Changing Basal Rate

debsone

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi, I'm having problems with changing my basal rate on my pump. At 6am I'm having really low blood sugars but I'm not sure which time block needs adjusting. Would really appreciated some help on this because I'm really worried. Thank you

xAoifex

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I was taught to change the basal 2 hours before when you wanted it to take effect so about 4am would be a good starting point but it may well take some trial and error!

debsone

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I was taught to change the basal 2 hours before when you wanted it to take effect so about 4am would be a good starting point but it may well take some trial and error!
Thank you so much for your help. I will make the adjustment now.

iHs

I would urge lookig at the midnight and 2am bg first before attempting to change the 4am basal rate. If the 2am bg test reveals lower than ideal target level, then change that one first to see if the change alters the 4am bg which it should do.

Reactions: 4 people

fred1234

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Yikes this all sounds so complicated......I might talk bout to diabetic team to change to basal\bolus, but when I read of the issues 're changing doses etc...birdcage the life out of me. I know it would be of benefit to help my b.s. but eeek!!!!

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Yikes this all sounds so complicated......I might talk bout to diabetic team to change to basal\bolus, but when I read of the issues 're changing doses etc...birdcage the life out of me. I know it would be of benefit to help my b.s. but eeek!!!!
Carb counting is in fact very simple to do so worry not :)

Reactions: 2 people