doctors said that because of the delay I have a clot in the heart and now have heart failure. So since 2003 after doctors in two hospitals said I was unfit to work, the DWP doctor said i was fit and month later I had my bypass in Spain. So since then I have had no money to live on. I have had to buy my own mobility scooter and now Im aving up for a car that we can put it in. But if you have a better tragedy let me know. Just wish there was somehow to sue them all for neglige nce.
Seems like we are all letting it out tonight, it does help to talk, I was given 2 hours to live when I had my accident, thank god I'm still here, my mom had a baby 20 days after my accident he had speech problems but he's ok now, m y mom died of breast cancer and leukemia while I was in Iran and dad died of cancer while I was there, saddest time of my life getting that news, my husband is blind in central vision of one eye cos of macular and cataract op, I suffer with arthritis (can't spell that ha ha) and othere health problems, had to learn to walk Again after my accident, I walk with walking aid, loads has happened to me but as you all have said you've all had sadness in your life and come through, so we can all help each other and get through this diabetes, good luck to you all.

Arab Horse

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Wow, my heartfelt sympathy and BIG CONGRATULATIONS to all of you. What you have all gone through is totally awe inspiring and humbling too. I am sitting here with my arm elevated as I smashed my wrist badly, 5 bone fragments, just over a week ago; went to the hospital on Wednesday to have it re x rayed and the plaster replaced as the swelling went down but it is still far too swollen to replace the plaster. I was knocked flying by my lovely Arab stallion as I was bringing him in from his field. He is such a sweetheart and would never deliberately hurt me. Luckily my husband has been helping me and I have found someone I can pay to do most of the work in the stables so I count myself fortunate there. I have osteoporosis so praying the wrist heals OK; they manipulated it back in place in A and E but said wiring was not an option as the bones are too fragile.

This afternoon I go for a root canal filling, oh joy.

My problems are very minor; diabetes or I wouldn't be here and some osteoarthritis and I salute all of you with such a list of nasties, so glad I can''t compete with you!!!!!

I am also extremely fortunate in that I recently got a Shynx cat, the gorgeous ELLA (Adtish Princess Ella to give her her full name) and she is so lovely, she makes my heart sing every time she jumps on my lap. She is a naughty little minx, or should that be Sphynx), two years old and a right madam. She is a prolific typist. While I had two hands I could use the keyboard with one hand and keep her off with the other, now I can only type when she is asleep. She types pages of goobledegook, alters the font, changes the script and even manages to get the computer background codes rather than letters! I have to switch the computer off so that it can reset itself and lose what I have written, such a clever girl, not!!!

Again, I salute you all and a HUGE prayer that you all have better health in the future, or, if not, that life doesn't throw any more nasties your way.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I think personally that if it hadn't been for the NHS many of us would be dead.. Although we pay in our taxes I joined up in our Patients Participation Group to give a little more back. We fund raise and help with improving things. Currently trying to raise £2000 for a cobas machine to diagnose heart and dvt troubles immediately at a GP rather than waiting weeks on the queues at hospitals. The NHS don't supply these machines to GPs.

I think having an illness or two etc can be used positively. I'm now in talks with consultants at our hospital (when my current treatment finishes) to set up a charity for patients in our County.

If I hadn't had superb help keeping me alive then I would not have got involved.

Think its important to give help back to raise awareness and to help people with their health too.

Reactions: 7 people

rosserk

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The stories on these pages are inspiring and make me feel very lucky! I hope things get better for all of you and thank you for sharing.

taffy64uk

Yes my partner has here is his list of conditions
DEAF
BLIND
DIABETIC
HAD HEART ATTACK STENTS FITTED
FIBROMYALGIA
POLYMYALGIA
USHERS TYPE 3
VISUAL CORTEX DISIRDER
the list goes on and on he had said please don't let it get you down Eric has a Guidedogs called Elliot he goes everywhere by himself he also fundraisers for 4 charities he has for over 30 years
And he would not have a bad word said against the NHS they are fantastic could not live in America otherwise I'd be left with no help what don't we all do something for the NHS and fight this government over their plans
But there is always somebody worse of than me

Last edited by a moderator:

Ailidh

What a catharsis this thread has been!

I just wanted to salute a fellow lymphoma survivor of the class of '13 - mine was diagnosed in April; chemo and radio.

And yes, I also salute the nhs. For all the odd bits that have gone wrong in my treatment, I was diagnosed in 2013 almost before it had had time to develop. With the diabetes, I've had amazing support from my GP and DN and all the ancillary referrals.

rosserk

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
What a catharsis this thread has been!

I just wanted to salute a fellow lymphoma survivor of the class of '13 - mine was diagnosed in April; chemo and radio.

And yes, I also salute the nhs. For all the odd bits that have gone wrong in my treatment, I was diagnosed in 2013 almost before it had had time to develop. With the diabetes, I've had amazing support from my GP and DN and all the ancillary referrals.

Catharsis sums it up nicely!

Congratulations and well done to you, I hope your health continues to improve!

rosserk

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes my partner has here is his list of conditions
DEAF
BLIND
DIABETIC
HAD HEART ATTACK STENTS FITTED
FIBROMYALGIA
POLYMYALGIA
USHERS TYPE 3
VISUAL CORTEX DISIRDER
the list goes on and on he had said please don't let it get you down Eric has a Guidedogs called Elliot he goes everywhere by himself he also fundraisers for 4 charities he has for over 30 years
And he would not have a bad word said against the NHS they are fantastic could not live in America otherwise I'd be left with no help what don't we all do something for the NHS and fight this government over their plans
But there is always somebody worse of than me

What fantastic achievements Eric has made, you must be really proud of him and of course Elliot!

Fozzy_Bear_

Just been catching up on the thread as I was back in A&E last week X2 with really bad chest pains. Luckily not anothrt MI just bad angina, they think. Got another med to take.

There are some truly amazing people out there who deserve better health. I feel privileged that so many people have opened a window to their lives and shared their stories with us all.

Here's hoping for better things and much happiness for everyone in the coming years.

rosserk

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just been catching up on the thread as I was back in A&E last week X2 with really bad chest pains. Luckily not anothrt MI just bad angina, they think. Got another med to take.

There are some truly amazing people out there who deserve better health. I feel privileged that so many people have opened a window to their lives and shared their stories with us all.

Here's hoping for better things and much happiness for everyone in the coming years.

Agh no poor you! Hopefully you're feeling a bit better now your'e home. No one likes hospitals at the best of times and it's always nice to go home. I hope you're following all the advice you've been given and you pick up again real soon. Take care x

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Is that artificial sweeteners as I use that as well

Yes, unfortunately I have found all artificial sweeteners affect me. Not just aspartame. I've been thru them all now. Guaranteed I will be ill with pain back in my legs for a week.

If this pain returns 10,000 steps each day will ease it (but still there), but going to gym and doing leg presses or curls etc deepens the pain. Now, much against my wanting...if I stupidly end up with artificial anything I have found pain is back night and day in my legs and I'm awake all night (it seems) in agony.

Am slowly finding ways to relieve it.. Have got a one to one again this Fri to go through treadmill walks I can do instead of presses etc. Do my best to get 10k steps each and everyday and purely eating stuff at home at the moment. Had one meal out on spur of moment last week with friends. HD friend camembert with a sweet onion sauce and stacks of salad. Either the coating on the cheese or something in the onion sauce crucified me again.

I just try to eat natural foods but can't and won't avoid meals out with friends. Just got to learn to make better choices.....