"Nope, nothing for me thanks."

acron^

Dislikes
Diabetes?
Ok, this is a rant.

Is it just me or is there a distinct lack of consideration for diabetics in mainstream catering, especially when diabetes is suppose to be on the increase?

By this I mean, I went to a pub quiz this evening and half-way through they hand out some food. Tonight it was chips, popadoms, vegetable samosas and chicken korma. Nothing diabetic friendly :( So I utter those immortal words (in the topic) and have to sit there, feeling hungry watching everyone else stuff their faces. Then I'll get the comments "Oh, why aren't you eating?", "I thought it was just sugar you couldn't eat." Sigh.

And they'd run out of pork scratchings.

Reactions: 2 people

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Unfortunately we are a minority Acron^ so they cater to the majority which of course is carbs!!! If this is a pub that you usually visit why don't you suggest this to them ,they may then put on an option.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I know its difficult to guess how many carbs in Indian food and they are often very high in fat which would slow things down, but the korma and poppadum shouldn't have been too bad.
If it had been me I would have made a minimal estimate of the carbs I was eating (and then probably add a unit but thats me and I often shouldn't and regret it later) I'd be prepared to either do a correction or eat a small something a couple of hours later. You get better at guestimating i with practice .
What I hate about meals like that is the lack veg (I bet there wasn't a lot in the samosas), they put a lettuce leaf on it and call it a salad.

suzi

Dislikes
people who are rude and ignorant, and people who have no patience in queues.
Acron, try being diabetic and coeliac (gluten/wheat free diet), like my son. At least what was on offer you could eat, so it wasn't low carb, at least you could eat it and adjust your insulin.
Suzi x

kegstore

Dislikes
Unnecessary rudeness, and any PC
And why ruin a perfectly acceptable Indian meal with chips? Eating out always puts the pressure on as it's less socially acceptable to take your scales with you! Furthermore anything with a lower GI makes managing insulin very tricky unless you have a pump.

Doczoc

I actually am OK with social situations like that I can just zone out of the food and it really doesn't tempt me. It does get on my pip when people keep 'helpfully' offering me things that I am allowed (at least in their eyes). I know they are being nice but it gets wearing. It doesn't help that my bosses husband is a type 1 who eats anything he wants, she thinks I can do the same as a type 2 not using insulin!

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I put a little fridge box of bits of raw veggies into my bag. I then find that everyone else would rather have my carrot sticks than a sandwich.

yipster29

I'm with you Acron^

Gets damned annoying travelling with your own 'snack pack' when what everywhere dishes up is full of carbs :-(

Yes I appreciate others have it worse but it's still a nuisance!! :)

the_anticarb

Dislikes
Spiders, winter, bills, ignorance, prejudice
As I follow a low carb approach I have found that when I go out for a meal, I can typically only eat half the meal, ie just the protein/meat part and the veg! I have got used to leaving the starchy carbs behind, and I seem to get as full without them as in the old days when I ate the carbs and the non carbs, so I don't see it as a massive waste. BUT recently I have started asking for extra veg instead of chips/rice/potatoes and most places will willingly oblige. I just say 'I can't eat chips can I have some extra salad please' and mostly they will just charge the same as the original meal, plus it means I don't have to leave half the food on the plate.

But I remember at school being taught that a balanced meal had protein, carbohydrate and vegetables in it This coupled with the fact that most starchy carbs are relatively inexpensive compared to the protein element may explain why it will take some time before restaurants put low carb dishes on the menu

yipster29

I've been doing the same AC and have found most places oblige, and if they don't I don't go back!! Saves me feeling bad about not finishing the meal in the way I was bought up too! :D

Handyníall

Dislikes
Anything that'll wake us up before noon on a weekend...
I've found myself eating more salads now. I never used to touch salad until I came to Dublin, since then it's been low-carb all the way.

However, I do enjoy sushi and stew. These are the only 2 things that I will allow carbs in and I occassionally indulge in some ramen. But other than that, I'm a strict no-carber. Normally 75>g a day is I was to have a guess.

I think that the reason restaurants stuff their plates with carbs is because they make you feel more full up and are cheaper. So you can live with tiny little steaks.

Dobbs

Pubs in Holland, where I live, are pretty good for the low-carbing diabetic. As snacks they offer things like a plate of cubes of "old cheese" (sort of mature cheddar) with mustard, or a plate of cubes of salami, or a bowl of mixed nuts. The more evil side of their offerings is the cheese and ham toasted sandwiches, or the "bitterballs", a deep fried concoction that is very tasty but what they contain is scary even if you're not a diabetic! (plus there are different theories about what they actually DO contain)... :twisted:

spinningwoman

Buffets are an occupational hazard for me. Two today, both devoid of anything I should eat except some wizened little sausages and (at one) a nice plate of carrot and cucumber sticks. Contrast this with a colleagues party in an upmarket local pub/restaurant recently where I was so stunned at the range of edible, delicious food (no quiche; a couple of different kinds of frittata, NO sandwiches) that I went and asked the owner if they had been particularly asked to avoid starchy food for some reason, but she said no- they hadn't been given any brief; this was just the kind of food they liked to eat.

I'm moving to a new job where I will be more senior and I'm seriously thinking I will issue some guidelines - it's not just me; today at both buffets I heard comments from several people that they couldn't eat wheat, or that there was nothing that they were allowed.