Dislikes
Chocolate,Cheese
Re: Stress/cuddle

Come on sue, :)
Thats part of your exercise for today.
Stretch them arms :twisted:

C

catherinecherub

I have a diploma in anatomy, physiology and massage and I think that a full body massage is the best stress buster that I know. The therapist needs a strong back and hands as it is exhausting.
There are contra indications and a good therapist would not practise on anyone without a full medical history. They also would not practise on anyone who is under medical supervision without medical consent.
Diabetes is not contra indicated but it would still be prudent to ask your G.P. if he is in agreement.
Therapists have to be insured and if you decide to go ahead with a massage please ask to see the insurance documents.
Contra indications include : -
Infections.
Open wounds.
Pregnant women must not be massaged over the abdomen.
Cardio vascular conditions.
Varicose veins.
Pacemakers.
Recent scar tissue.
Any area of unexplained pain.
Any area of inflamation.
High temperature.
Cancer sufferers.
Anyone under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
Any area of bruising.
Recently healed broken bones.
Anyone suffering from Aids or HIV.
Because these conditions are contra indicated it does not mean that your G.P. would automatically disapprove but you do need his consent for your sake and the therapist. I myself have several medical issues but my G.P. does not have any objection to my receiving this treatment.
I have used this treatment on friends and family and some clients within my work area and they have all said how relaxed they feel for several days afterwards.

Orchid

For those moments of stress when you can't walk, do exercieses etc. E.g. while sitting in a traffic jam when you're in a hurry or in a meeting where blame is being flung around etc.

Take in a long breath - count slowly to 5 as you do it, hold it in for a second or so, then breathe out slowly counting to 5 slowly as you do - it helps!

Orchid x

C

catherinecherub

Maybe next year. I am hoping to retire early next year and concentrate on the massage. I have had enough of pen pushing. I became a psychiatric nurse to help people less fortunate than myself but seem to spend a vast amount of time doing paperwork. Since becoming a widow I have learned that you have to make the most of every day and enjoy what you are doing. My children have flown the nest and want me to be happy.
Regards, Catherine.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Ah the ever present paperwork!!I spend so much time writing that I don't have time for looking after residents,something very wrong there!!

C

catherinecherub

I do enjoy the forum and I like to debate things. I know that there are some genuine people here who help people in distress. Life has been a ***** for me at times but I think that is character building and there is always someone worse off.
Everyone gets fed up at times, that is human but we can't dwell on things that we cannot change.
Regards, Catherine.

venugopal

Hi,
This is Dr.Venugopal from India. I am a Yoga and Naturopathy doctor back here. We have practically seen that yoga makes wonders not only in reducing stress, but also controls hyperglycaemia.
I myself have treated a couple of patients with type 2 diabetes, with blood glucose level ranging between 7.5- 8.5 mmol without any drugs, through yoga and diet alone.
One important thing that you have got to watch out is to get a right, knowledgeable yoga instructor. If you get one, you can start straight away without any hesitation of getting side effects. I am telling these out of own experience of treating a number of patients. so, dont worry. All the best. Take care. Bye

dr.sweet

the best way to forget the stress in my opinion are in two ways : 1) visiting and seeing family and friends 2) keeping ur mind and hand busy with something else

i never done yoga , but i studied a little about it and it is one of the best exercises for mind refresh, calm ur mind , tune in, shape up, get in the mood , and it also teaches patient .

salsasue

Hi, yoga is good though have recently started tai chi and find that relaxing and de-stressing too. Also, listening to relaxing music, either classical or SOME 'new age spiritual' specially Robert Gass and On Wings of Song, a choral group. Don't care for whale and dolphin sound music though, just a little too far out, personally but everyone to their own, I say whatever works for various people for sure! :)

take care and best wishes, Salsasue

lizives

Love the remedy by Cavelioness - I will try that using the face of the Neighbour From HELL who is moving soon - hooray.
But - as an Aromatherapist, Reflexologist, Stress Therapist (who is very stressed herself) I can say that therapies such as these are for diabetics.
You must tell the therapist that you are Diabetic before starting any treatment and some may refuse to treat you. I always ask about their training and hope that their Tutors were like mine - very good! You may be asked to sign a disclaimer before treatment as I am normally. Choose a therapist who has proper professional qualifications and someone you feel comfortable with.
Aromatherapy is wonderful. :p Yes, there are oils that don't suit everyone but it boils down to what YOU like. I allowed my clients to smell the oils and decide for themselves after choosing oils that suited their problems. Take advice from the Aromatherapist treating you but make sure that she does a proper case study first before starting treatment. This applies to all therapies I should say. How else will they know who/what they are treating?
:?: Never heard of Epileptics not allowed Lavender before I must say. It is the universal oil, wonderful smell, so relaxing and my favourite. If all else fails, Lavender comes to the rescue. Just dont overdo it.
A gentle warm oil and hot stone massage will leave most people feeling great - quite "fluffy" is how I describe it. Dont be rushed by the therapist and have time to rest afterwards and DRINK plenty of water after a massage. Remember too, it should not hurt, be too heavy or leave bruises. Quite unecessary and unprofessional. Dont be afraid to say something to the therapist. This is your time and should be a pleasant experience, destressing and relaxing.
Reflexology is wonderful too but as diabetics we have to consider the problems that we may have with our feet, so again, tell the therapist all and ask her/him to be gentle. If you really have problems and are unable to feel the massage I would suggest that perhaps it may not be for you.
Just enjoy yourself and the feeling of relaxation that should follow your therapy.

dmk12

Hi I use to do karate and I found that a great stress buster. a punch bag can be a good way to punch away frustrations and stess. I resently started tai chi and am starting kick boxing next week.
I love the tai chi it really relaxes me and has put me in the mood to do something a bit more aggressive (not that I'm a violent person!). good luck with whatever you choose to help you. :)