Exercise...

ebony321

Dislikes
Tomatoes, Rude people, Bees!
Helloooo,

rightio, curious. exercise. can people with diabetics lose weight through exercise? im not quite sure how it would work? as exercising would lower your sugar before you used stored energy ? am i correct? i lost ALOT of weight through having diabetes but not going to the doctor. i did weigh 9'10 and went down to 8''2 in two months. i admit someone of my size 8''2 is very skinny. im not about 8''10 and happy with my weight. i want to exercise not only to keep the weight off but improve my fitness. i dont want to exercise... find ive gone low. treat the hypo then it have a knock on affect on my sugar at next meal and have to over compensate and then it adds what ive just worked my ass off to lose. does this make sense? i used to play football alot but im a bit scared to go back to it. for obvious reasons :(

copepod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
There's a good website for people with type 1 diabetes who want to do sports - many sports covered - www.runsweet.com
Your diabetes team should be able to give you appropraite advice, depending on the insulin regime you use, but basically, you can reduce insulin before exercising. Also, timing exercise to a few hours after most recent fast acting insulin, can help. You may also need to reduce long and short acting insulin in the hours after exercise. Hope you get back to football very soon - the season's started!

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Very few pwople lose weeight through exercise. It's not as simple as some magazines seenm to say. eg 3 miles running = a chocolate bar.
The best effect of exercise is to increase your metabloic rate, which does help with weight. But to lose, you really need to control food and do a sensible amount of exercise

martinsoton

Hi Guys

I have been training to ride from London to Paris to raise money for diabetes and here is what i have found.

I need between 15-25g of carbs (sugar) per hour of exercise in order to maintain a BS level of 6-7 mmol. As soon as i finish exercise i take another 10g of carbs and then try to have meal within an hour of finishing, and then carefully watch my readings for the next couple of hours. (test every hour). I am spending 6-7 hours on a bike but the same theory can be applied for less long periods of exercise.

I recommend testing your sugar 1 hours before exercise, and just before you start. (this will let you know if you bs levels are on the rise or fall). I always have the best exercise if my levels are below 10 prior to starting. Then test regularly through your exercise, and after a while you will get a gut feel of how your body will react to different levels of exercise over different periods of time.

It is worth thinking about reducing short acting insulin prior to exercise if you experience hypos as well as increasing carb intake.

Ask your nurse they love these sorts of questions

good luck

Martin

It has taken 4 or 5 attempts

ebony321

Dislikes
Tomatoes, Rude people, Bees!
Ooooh, that all sounds great :eek:) i shall have to ask my DN for information in more detail but thats a great start for me explaining what i need to know, im not intending to lose weight i just want to maintain my weight and keep healthy through exercise but without risking anything in the proccess, and i find it amazing your able to train for a marathon!! wow. thanks alot guysss xxxx